Should I run only in the day time

Options
So most of my runs have been at night and I have my best runs..... the problem is when I try to run in the day my endurance drops significantly and can barely finish the same distance I can run at night or even have to stop or not finish the same distance... should I just run in the day? It seems as if I'm cheating by running at night.

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    my opinion: just run.
  • fit4travels
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm interested to see the responses.
  • Gonzoxx
    Options
    So most of my runs have been at night and I have my best runs..... the problem is when I try to run in the day my endurance drops significantly and can barely finish the same distance I can run at night or even have to stop or not finish the same distance... should I just run in the day? It seems as if I'm cheating by running at night.

No Way my dear friend... guess what? do it when you feel more comfortable!!!!! it doesn't matter if you run at the day or night...what is really important is to take 2 point to consider:

1) make sure you run for a time over 20 minutes (if you can i advice you to do it daily)

2) MAKE SURE if you run at night this doesn't make you feel deprivated on your sleep time...remember this...IF YOU WANT TO LOSE FAT OR ANY FITNESS GOAL YOU MUST SLEEP ENOUGH (7-9 HOURS).

Just make sure you are watching over this two points and you can feel free to run at ANYTIME

By the way...feel free to add me as a friend and mail if you have another question :)...i know you will achieve your goal...hope my answer might be usefull
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I would run at night time if I could, as it is the only place I can run after dark is on a treadmill.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    When do you run when you train for your races? Ah its so frustrating because literally pick can run up to an extra mile longer at night compared to day! For example, today I was only able to running 4 miles and had to stop once to catch my breath AND I brought a water bottle.... I got so pissed at myself I ran two more miles and had to stop again in the middle of the second mile.... frustrating!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i like to work out the best at night cause i work off dinner calories. maybe that's why you have a higher endurance at night, more to work off.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    a lot of peeps say you should at first thing in the morning...imo, run when you want too...you are doing something good for yourself and no reason to give it up just because someone else thinks they know whats best for your body...you are the only one that does.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    my opinion: just run.

sounds like me. I think I excel in colder weather. where I live night time is colder than daytime. I seem to always do alot better endurance, pace, time at night. late spring, summer when it's warmer weather I get hotter faster, slow down, etc etc I run at 2am 90% of my runs. but I also work graveyard so my sechdule is whacked and running @ 2AM is what works for me. but ultimately just run
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    No Way my dear friend... guess what? do it when you feel more comfortable!!!!! it doesn't matter if you run at the day or night...what is really important is to take 2 point to consider:

1) make sure you run for a time over 20 minutes (if you can i advice you to do it daily)

2) MAKE SURE if you run at night this doesn't make you feel deprivated on your sleep time...remember this...IF YOU WANT TO LOSE FAT OR ANY FITNESS GOAL YOU MUST SLEEP ENOUGH (7-9 HOURS).

Just make sure you are watching over this two points and you can feel free to run at ANYTIME

As long as you are safe ....
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    The thing is that most races happen during the day so if were cold acclimated it'll hinder our endurance during these races.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

As long as you are safe ....

Exactly what I was thinking. As long as you are in a safe area and feel safe, then anytime would be good. I would also make sure to carry your house/car keys between your fingers for a good punch, just in case. (I know I sound paranoid but at least once a week I hear of something happening to people who are out by themselves at night.)

Stay safe :)
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    As someone who has run until I was in pretty good shape, then quit, then started over agin many, many times, I'd say run whenever you enjoy it. I run at noon - I used to run early AM, but noon is more fun for me, so that's what I do.

If you run at night, think about reflective gear. I run with a headlamp and a red blinking light on my back. I started doing is after almost being hit twice by cars during one AM run. I also have a reflective vest for when I don't use the headlamp.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For me saying things such as " I can't run it's night time." or "I can't run run its dark out.", or things like that. is just a disaster. Once I start that, I quickly end up not exercising at all.

I think it best to exercise when you want to and/or you have or can make the time.