Bakers please help, cake flour?

Options
I wanted to have a go at making this receipe http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/skinny-red-velvet-cupcakes.html for red velvet cupcakes and it calls for 1.5 cups of cake flour.

This is not something we have in the UK. When I searched Sainsbury's website the closest thing it came up with is this product http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1320585763499 which looks like it could do the job, would this work?

Also as it's self rising would that mean that I would have to omit the baking soda/powder from the recipe?

If that isn't going to work could anyone please recommend a cake flour substitute? Thanks

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    cake flour i would say is self raising...hope this helps xxx
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Cake flour is self raising. Exactly the same thing :) I'm not sure why the recipe has baking soda aswell, but do it as the recipe states.

Hope they are yummy!
  • TheDudette
    Options
    Don't use self-rising flour unless the recipe calls specifically for it. The ratios could be different from that in your recipe. As for cake flour, if you can't get it just sift normal plain flour and than measure it. It will get you pretty close to what you need.

This is what I always did when I lived in the UK and was converting recipes. I promise I know what I'm talking about, I bake for a living.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    In Canada, cake four is extra-fine flour. Nothing added. It saves sifting it twice.

I use ordinary flour when I don't have the cake flour.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    No way! Don't use self rising flour unless the recipe calls for it!!

Cake flour is ground finer and lighter than regular white flour. A way to help this with your recipe is to sift regular bleached flour until its fine and then measure out the sifted flour. This will help keep the cake light and moist.

Self rising flour is for biscuits, pancakes, muffins, and heavy breads--not cake! It has a stronger flavor and will throw the recipe off.
  • ArnonsaeJ
    ArnonsaeJ Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cake flour is just more fine flour, NOT self rising. Like the person before me said, just sift your flour and then measure it. It will work fine, I know from experience.
  • Jacksonsmomma2211
    Jacksonsmomma2211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would use regular flour, sifted. And make sure not to over mix the batter. You would still need the baking powder with this flour. Good luck with your cupcakes!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cake flour is made from a softer wheat, and has slightly less protein in it than all purpose flour. Substituting all purpose flour will be fine, just keep in mind the cakes will be a little chewier. Not a big deal.
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help, I knew I could count on the wisdom of MFPers!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I can't see what's on the link, since It wanted me to register for the site, but I did a search for flour and looked at them, so I don't know what one you had picked out.

Cake flour is a lower protein flour compared to AP or Bread flour. The best one for you (from that list) is the Extra Fine Sponge Flour. It has 9.3g of protein per 100g, compared to the Strong Bread Flour which is 12.0g/100g. It does have the leavening ingredients in it already, which is unusual, If that's the one you picked out it will probably work for you.

Hope that helps.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Ooops, sorry for the rubbish advice. My google skills failed me :blushing:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    cake flour i would say is self raising...hope this helps xxx

NO!! Cake flour has a lower protein content than all purpose (6-8% vs 10-12%). Use 7/8 c of all purpose to substitute for cake flour, The crumb will not be as tender. You still need to use the leavening specified in the recipe.
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    I always use self-raising flour in cakes & I have NEVER had any complaints... sponge is always light, fluffy and moist.