A Thousand Reasons Not To Binge...

Options
2»

Replies

• carro585
    carro585 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This post makes me incredibly sad. I realize I probably don't understand, because I've never been a "binger," at least not to the extent you are talking about. But I do know that in general if you have a really strong impulse, thinking about reasons NOT to do something isn't going to work. If that was the case, all the jails would be empty and nobody would smoke, to use kind of extreme examples.

Have you ever considered working the other way? I mean figuring exactly what your body or mind is going through that makes you want or need to binge, and then working on making those things less of an issue?

This sounds like territory for a psychiatrist, which I certainly am not. And who knows, maybe you've come to this point before. But with the behavior and extreme guilt you seem to be feeling...maybe that would be a good thing to explore?

Best of luck to you all in becoming healthy and happy!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    This sounds a little pro-ana to me :frown: Sorry if I'm wrong. Not being nasty, just concerned.

Not sure where you are seeing that, but okay...
    Sorry, I really need to make myself clearer (I will do that one day!). I didn't mean your thread per se, rather a few of the reasons people gave for not bingeing remind me of the reasons I've seen on pro-ana sites for not eating.
  • sarah1211
    Options
    This sounds a little pro-ana to me :frown: Sorry if I'm wrong. Not being nasty, just concerned.

Well of course it is. It definitely should be recognized in the psychology field. It's an emotional and unsatisfied need, just as with anorexia or bulimia. It's probably just as common. I have binged countless times... Its an addiction. Just as strong as a drug addiction and easier to accomidate. I relapse just as an addict does.

Of course it is pro-ana?... :s

An eating disorder. I personally look at binging as an eating disorder. It's the exact same emotional response as purging or not eating at all. It's definitely (for me anyway) a lack of self control and there's always a trigger.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    All psychological disorders involving food are related, so some of the mentality is bound to be the same.

Another reason not to binge- All the food you end up having to buy adds up money-wise =/ Binging can get expensive.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking, I had a huge problem with binge eating. I treated every meal as a feast. I just LOVE food, was raised in the food service industry, and love having a big 3 course meal. I would honestly eat until I felt sick. Unable to move, bloated, fat. Problems only got worse when I quit smoking, because I started snacking more. If you are having binge problems, here is something I noticed about me.

1. Diet Pop makes me want to eat more. I don't know why. I would have 4-5 diet cokes during the course of a meal, and I was a bottomless pit. I switched to Ice Tea, unsweetened, and it fills me up more. I don't know why.

2. 5 small meals. I know some people think it increases metabolism, some don't, but regardless, 5 small meals seems to keep me full and I haven't exhibited the binge behavior as often or in the same intensity.

3. Eat bad everyonce in a while. I have candy, chips, cookies, pies, cakes, ect, in my house. If I want a bite of chocolate, I eat a bite of chocolate. My binges always happen when I feel deprived.
  • sarah1211
    Options
    1. Diet Pop makes me want to eat more. I don't know why. I would have 4-5 diet cokes during the course of a meal, and I was a bottomless pit. I switched to Ice Tea, unsweetened, and it fills me up more. I don't know why.

I asked my doctor this exact same question :) she said the artificial sweetner tricks your body into think it is getting sugar. When your gluclose doesn't spike, it then dips and causes hunger pangs. The carbonation also makes your stomach think its full but quickly passes and your left feeling hungry again. I found this useful so I hope it helps. I still drink it but only in moderation now. I'm a coke zero addict lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Try eating dinner late. Like one to two hours before bed. Eat a good amount of protein in this meal, like 20+grams.

Get to bed by 10 PM. Your body stops producing insulin around that time and you will crave carbohydrates if you stay up late. Sleep eight hours and get up. Keep this as a routine.

These things helped me finally break the pattern. Stop beating yourself up. It's a cycle you have become used to repeating. Treat yourself as a good friend, not the enemy.
  • cptnjck0209
    cptnjck0209 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The only real time I ever binge is at an all-you-can-eat-buffet in which me and my friends use the phrase 'we have to make them LOSE MONEY!''. Which, by the way, is the stupidest idea known to man. Forcing ourselves to eat until we're ill does not 'make them lose money' and in fact, only accomplishes making us ill and unable to do much for the rest of the day...

Needless to say I have only been to a buffet once since starting my new weight-loss aims and I left feeling satisfied, more fed than usual but no where near too stuffed =D

If you don't binge:
    You feel proud
    You do not have to work extra hard to make up for it for the week
    You can have little treats when you want them without feeling guilty
    You'll most likely stay on target and feel great when you lose the weight that week
    Your kids will have their snacks
    You will have saved money
    You clothes will still fit nicely
    You will feel healthy and not ill

Yeah I think that's enough of me repeating back your answers in a more positive way =P Don't look at the negatives of binging, look at the positives of NOT binging =D
  • sandislim
    Options
    When I binge I'm in a panic -I'm not sure if its blood sugar or guilt that drives me to eating way too much. When I was heaviest I could easily eat 3000 calories in one sitting.

low blood sugar is usually the trigger - but why do I continue to eat well after that? Guilt, deprivation?

My reasons for not bingeing:-

Food does not taste as good. When its prepackaged or prepared in a rush it never tastes that good.
    When I feel better about myself I can take my time over cooking a really lovely meal and not feel the slightest bit guilty about it, I can eat it slowly and savour the tastes.
    When I binge I'm not good enough for a lovely meal, I end up eating junk, eating as fast as possible and feeling guilty.

bingeing ruins the taste of food.