Should I Eat More Than 1200?

Options
Dexy_
Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
You can look at my diary (PLEASE disregard today - completely a fail day!) I am fairly good at keeping my cals under 1200net, but this is only because some days I force myself to exercise because I'm SO hungry and have already eaten all my cals!

If I go up to say 1500 will it have a good/bad impact on my weight loss? I don't mind if it slows it a little.

Also if I did up my intake, how would I change it on MFP?

TIA guys :)

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE! Most people should eat at least 1500 a day anyway, screw the 1200 calories.
    Slow and steady makes it easier to keep off in the long run anyway!!

Also, your body may become confused and your metabolism may speed up causing you to lose MORE. That's what happened to me!

But think of it like this... are you going to give up cos it becomes so hard to keep it so low?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight, age?

What do you do throughout the day aside from exercise?

What are your workouts like? Duration and intensity.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    160cm tall, atm 77kgs, 18yo.

In the mornings I do general housework (dishes, vaccuming, washing on line, off line, fold it ect ect).

Throughout the day I'm looking after a 2yo and a 6 week old, so lots of lifting and playing chasies.

My workouts are usually 15-20mins duration depending on how much time I can spare, I try to make them intense as possible. If I don't sweat or can't feel my heart beating at the end of it I don't log it in MFP 'cause to me it didn't count.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    But think of it like this... are you going to give up cos it becomes so hard to keep it so low?

I don't think I would, as I'm not looking for a "quick fix" here. I am looking for a new, healthier lifestyle. So feeling hungry all the time doesn't seem all that healthy to me! :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I don't think I would, as I'm not looking for a "quick fix" here. I am looking for a new, healthier lifestyle. So feeling hungry all the time doesn't seem all that healthy to me! :)

Exactly...so eat more! Running around after kids all day will sure make you hungry as well so make sure your activity level is set to active! Also, are you breastfeeding? I heard that ladies who are breastfeeding need up to an extra 500 calories.
  • gp79
    Options

In the mornings I do general housework (dishes, vaccuming, washing on line, off line, fold it ect ect).

Throughout the day I'm looking after a 2yo and a 6 week old, so lots of lifting and playing chasies.

My workouts are usually 15-20mins duration depending on how much time I can spare, I try to make them intense as possible. If I don't sweat or can't feel my heart beating at the end of it I don't log it in MFP 'cause to me it didn't count.

With these numbers, for weight loss I would eat 1500 - 1600 calories per day.

Breaking that down further I'd ensure I ate 135g of protein, 67g fat and the rest (111g) carbohydrates. Go into your diary, click on goals and set it up "custom" to these values. 35% protein, 40% fat, 25% carbs is as close as MFP is going to let you come to those figures. Your mind is going to tell you it's too much fat. Trust me. Excess calories will make you fat, not your fat intake if it's appropriate.

Workout when you can, rest as much as your kids will allow and don't drink your calories. Drink water instead.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I've upped my intake to 1500. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I've upped my intake to 1500. :)

all good :) and have fun ;)
  • gp79
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that I've figured in your exercise into that number. When you workout (as you described) for 15-20 minutes, do not add extra calories or you will not be in much of a deficit. I calculated your TDEE at 2090 and figured a 500 calorie deficit for a weekly loss of 1lb.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I have my cal intake set to 1500, 1200 imo is too low for me atm, esp with 2 kids to run around with.
  • NUTZAMO
    Options
    1200 is okay for a short time, but not to retain a healthy lifestyle. Try your 1500 and see how you go; with the children you may need more.
  • DanielleC1231
    Options

With these numbers, for weight loss I would eat 1500 - 1600 calories per day.

Breaking that down further I'd ensure I ate 135g of protein, 67g fat and the rest (111g) carbohydrates. Go into your diary, click on goals and set it up "custom" to these values. 35% protein, 40% fat, 25% carbs is as close as MFP is going to let you come to those figures. Your mind is going to tell you it's too much fat. Trust me. Excess calories will make you fat, not your fat intake if it's appropriate.

Workout when you can, rest as much as your kids will allow and don't drink your calories. Drink water instead.

^^^this^^^ He knows what he's talking about :)

Don't EVER eat only 1200 calories. Ever. 1200 calories is way too low. It is not recommended for a woman to ever eat below 1200. As you lose weight, your caloric needs decrease. If you are already at the lowest you can eat, when you lose weight, you'll have nowhere to lower to. I echo with all my heart the fat intake thing. Dietary fat intake does not make you fat contrary to popular belief - it's too many calories that make you gain weight. Just make sure you're getting fat from good sources, avocado, nuts, nut butters, seeds, olive oil, even eggs or low fat dairy. Definitely up your calories to the 1500-1600 range. Good luck!