alternative to peanut butter

Options
i should have grouped these together lol.i keep trying to find answers online, but I have much better luck posting questions here. What should you use instead of peanut butter? i love peanut butter but when i eat it my calories fo up lol. and again it piushes my sodium sky high. i dont jave any problems with sodium, except when my food diary is looked at, i keep getting told to watch my sodium. thanks again.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Try Better Than Peanut butter- half the calories, and low sodium. It doesn't quite taste like peanut butter (it's sweet), but I LOVE it! Or just eat peanut butter in moderation. It's very good for you! :D
  • jencute
    jencute Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    omg I totally second the better'n peanut butter. Personally I like it alot better than the regular kind, I'm so happy I discovered it. To me almost tastes like, cocoa-y haha. Anyway I highly suggest it.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    look up PB2
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    PB2. Seriously. bellplantation.com

Best. Thing. Ever.

When I discovered this product, I thought it was too good to be true. It's powdered, and you reconstitute it with water. The only ingredient it peanuts, so it's not a bunch of fake chemicals. It is exactly like peanut butter but without all the fat and calories. 2 tablespoons is only 45 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. It is AMAZING. You can order it off of their website or netrition.com, or check bell plantation's site for stores that may carry it around you. They have chocolate peanut butter also, which i reconstitute with some fat free coolwhip or sugar free vanilla syrup instead of water. It is to die for. The peanut crop was the worst in decades though, so the price of peanut butter and related products is going to skyrocket... so get it sooner than later.
  • lizmac1128
    lizmac1128 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Shanna, if you find a "just peanuts" brand with no additives, it will taste better and have no sodium. Good luck.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has to watch his/her sodium intake.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    can't help you with cals & what not, but I LOVE Peanut Butter & Co's stuff, as well as Justin's Nut Butter, and Barney Butter.
  • JacksMom12
    Options
    look up PB2

thank you! It shocks me that more people don't know about this product. I heard Dr. Oz had it on his show though, so since he's like to Oprah for diet products I'm sure they will be flying off shelves now.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Gel PB2, - http://www.bellplantation.com/

It's not an alternative to Peanut Butter, it is Peanut Butter. They remove the oil and make it a powder. It's all natural, has 45 calories per serving and 1.5grams of fat. You mix it with water. You can sprinkle it on ice-cream, make a peanut sauce for pasta/salad, lots of other uses. They have plain and chocolate. (I can't really tell the difference between the 2, so don't get too excited about the chocolate one!).

I will warn you. It's not as good as Skippy, but when you get that urge to have peanut butter, it's a nice substitute. It's a little expensive, they get you with the shipping. They also sell on Amazon and a few other sites, but I checked around, it's all the same price anywhere.

Try it!
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I am using my same peanut butter, no changes. I have told myself, I cannot have the peanut butter every day and when I do have the treat...I only use 1-2 teaspoons instead of entire tablespoon. I love peanut butter too!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I use barney butter almond butter.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is actually a good protein. My trainer recommended almond butter instead cause it will also give you the omega 3 you need. You can also try one of the lighter peanut butters with less fat.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As has already mentioned before, not everyone needs to watch their sodium intake. That being said, I am wondering why your peanut butter has sodium in it. Buy one that is only made of peanuts. It will have 0mg sodium.

I never used to eat peanut butter until I started this weight loss journey. Now I usually eat about a tablespoon almost every day!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    what about no salt, no sugar added pb? that should help with the sodium intake.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    mix the natural peanut butter with non-fat Greek yogurt.

You can also try powdered PB
  • JacksMom12
    Options
    I thought the OP was worried about calories NOT sodium.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    PB2 can be purchased from Bell Plantations

http://www.bellplantation.com/

It is a powdered peanut butter that comes in regular and choc. and has the fat removed. I personally use it in smoothies and recipes all of the time. I love it used this way. Try a few tbs. in your protein shake. My particular favorites are: A

Chocolate whey protein (I use Jay Robb) 1 scoop
    3 TBS of PB2
    3/4 to 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 cup unsweetened frozen cherries / strawberries or blueberries or a mixture
    Stevia or splenda to taste (only if you need it)
    Blend all ( you can add a few ice cubes if you want it even thicker)

Vanilla whey protein
    1/2 Frozen bananna
    3 TBS of PB2
    Stevia or splenda to taste
    3/4 to 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

I know many people that mix it with water and like it that way but for a true peanut butter lover like me the absence of fat is a killer. I have found that mixing it with just a little water then adding some macerated strawberries and stevia or your favorite jam with splenda makes it much better. I do eat it on apples, toast etc this way.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I thought the OP was worried about calories NOT sodium.
    Yep, the OP did say that. Sounds like her friends have the problem, not her.
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    PB2 awesome,order online its the best low cal etc