Advice on purchasing a HRM

Options
So I've searched the forums for advice on a HRM. I've checked Amazon, and really don't know what I'm looking for. Some posts say make sure you get one with a chest strap (does the strap make a significant difference?)... but I didn't see any that included that, and I'm really trying not to spend TOO much money. Here is basically what I need.

Something decently priced and works well. I don't think I'll need one too fancy, as long as I can get my heart rate accurately calculated I'm sure I can calculate the calories burned somewhere else online if that saves me some money.

I'll only really be using it at the gym and during workout videos also

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 if your on a budget. It comes with everything you need.
  • edwacl
    edwacl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    +1 . Happy user of FT4 here
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    chest strap makes a huge difference. you will WANT one with it. they are more accurate than those without. Polar is a great brand. I have a FT40 for over a year and works great. yes I agree they are expensive but well worth it.
  • Red5446
    Red5446 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love Polar. Their website will give you a run down of the features for each model. I think it's worth the money for the FT4; it will count up your calories for you. Also, it seems like people who buy other types of monitors end up dealing with interference from other nearby users, while I've never had that problem.
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I have the same one too. I wanted the pink one (why I cared, I don't know!) so I paid $90 for it on Amazon. I'm certain I saw it for less if you don't have to have pink! The Polar FT4 comes with a chest strap, too.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    chest strap makes a huge difference. you will WANT one with it. they are more accurate than those without. Polar is a great brand. I have a FT40 for over a year and works great. yes I agree they are expensive but well worth it.

I have a Polar one with the chest strap because I wanted accuracy. It's pretty darn awesome and so motivating at the end of a workout to see the calories burned. I think I paid around $100
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 if your on a budget. It comes with everything you need.

Polar WearLink®+ transmitter

is this the strap?

I see it for 60$ on amazon (a pink one too lol) but I'm wondering if this is the strap or not

thanks for the information everyone, I'll save up some extra money and get one, seems like a good investment
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Yes. Another Polar FT4 user here.

Yes, it comes with a chest strap, which transmits your heart rate to your watch. :)
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have the ft4 as well, it has a chest strap, which is definitely more accurate.
    It works great, i have been using it several times a week for last couple years, definitely a great investment!
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    I bought the polar FT1 this weekend. It was a bit of a pain to figure out but I got it now. I think the FT4 (which would have been $70 more) calculates calories burned. I had to find the equations to work that out because the FT1 doesn't do that. I went cheap to make sure I'm going to use it before spending a lot of money for one. I plan on taking this on vacation just to see how many calories I am burning while walking/hiking etc.

The chest strap took a bit of getting used to but if I wear the right shirt to the gym no one has noticed.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it comes with the chest strap and transmitter. I haven't tried one without a chest strap, but everything I've read indicates that this makes a huge difference, with the strap being much more accurate.