My trainer killed me with this exercise today

Options
Not sure if it has a name. (I could certainly give it a lot of names that I couldn't post here!)

Was in a modified push-up position with knees slightly bent. Instead of hands flat on the floor, I had them on 5 lb dumbells. After going down in the push-up movement, she had me come up with the dumbell doing a row. (Basically, balancing my weight on the other arm that was down on the floor.) Went down, and then up with the other arm in a row. She had me do three sets of those, alternating with a weighted bar over-head press.

I was thinking to myself that even if someone had a case of a million dollars in front of me during those push-up exercises, there was no way I would be able to complete the last few. I failed about five into the third set.

Whew. Try it :)

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    It is called a plank row with push up. Yours sounds like a modified one since your knees were bent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpB-ad8ezFE
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh, thanks Minnesota. Yes, I remember now that's what she called it. Thanks.

It's going to be a loooonnnnggg time before I could do that with a normal push-up.
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    My trainer went on a kick of these where we did them almost every session for about month.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for sharing it... I can't wait to try at the gym tomorrow! It's going to hurt so good...
    :laugh:
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You'll get there! In January I did these modified with 3lb dumbbells. Now I do them in full push-up position with 15lb dumbbells. :wink: Keep training...sounds like this trainer knows what he/she is doing!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    My trainer also makes me do them from time to time. They are good and I feel the burn afterwards.
  • teenyinni
    Options
    That sounds killer! For those that work with a trainer, how do you feel about it? I got one of those Groupon-type deals for 4 hour long sessions w/ a personal trainer (expires @ the end of Jan. 2012) but haven't decided when to start.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Is this something that I should be striving for? I've been going to the gym for about a month, how difficult is this???

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Nice job! We totally do those in our R.I.P.P.E.D. class..when we first started these..the modification was knees bent first....and I was like...no way..am I going to be one of the ones doing it on my toes...lol, lo and behold..I totally can do 'em..haha amazed myself...

You can totally do these :wink: ...you'll do fine and amaze yourself once you get the hang of 'em...**coming from a person that couldn't even do one military push-up..** Now I kick hiney..big time!!! :wink:
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    That sounds killer! For those that work with a trainer, how do you feel about it? I got one of those Groupon-type deals for 4 hour long sessions w/ a personal trainer (expires @ the end of Jan. 2012) but haven't decided when to start.

I love having a trainer. She pushes me and always changes things up so I never get bored. If it is a good deal I would go for it and see how you like it after 4 sessions. It really depends on the trainer and how you get along.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for sharing it... I can't wait to try at the gym tomorrow! It's going to hurt so good...
    :laugh:
    XD
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I do that as part of my circuit training routine. It drives me nuts and it's amazing!