Do you think vegetarians are picky eaters?

Options
I'm a vegetarian, and my brother is giving me a really hard time about it, saying I'm a picky eater, and stuff.
Do you think vegetarians are picky eaters? Or do respect their choice of not eating meat?
I'm just wondering!

Replies

• lilidelafield
    lilidelafield Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't think so at all! I'm not a vegetarian myself but I do have massive pangs of guilt every time I eat chicken or lamb, thinking of the poor animal or bird that has given up its life just to feed me! So stick to it!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I eat absolutely everything except meat. That's a lot less picky than most meat eaters I know!

Just ignore him. Who cares what he thinks, really really?
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    ._. I am soooo far from being a picky eater.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, stuff and nonsense! I've been vegetarian for 30+ years, and have had a great, varied diet. In fact, that's what brought me here in the first place - I was forever cooking yummy meals and eating too much of them. I am more restricted now I'm doing this, but I guess we all are to an extent. I'm thinking that this might be a little teasing from a brother?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are a picky eater because you are PICKING certain foods and not others.

How is there anything wrong with being a picky eater? I don't like fruit, milk or beef so I skip them. I'm content to be a picky eater.

Also, I was vegetarian for 8 years. But chicken is ****ing awesome. XD
  • anitanz
    Options
    Yes, I think vegetearians are fussy, especially when they say, 'oh I can't eat that'. Hello! You can, you just don't want too!

I respect their choice not to eat meat though and I do have vegetarian friends (interestingly, as we have grown older lots of friends have gone back to eating meat). When it comes to meeting up with vegetarian friends I usually suggest going out, hardly ever invite them over for dinner as don't want to prepare special meals.

If I am having a few people over for dinner and one or two is veggie, I will usually cook Indian and do a meat curry with lots of vegetable side dishes (dahl, aloo etc). But sometimes that is a pain! I might want to cook lasagne!

Anyways, each to their own :-)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    By this logic, people who eat halaal or kosher are just 'being picky' too, right?

Sigh.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a Veggie friend and I'm quite happy to eat her food. She cooks some yummy meals. I often ask her for the recipes and find her quite easy to cook for when she comes over to visit me.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think all vegetarians are "picky" eaters. People become vegetarian for a whole host of different reasons - philosophical, religious, health, socio-political or matters of taste. I suspect some are picky, but so are a great number of omnivores.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I actually find them to be the least picky yes they dont eat meat but they are usually the types that are more experimental with food and will happily try many different things and eat at more alternative places

when you take meat away they have to find new ways to make things taste good etc so therefore will try and eat more things than the regular meat and veg crowds ,,,,,

ive found its usually the meat eaters who are unwilling to even give a veg dish a ago and they seem to stick to there same old food routines allot more
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I actually find them to be the least picky yes they dont eat meat but they are usually the types that are more experimental with food and will happily try many different things and eat at more alternative places

when you take meat away they have to find new ways to make things taste good etc so therefore will try and eat more things than the regular meat and veg crowds ,,,,,

ive found its usually the meat eaters who are unwilling to even give a veg dish a ago and they seem to stick to there same old food routines allot more

I completely agree. I was a vegetarian for a few years and vegan for a few months and the lack of meat really forces you to be creative. I am a far more adventurous eater than most of the meat-eaters I know and I love to cook and come up with new and interesting ways to prepare things. My parents seem to have a repertoire of about 10 meals they like to rotate through, rarely anything new or different. In a lot of ways I think they are more picky. They would be happy eating some sort of meat, usually on a sandwich, with a sauce and pototes or pasta every day for the rest of their life. If they're feeling adventurous, then maybe a salad. That just sounds horrendous to me.

