New guy to all this

Options
Not too much for intros really. I'm 22, finishing up my Bachelor's degree and working 30-35 hours a week at a stressful (but rewarding) job and not too active before, during, or after work or school. But it's now gotten to the point that things need to change. I used to be in-shape back in high school when I was active in baseball and my metabolism could take anything I threw at it. But now, I'm not active and I don't really watch what I've eat and I'm sitting at a weight I've never been at before in my life, sitting right around 215-220 when my target weight is 180 pounds.

I've never really exercised regularly before - I went through a couple stints a couple of years ago to keep myself in-shape but it only lasted for a couple of months. But now, I'm either sitting at work, sitting in school, or sitting at home, and I'm worried about my long-term health. I sustained a lower back injury my Sophomore year in high school and stopped playing baseball after that. Besides my back problem sticking with me the rest of my life, the pain is also caused by the amount of stress on my lower back because of my weak mid-section and excess fat I've gained over the past few months. I really want to get in-shape and maintain a healthy lifestyle so when I become a father years down the road, I can enjoy spending time with my kids, playing catch and carrying them on my shoulders and everything else that goes along with being a dad.

One last note - my fiancee is a long-time MFP user and I know lately I've influenced her eating habits in a negative way. I'm hoping by me being on her shows her that I'm serious about changing my eating habits and exercising and hopefully she and I can get back down to our goal weights.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Good for you for joining. It's so much easier when the person you spend most of your time with joins you in a healthy lifestyle!
  • myth4ever
    Options
    Welcome!!!! Let's get it.....
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You are gonna love it! This site and my MFP'S have kept me on track! Good luck on your journey.
  • drusso1491
    drusso1491 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hey man, congrats on starting with MFP and trying to be more active... just a little tip for your lower back pain... try doing some hip adductor stretches, hamstring stretches, even foam rolling your IT band probably wouldn't hurt, also do some core strengthening exercises, as often a tight erector spinae means your intrinsic core stabilizer muscles are weak
    - some pretty simple stuff but hopefully it may loosen up your back a bit
  • gloria581
    gloria581 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You've made a step in the right direction. Luckily you were smart enough to see that if you don't make a change for the better now, things will only get worst and a lot harder.
    I started MFP in January and through logging in everything I eat, exercising regularly and making better food choices, I have lost 66 pounds. MFP works, if you let it. Try to get in some exercise daily, even if it's just running for 20 minutes. I used to hate exercising until I discovered Zumba and now hardly a day passes that I don't do some sort of exercise. Find what works for you and stick to it. You will be so grateful you did.
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just finished my bachelors in may and am trying to get in shape for a healthier life with my fiance also. This site is awesome. Hang in there.
    Also, my fiance works at Little Caesars so I definitely know about the fiance influencing eating habits too. Support and motivation is awesome to show her you love her and want the two of you to have a long, happy, healthy life. Best of luck.
  • TMasticTB
    TMasticTB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! I know my fiancee loves this site - I don't know how long she's been here, but it's been a while. I'm looking forward to MFP helping me out and whip my butt back into shape and relieve some back pain. And fit into all of my clothes again... Haha.