hellllooo Sugar!

Options
So I added 'Sugar' as an option for the calorie tracker, and I seem to go so far over every day! I guess I don't really understand how on a day where I do an hour of cardio, my carb intake is supposed to go up by so much, but Im only supposed to have about 10 more grams of sugar.
How do I get the carbs without intaking a bunch of sugar? Also, is there no difference between sugar from fruit: apples, strawberries, etc and sugar from things like ice cream and halloween candy (which I seem to have gotten WAY to used to eating?)

I guess Ill just have to have someone hide the candy, and say NO for a few days until I kick the candy habit, but what else??

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    ignore it. sugar is just a carbohydrate. Unless you have a medical reason to track it, then it really isnt a big deal

carbs without sugar are starches. Think potatoes, rice, pasta etc

sugar is sugar, but you get a ton of vitamins, fiber, and such from fruit. So i don't limit it! You get so much out of it :]
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    The sugars in fruits are still sugars, but they're natural sugars, so they're a lot better for you than candy in terms of sugar. As far as getting carbs without the sugar, try more complex carbs like brown rice, veggies, and whole grain foods instead of simple carbs like fruit and baked goods that will be high in sugar.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This was my reply to another member who was concerned about sugar. I thought it was worth sharing once again:

Sugar is hidden in so many of our foods, especially processed foods. Stay away from fruit juices; the calories are not worth it. Consider all sodas, even diet soda, poison. There are 17 teaspoons of sugar in one can of soda! It's hard staying within the 24 grams; I find it impossible. However, be mindful that your sugars are coming from whole foods, not processed. Read the labels! Just do the best you can, but do not ignore it because sugar is, indeed, the poison that will hinder weight loss.

If you're interested in researching just how bad sugar is for us, go to MERCOLA.COM - a real eye opener! Note: Dr. Joseph Mercola's website also lists fruits (from the least amount of sugar to the most). That list really made me mindful and changed how I choose my fruits.

The same can be said for sodium. Tracking your sodium can be a reality shock.

It's taken me four months to tame my sugar cravings. I still have them, but I now have the wisdom to choose.

Best wishes in your journey.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    no, the sugar is fruit is no better for you. Its the vitamins and such that make it worth it.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This was my reply to another member who was concerned about sugar. I thought it was worth sharing once again:

Sugar is hidden in so many of our foods, especially processed foods. Stay away from fruit juices; the calories are not worth it. Consider all sodas, even diet soda, poison. There are 17 teaspoons of sugar in one can of soda! It's hard staying within the 24 grams; I find it impossible. However, be mindful that your sugars are coming from whole foods, not processed. Read the labels! Just do the best you can, but do not ignore it because sugar is, indeed, the poison that will hinder weight loss.

If you're interested in researching just how bad sugar is for us, go to MERCOLA.COM - a real eye opener! Note: Dr. Joseph Mercola's website also lists fruits (from the least amount of sugar to the most). That list really made me mindful and changed how I choose my fruits.

The same can be said for sodium. Tracking your sodium can be a reality shock.

It's taken me four months to tame my sugar cravings. I still have them, but I now have the wisdom to choose.

Best wishes in your journey.

Joseph Mercola is a moron. I wouldn't listen to what he says.
  • drusso1491
    drusso1491 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sunshine 88 is absolutely right, carbs are carbs for an average, healthy individual, in my opinion anyway ( still in the process of looking up solid research on it )... personal experience is not usually a good justification, however when I was getting ready for my bodybuilding competition i didn't pay any attention to how many of my carbs came from sugar ( it was probably pretty high, big frozen yogurt, fruit and milk eater/drinker) and i still got pretty damn lean... if calories in < calories out your gonna loose weight/fat ... law of thermodynamics
  • SammySam5205
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, 24 really is a tough number to stay under. OR I'm addicted to sugar...which I have no problem admitting to. I guess tackling that sugar craving will be my biggest obstacle!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Y'all, everything is fine is moderation. But sugar is sugar. And yes, it DOES matter how much sugar you ingest each day. As another user said, you should be getting your carbs from COMPLEX carbs, Sugars are SIMPLE carbs.

Also, please take note: Dr. Mercola is NOT a medical doctor. He is an osteopathic physician. They are NOT the same thing. I am not saying that that damages his credibility but you should very carefully consider the things you read. Just because someone is a "doctor" doesn't mean they went to medical school.