I know so many people who are very much "meat and potatoes" types and they won't venture outside of that comfort zone. I think that's far more annoying than people who don't eat meat. When I was a vegetarian I found a lot of meat eaters to be very defensive about their food choices and refuse to try anything that didn't have meat or was even slightly different than what they are used to.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Most vegetarians are far more adventurous with their vegetables than meat-eaters, in my experience. I know that if I wasn't vegetarian I wouldn't have tried tofu or paneer and I enjoy both now.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Whether you're picky or not is debatable. I would say no, but I don't know what your habits actually are. I have a friend on MFP who I've known even longer than that, though - she's a vegetarian, but she doesn't talk about it all the time. She only talks about it when it comes up in conversation. If someone's throwing a potluck, she's bringing the healthy vegetarian dish instead of sending an email to everyone at work reminding them to make food for the vegetarians too. She dates omnivores and makes a steak for her boyfriend while she dines on whatever else she made. I think that's cool that she doesn't make what she consumes the focal point of her life or what makes her "special".

Get comfortable with your choice and be confident about it. Forget about what people think of the things you eat.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and my brother is giving me a really hard time about it, saying I'm a picky eater, and stuff.
    Do you think vegetarians are picky eaters? Or do respect their choice of not eating meat?
    I'm just wondering!

I am vegetarian too! Bot a picky eater though! Its a choice you make to be vegetarian and that does not make you picky! Its just a choice!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. I have two good friends who are veggies, and a daughter who eats fish not meat. Never ever had an issue feeding them at all. Biggest problem is one of my more princess like meat eating friends ;-)

What's the point of cooking for people if you aren't giving them food you know they'll enjoy - whatever it is?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Here are examples of picky eaters:

* A 16 year old boy who eats EXACTLY the same thing for lunch and breakfast every day, specifically a bologna sandwich made with 2 pieces of white bread, two pieces of bologna, one piece of American cheese stacked symmetrically with the crusts cut off like when he was four.

* A 42 year old man who can't have any food on his plate touch anything else on his plate, and must ALWAYS eat what is on his plate in the following order: vegetable first; carb (potato, rice) next, protein next, bread last.

* a 31 year old woman who doesn't like meat that "looks like animal", so eats chicken McNuggets every day for lunch.

You're not picky; you're a vegetarian. Cook for him.
  • Laineegrrl
    Laineegrrl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bring your own food to his house. He'll shut up.
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Show him this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FLqjLn0W5K0

(It's about vegans, but applies here too I think.)

I find a lot of people are very quick to critisize veggie/vegan lifestyles because it makes them feel defensive - as though we are saying to them "I disagree with your eating habits". Even if you haven't actually said that, I think that's what people think you are projecting onto them. Just remember, if someone is being an *kitten* to you about something, it's because THEY have a problem, not you. xx
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think most of the vegetarians I know are picky eaters. I only know one veggie that is picky. Part of his pickiness is due to the fact that he's a germaphobe. Part of it also has to do with his Crohn's disease, so since I don't know that much about Crohn's, I don't know what he can and cannot have. He refuses to eat anything that was made at someone's house, since he doesn't know how clean their kitchens are, so he eats out all the time. I have worked in the restaurant industry long enough to know that my kitchen at home is just as clean as any restaurant, if not more so. When this friend does not eat my food, I am not insulted. I just shrug my shoulders and say, "more for me!"

My other veggie friends will try anything that doesn't have meat or meat products in it. They will eat all sorts of tofu, eggplant, seaweed... whatever. I have learned that there are thousands more vegetarian meals that I ever could dream of.

I'm an omnivore, but I respect the veggie lifestyle. It's not being picky, it's just about being who you are. Dietary restrictions are not "picky". Your brother is just giving you a hard time.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't, either. Or rather, vegetarians can be picky eaters, and meat-eaters can be picky eaters, and vice versa. When I have vegetarian dinner guests, I think of them in the same way I think of Jewish dinner guests. I would never think of a Jew as "picky" because they don't eat pork,or even if they keep kosher. That's just a different thing than "picky."

My advice is to ignore your brother. I was vegetarian for about 2 decades, and recently started eating some fish & poultry. Some people think it's the funnest thing in the world to make fun of you, they're just missing the fact that you've heard all those jokes 100 times. Lol just laugh and move along, at worst they're feeling defensive, at best they're just being silly or making conversation, so just don't engage it if you want it to stop (eventually).