Time for a new scale?

Options
I know that weight fluctuates through out the day, but I think my scale is seriously broken!!!

I have a very small apartment, so my scale is right in front of my bathroom sink. I have to step on the scale to use the sink. I brushed my teeth, weighed 196. Five minutes later, I was washing my hands... weighed 180. Literally less than 1 minute later I was back at the sink, and the scale said 210. Thankfully, this isn't the only scale I use so I know what my actual weight is.

I think it's time to invest in a digital scale that actually works!!!

Replies

• wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    having a scale that works is a good thing, but you shouldn't really weigh more than once a week...
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    A. Pick up your scale and put it to the side when not using it.
    B. Check the battery.
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    Agreed.

But.... I've had the same issue with digital scales. You want to make sure you keep the scale in the exact same place. In case there's a tile that's even just a little higher or lower in another spot of the room. It may not give you your exact weight, but it will keep your progress accurate.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Not sure why you would want to step on the scale that many times in one day. Sounds kind of depressing..
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    LOL, Id be getting a new scale.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've had my scale vary by several ounces from minute to minute, but never that wildly. Check the battery, and if that doesn't solve it, it's probably time for a new scale.

Can you tuck your scale away under the sink or in a closet and just take it out when you need to weigh yourself? All the constant stepping on it may have caused it to wear out sooner.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    To respond to everyone at once:

I don't look at the scale EVERY time I step on, it just happens to be there, and there really isn't anywhere else to keep it in the bathroom. I don't even have cabinet space. But, I like to weigh myself at least twice a day because I want to see how/when my weight fluctuates. I know that sounds obsessive, but I get a lot of comfort from it.

I only "officially" weigh in once a week, and I've been doing that at my parents house because they have some fancy high tech digital scale.

It doesn't have batteries, it's an "old fashioned" scale. haha
  • michelledruss
    michelledruss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw my scale out - it always deters my motivation. When I was trying to loose weight after I had my baby I would step on it and gain weight! Women can fluctuate so many pounds in just one day. Measure yourself by the way your clothes fit and no more than once a week. I try the same pair of jeans on every sunday to see my results. Stop weighing yourself, you are more important than that number.
  • sandijones5783
    sandijones5783 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I noticed my scale did that too so i bought a new one and there was no change like that in the new one and if yo have like a 5lb weight or something put it on it and see if its right, i did that with the new and old one and there was a couple lb difference so i got rid of the old scale since it was very wrong
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think tat scale is broken from over use...
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Moisture in a bathroom will ruin a scale. You might look around to see if there's anywhere else you could put it. Good luck!!!:smile:

P.S. I'm obsessive with the weighing too and putting it somewhere else other than where you HAVE to step on it might help. That being said like everyone else has said try not to weigh so often. (I will try and heed my own advice!)
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Check its accuracy with something you know the real weight of (like a 5 pound bag of flour). Then you will know for sure if it is time for a new scale.

I've been thinking the same thing about my scale, but I keep forgetting to buy a new one. The fluctations/inaccuracies are so frustrating!

Good luck!
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I also forgot to add that the scale is at least a few years old too... so next pay day, I'm buying a new one!
  • michelledruss
    michelledruss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I also forgot to add that the scale is at least a few years old too... so next pay day, I'm buying a new one!

Buy yourself the ripped in 30 dvd instead - you will get a lot more results from it:) Or a cute new pair of shoes.