why do my scales never change??

Options
Lately when i weigh myself. My weight is still the same as it was the previous week.. Anyone else have this problem?? is it because of al the water i drink??

Replies

• azugirl111
    Options
    If you're working out, it may be because you're gaining muscle. muscle weighs the same as fat, so you'll probably still weigh the same (or even more).
  • nikkimee
    Options
    Hi.. thanks i work out everyday but it has been worrying me that im not losing any weight
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You are likely converting fat to muscle, so you won't see a scale difference. Try measuring your body (chest, belly button, waist, hips) each week. You should see a difference there, which IMHO is better :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    How long have you been calorie restricting? How big is your calorie deficit? How long has your plateau been?

It's normal for our metabolisms to change a little as we diet. The longer we diet, the more we restrict calorie intake, the more weight we lose, the more creative we've got to be to keep taking the weight off.

But have faith :) You'll break the plateau eventually. If you're running a calorie deficit and if you're exercising, the scale will start moving again eventually. You might try changing things up a bit- different types of exercise, different foods, that sorta thing.

And yes, record your measurements. That helps.
  • Apriltrev04
    Apriltrev04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are likely converting fat to muscle, so you won't see a scale difference. Try measuring your body (chest, belly button, waist, hips) each week. You should see a difference there, which IMHO is better :)

I agree.. Measure!!!! I dont like the scale at times because I will bust my butt for it to not even budge, then my husband had me start measuring and I saw a HUGE difference.. I ususally measure every Sunday. and about every other sunday my measurements get smaller! sometimes its just a little and others it a good inch or more! Hang in there your doing great! :)
  • tcpowell25
    Options

I agree.. Measure!!!! I dont like the scale at times because I will bust my butt for it to not even budge, then my husband had me start measuring and I saw a HUGE difference.. I ususally measure every Sunday. and about every other sunday my measurements get smaller! sometimes its just a little and others it a good inch or more! Hang in there your doing great! :)

This is great advice. Start measuring your fat % as well. I bought a weight watchers scale from bed bath and beyond about two weeks ago. Let me tell you my fat percentage changed even though the scale hasn't moved. It makes a huge difference.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, it is probably water retention, imo. Working out (especially if you are using weights) can cause your muscles to retain water while they heal up.

Muscle building is actually very difficult to do and takes a lot of dedicated weight lifting over a long period of time. Most men are lucky to put on one pound of muscle a month. (according to my husband who knows way too much about this stuff)

All I can suggest is drink more water and log/count your calories accurately.

Also, what rebekah529 says :)
  • crazysillydancer
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, it is probably water retention, imo. Working out (especially if you are using weights) can cause your muscles to retain water while they heal up.

Muscle building is actually very difficult to do and takes a lot of dedicated weight lifting over a long period of time. Most men are lucky to put on one pound of muscle a month. (according to my husband who knows way too much about this stuff)

All I can suggest is drink more water and log/count your calories accurately.

Also, what rebekah529 says :)

Covert Bailey, a respected fitness expert, claims that one can expect to healthily and reasonably gain one pound of muscle a week. That is clearly with exercising whose focus is building muscle bulk; however, it then seems reasonable that one could reasonably seek to gain a couple pounds of muscle within a month through regular exercise. This combined with water retention (which can be caused by many things including sodium intake) seems like a logical explanation. Hence, I agree with everyone else. Measure yourself! Or, if you don't want to put that much effort into it, measure by how your clothes fit! :)

Best wishes!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Lately when i weigh myself. My weight is still the same as it was the previous week.. Anyone else have this problem?? is it because of al the water i drink??

Nikkimee, how's your clothes fitting? Start tracking your body fat percentage. It will help you see how your body is changing. The scale doesn't have to move, in order for you to be losing fat or gaining lean body mass.

Another thing you can do, just to do it. Is check to see if your scale is calibrate. If you have a dumbbell, put it on the scale to see if the scale reads the amount on the dumbbell.