Felt kinda bad, but then really didn't.......

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
Some Boy Scouts were out fundraising and asked me to see if I wanted to help support. Usually I would help any teen organization, but in this case no. Why? Because I don't like to support organizations that discriminate against others because of sexual orientation. I felt kinda bad because I know that helping is good, but at the same time if I did I would feel I support the organization's stance on sexual orientation. I have to stick with what I believe in and until it changes, I can't support them.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    And don't buy that partially hydrogenated garbage from the girl scouts either!
  • jlpurdham
    jlpurdham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel bad. I would do the same thing.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Did the same thing a couple of days ago for the exact same reason. That and their popcorn is like 30 bucks for what I can buy for 6 at the store.
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You should not feel bad for how you feel and what you believe in. I appreciate you for sticking up for us and You are inspiration to us all
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feel bad either!
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Good for you for standing up for what you believe in. :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    What was the issue? They wouldn't allow a transgender into the scouts?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Nothing to feel bad about.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I understand completely.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Some Boy Scouts were out fundraising and asked me to see if I wanted to help support. Usually I would help any teen organization, but in this case no. Why? Because I don't like to support organizations that discriminate against others because of sexual orientation. I felt kinda bad because I know that helping is good, but at the same time if I did I would feel I support the organization's stance on sexual orientation. I have to stick with what I believe in and until it changes, I can't support them.

I would have done the same thing....Good on you for standing by your beliefs.....
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, just answered my own question by re-reading your post... :laugh:
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of girls who were in Boy-scouts growing up. They were allowed to join.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What was the issue? They wouldn't allow a transgender into the scouts?

I am rather pleased with the Girl Scouts of Colorado for allowing that transgendered girl to join. That was the best call they could have made. :) I do, however, support there being only one Scouts in which both boys and girls can participate. There's no sense in keeping them divided. Boys should be able to do arts and crafts and girls should be able to learn to tie knots. Unite the two groups and stop perpetuating an ignorant gender divide in a society that desperately needs more unity and less division. :D
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad at all. There are plenty of groups to support that don't discriminate based on sexual orientation or religion.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's the reason why I will never allow my son to join Boy Scouts.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Heh, I had never thought about how the scouts and guide perpetuate a gender divide before, I think you made a good call. (The effect of which could be bolstered by articulating your thoughts on paper and sending them a letter).
  • Jo_Bird
    Jo_Bird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There's a bit of a contradiction there, don't you think? You won't support a group of wholesome kids because you think they don't support your belief? I guess I'm just not following the logic behind that. I agree that what their selling is just unhealthy ick. To each it's own and you should alway's follow your heart.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There's a bit of a contradiction there, don't you think? You won't support a group of wholesome kids because you think they don't support your belief? I guess I'm just not following the logic behind that. I agree that what their selling is just unhealthy ick. To each it's own and you should alway's follow your heart.
    Where's the contradiction? The Boy Scouts DON'T allow homosexuals in their organization because they discriminate against them. I don't think that, it's written in the rules.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Nor do they allow atheists or agnostics.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Nor do they allow atheists or agnostics.
    This too.
This discussion has been closed.