BCAA worth it?

Options
I did a quick search on here and most of the topic on the first couple pages was how horrible they taste, but I have read on other sites how great BCAA's are on gaining m.mass and cutting fat. Curious if anyone here takes them and if you had good luck with them or if they are over hyped.

Just curious on the views of them. I do know that almost every place I read said that if you aren't going to take at least 40g it's not even worth going on them.

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I did a quick search on here and most of the topic on the first couple pages was how horrible they taste, but I have read on other sites how great BCAA's are on gaining m.mass and cutting fat. Curious if anyone here takes them and if you had good luck with them or if they are over hyped.

Just curious on the views of them. I do know that almost every place I read said that if you aren't going to take at least 40g it's not even worth going on them.

Yes, one of the best supplements you can do for yourself. Get a powdered BCAA blend (Scivation's Xtend, Controlled Labs Purple Wrath, or Optimum Nutrition Amino Acid powder) and take a dose before workout, during workout and a little bit after your workout and even throughout the day. It's truly one of the best things I've done while on my cut.
  • BrieC
    BrieC Posts: 26
    Options
    BCAA's are totally worth it I think, especially if you're running a caloric deficit, or training really heavy, as they help with muscle recovery and preservation. They don't all taste horrible, there are a few lines out there with some great flavors, I'll sometimes go with Xtend, but my all around favorite is Modern BCAA white blue razz, 8:1:1 profile and it tastes pretty good too
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    BCAA's are totally worth it I think, especially if you're running a caloric deficit, or training really heavy, as they help with muscle recovery and preservation. They don't all taste horrible, there are a few lines out there with some great flavors, I'll sometimes go with Xtend, but my all around favorite is Modern BCAA white blue razz, 8:1:1 profile and it tastes pretty good too

I run a deficit 6 days a week, then one day I go over. I lift 5 days light cardio 3 days(Lift days), medium cardio 1 day(Light lift day), heavy cardio 2 days (non-lift days).
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Ordered some USPLabs, I've really liked their Jack3d product. I'm moving away from it from the high amounts of caffeine in it though. The product does what it says though!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i still have an extend no results whatsoever from the normal diet and workout and it tastes like crap lucky i got it on a 1 day sale otherwise would have been wasted money
  • michelledruss
    michelledruss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggested I try Optimum Nutrition Amino Acid powder and I really like it. It has helped with my muscle recovery by over 50% - even after heavy leg days. I don't think it taste bad - I think I have the grape flavor.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Helped me tremendously with my cut this summer. I just mixed the powder with some juice, made it go down nicely ;)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I just started the ON BCAA 5000 powder. Hope it works like you guys say. I need to recover faster after heavy legs/chest days. After b-ball I'm wrecked so I'm going to drink it while I play. I have the fruit punch flavor and it's fine with just water.

I choose this one because there's no stimulants in it. I workout late so I don't want to be amped up while trying to go to bed
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Feel okay so far today. Test will be later today and tomorrow though. 2nd day sorness FTL
  • JNick77
    Options
    Feel okay so far today. Test will be later today and tomorrow though. 2nd day sorness FTL

How are you taking it? Definitely recommend taking before workout, during workout, and then once or twice throughout the day.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    2 scoops mixed with water. Drank it thoughout my workout yest. Then ON Whey shake this morning. Which also has some BCAAs in it,.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of BCAA's
    It helps me with my hunger cravings through the day.

I like usplabs but my favorite is BSN AminoX
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Assuming protein intake is adequate, they are worthless.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Assuming protein intake is adequate, they are worthless.

I've also doubled the scoops of Whey protein to help eliminate that possiblity.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Full day after. Seems to be helping. Will take note tomorrow. The dreaded 2nd day sore day
  • JNick77
    Options
    I like usplabs but my favorite is BSN AminoX

I've been using Purple Wrath from Controlled Labs. It's a good product but it tastes god-awful. I just ordered a thing of Xtend from SciVation and I've read on BB.Com that a lot of people like that product too.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    AminoX is amazing.
    Watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher and Blue Raz like an ICEE

I crave them.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    2nd day leg soreness is amping up (always does this during the day). I did a light workout yest but that doesn't always help(but drink another BCAA+water yest). Not as bad as w/o the amino acid so far. Will report again later.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I "think" the BCAA supplament (in addition the whey I was already taking) has helped. I took some in my water bottle to hoops tonight and want to see if that helps with that sorness. I get extremely sore after ball.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Hard to tell as my back is more sore than usual. Might have strained it during b-ball fri. But overall I seem to be sore 1 less. I think it's doing something positive.