canned tuna

Options
what is an easy cheap alternative to canned tuna? i'm trying to lower my sodium and tuna is such an easy thing for me to grab, but I know that sodium is high. thanks for the help.

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If you want similar cals and protein, Whey or Casein. Nice Dolphin for a tuna post. Lol
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I have been buying the low sodium tuna packed in water, but it is still high in sodium. I don't know what a good alternative would be.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat imitation crab meat... it is lower sodium, but a bit higher calorie... always a trade off... I also think the pouches might have less sodium than the cans... but not sure... I have to focus on so many other health issues that I don't worry so much about sodium...
  • kazza135
    kazza135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    isnt tuna in spring water better than in brine? im not sure, if anyone could confirm. :smile:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I heard if you rinse canned vegetables and tuna, it rinses off most of the sodium.... but who knows if that's true.
    I am not sodium sensitive so I love tuna!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    just found this:

To significantly reduce the salt, you will have to rinse canned food under running water. In a Duke University study, 76% of the sodium was reduced when canned tuna was when rinsed under running water for one minute.
  • kazza135
    kazza135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks will bear that in mind:smile:
  • NB_Eric
    Options
    My grocery store sells Solid White Tuna albacore low sodium in water and it's pretty darn good for you. Hopefully you can find something similar in your area.
  • Mjolner
    Mjolner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Smoked Salmon is a staple to me as well as the tuna pouches.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help guys :flowerforyou:
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    if i do wash the tuna ans it lowers the sodium, i wont be able to track that will i? i could just make a note about it and that would work?
  • Babyblueeyez4O5
    Babyblueeyez4O5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use LIght Tuna in water, i eat it as a sandwich or i use it in my salad. I love tuna, I also read that it is a fat burner. ( like most fish )
    there is a site that tells you the low sodium tuna and other fish it is http://www.heartwisefood.com/fishseafood.html hope that helps