Alcohol?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for me concerning alcohol? I drink with my friends 1-3 times a week. Every time I search for 'suggested drinks' it always just tells me vodka and diet coke, but I don't like that and I refuse to drink alcohol I don't like the taste of, because I think that's where it starts getting silly. These are the things I like:

White wine
Pear cider
Real ale
Some kinds of lager
Southern Comfort and Lemonade or Cranberry

Does anyone know anything that I might like that AREN'T vodka and diet coke? I'm not a massive fan of gin and tonic either to be honest :/

Replies

• Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Most spirits with a sugar free mixer aren't too bad.
  • Odoetamo
    Options
    I've been sticking with my drinks of choice (ale and wine), only drinking less of them. Halves rather than pints, smaller glasses of wine, more exercise on going out nights...(which are few and far between these days) and it seems to have worked. It's also better for you!
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Avoid drinks which add to already calorific alcohol. I started drinking red wine instead of other mixes and had fabulous effect! All bloating associated with Vodka, Whiskey etc has gone!

So officially, I recommend wine! That too Red!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you like margaritas, check out this recipe. It is now my drink of choice....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/323651-74-calorie-margaritas-at-our-house-even-the-margaritas-have
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For me, its either Crown or Bourbon on the rocks.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Google TY KU and Skinnygirl. They both make "light" alcohol choices for the masses.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for me concerning alcohol? I drink with my friends 1-3 times a week. Every time I search for 'suggested drinks' it always just tells me vodka and diet coke, but I don't like that and I refuse to drink alcohol I don't like the taste of, because I think that's where it starts getting silly. These are the things I like:

White wine
    Pear cider
    Real ale
    Some kinds of lager
    Southern Comfort and Lemonade or Cranberry

Does anyone know anything that I might like that AREN'T vodka and diet coke? I'm not a massive fan of gin and tonic either to be honest :/

Gin + Tonic has its own measure! Gin would be 90 Cals and Tonic another 124...so one drink is over 214 Cals.
  • cindyrholmes
    cindyrholmes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    White wine is about 100 calories for a 4 ounce glass, most reds are about the same but can go up to 110-120 calories.
    Jose Cuervo 0 calorie margarita mix with one shot (1 ounce) is 70 calories for 4 ounces, with1.5 shots (1.5 ounces) it is about 100 calories for 4.5 ounce drink. Not a big beer drinker myself but others may have some suggestions on that end. Also they have a new reduced calorie pomegranate juice in the grocery store produce section, may be good to mix a lower calories pomegranate martini.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not a massive fan of gin and tonic either to be honest
    blasphemy!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    A glass of wine is always ok, and it last because you only sip it. As far as mixers, all sodas and juices are loaded with sugar and calories so none of those are going to be very good for you. Have you tried flavored vodkas with soda or diet sprite? Those mixers are better in calories. As far as beer. I love beer. But I think of beer as liquid carbs. I stick to light versions of my favorites that still give you the lager taste, but a bit fewer calories. I recommend Sam Adams light or Yuengling light. Those are around 100-120 calories/12 oz.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    A glass of wine is always ok, and it last because you only sip it. As far as mixers, all sodas and juices are loaded with sugar and calories so none of those are going to be very good for you. Have you tried flavored vodkas with soda or diet sprite? Those mixers are better in calories. As far as beer. I love beer. But I think of beer as liquid carbs. I stick to light versions of my favorites that still give you the lager taste, but a bit fewer calories. I recommend Sam Adams light or Yuengling light. Those are around 100-120 calories/12 oz.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Check the calorie content of whatever it is you like, and plan accordingly.

Pretty much all liquors are around 70 calories per ounce, no matter if it's vodka, rum or whiskey, so just drink what you like.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    try having a southern comfort on the rocks mixed with water then add a packet of crystal light lemonade or rasberry mix.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I usually stick to white wine. 12oz of Guinness only has 126 calories. My friends drink at least 5 nights a week, I don't always drink with them, sometimes I just get water. It's been hard because I'm a total beer snob and it's my favorite beer season!
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) It's been useful...I think I'll just have to try and stick to wine and maybe get half a pint of beer every now and again.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Usually I get Michelob Ultra when I get beer, as it's 95 cals 2.6g carbs. It seems to be more effective as far as drinking goes than other beers, honestly! A lot of my guy friends who work out don't drink anything else! It's not a dark lager or anything, but still tastey!