Favorite Restaurant says NO to calories on the menu...

Options
13»

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My husband used to work in chain restaurants (Ruby Tuesday, etc), and EVERYTHING is eyeballed when it comes to making the meals. So while the calorie counts are based on a measured amount from a recipe, NOTHING is measured there. I wouldn't put too much stock in what the calorie counts are on those restaurants sites.
  • michelledruss
    michelledruss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    But Pita Jungle is so delicious who cares? ;) (I can only say that cuz I only get to eat there when I visit my family in Mesa and vacation days are cheat days for me)

And in regards to the thread topic - 1. yes, only restaurants with 20 or more locations are/will be required to provide nutritional info. 2. The law was originally going to go into effect by Mar 2011 but got pushed back to next year, so no restaurants could be reported at this time. 3. Testing the food and getting official FDA numbers is ridiculously expensive and that's one reason why there was even pushback at the 20 restaurant level, so really small places are highly unlikely to ever do it. 4. I'm not sure what Dr. Oz tested, but most of the studies I've read about testing restaurant dishes vs nutritionals supplied about 30% of the meals were off by hundreds of calories. Some restaurants have been forced to do new FDA testing to get new nutritionals published. Even stuff like ice cream servings from Coldstone and Baskin Robbins were wildly off. One article I read the average serving was 150% of the published serving size. (I.e. if it was a 4oz serving in the data you were getting 6oz). Great for value, horrid for calorie counting.

And through all of this typing, all I've been able to think about is Chompie's from my last AZ trip. lol

I love Pita Jungle too! But I thought I was doing good and low carbing it there with my mahi mahi and realized I was eating almost 1000 calories for a 4oz fillet and some hummus. So depressing cuz I love it there and it just goes to show that I need to be eating at home more unless its a day of indulgence.