Cardio vs weights

Options
I have heard different things in the past. Some say it's best to have a cardio heavy workout and others say it's best to have a weights heavy workout. I typically workout about an hour a day and do about half and half but I would like to know what everyone thinks is best. Is it best to do a cardio heavy workout, a weights heavy workout or just keep doing what I am doing?

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I do both, I do fasted cardio in the AM then weights in the PM just because that's what my schedule permits.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump I want to follow this thread as well.Thanks
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you are in a position to do both of them or if you enjoy doing both, then I would keep doing both.

Ultimately though, weight training will preserve lean mass as your bodyweight drops, and unless you want to look skinny-fat it would be in your best interest to keep lifting weights. Cardio alone will obviously burn calories and help you create a deficit, and also has health benefits, but as far as looking strictly at physique, you'll get much greater results from weight training.

Skinny-fat is a term that essentially means: Looks normal with a shirt on, looks awful with a shirt off. Skinny arms, little muscle development, with a gut. a.k.a me 1 year ago.
  • KimKramer
    Options
    I think everyone is different but for me I started REALLY seeing results when I started doing 20-30mins of lifting (usually only 2 body parts a day) and then a sweat filled cardio workout for 45mins.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I follow Primal Blueprint Fitness: lift heavy things a couple of times a week. Short sprint interval once every 7-10 days. Move steadily at a slow pace a minimum of 3-5 hours a week (split up or even all at once).

It does the trick and doesn't cut into the rest of my life too much. Strength training is great cardio, too - especially doing back to back sets or cycles.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    For weight loss cardio will help the most, you should keep lifting to not lose muscle mass along the way. Instead of 1/2 and 1/2, I would recommend 3/4 cardio and 1/4 weights. Once you get close to your goal, you could increase to heavier weight percentage.
  • Pashamorena
    Options
    I like to do half and half. I weight train 2 hours 2 days a week and do spin classes for an hour 3 days a week. I have really seen big results doing this.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your fitness program should be designed to meet your goals and also include activities that you enjoy.

The reason why you might see a lot of different recommendations is because there is no single right answer.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cardio just bumps up your daily calorie consumption and gives little bit of muscle if you are just starting to exercise.
    Weight lifting build and preserves Your muscles.
    You can see my profile pictures i took after i lost weight on P90X (the front and side) and it was only 1 month of calisthenic followed by 1 month of gym and that was on a deficit and I do cardio like 10-15 minutes after weights.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Depends what your goals are surely?

I'm doing both, 30mins of each per day usually. I enjoy rock climbing and hill walking and have an active job so need strength and stamina. There would be no point me just lifting as that wouldn't get me to the summit, but then there would be no point me just doing cardio as that wouldn't help me climb rocks.

If it's just for weight loss and you are stuck for time I say cardio everytime. Burn as many calories as you can during intense cardio workouts.

Remember, there's no right/wrong or lifelong way of doing it. I started with just cardio and added strength later. Hence why I think start with cardio, get in a routine, get your overall fitness improved and loose some weight before starting weights.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think by doing half and half every day you're short changing both a little bit. I work out six days a week. Having three dedicated cardio days and three lifting . I have an hour a day to workout, and feel I've been getting the best results from this mix. The important thing is that you are doing both! I've been skinny-fat before and it is not cool. Almost as bad as being fat-fat!
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I do both and I get alot of flak from some of my friends that lift. "cardio is counterproductive, stop doing it" I know that I wouldn't have the endurance I have now if I just did weights, so I continue to do both. It is more like a cross-fit training that way. I guess the argument would be that you would burn energy doing cardio that would come from protein in your muscles, or from your food, and then not have enough to build muscle.

Also trying to loose weight a calorie deficit is counter productive, so I guess I am doubly counter-productive. But the results I see are encouraging- size 38 pants (from busting out of 44) and people have commented on how 'cut ' I was . So I am sticking with 40-50 minutes of running and weight lifting.

I plan on starting P90x soon. Anyone have any suggestions - do you continue all your other exercise in conjunction with it or is that your sole workout?
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    I do both equally. I have a few health problems so there is a lot I can't do, but I do try to focus on both weight training and resistance training as well as cardio equally. I stay at home all day so I try to stay active. Plus, I look forward to cardio.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    For me, cardio will always beat weights. And I prefer cardio strength workouts over just strength workouts.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Some cardio, mostly weights.

I've always done some strength training, but it wasn't until about 2 years ago that I took up a lot more strength training then usual. I added BodyPump to my routine which is cardio and strength training and after all the years of mostly cardio, my body started to change shape from the lean muscle. The scale wasn't moving too much, but I was wearing smaller clothes because I was gaining muscle.

So now I do a little cardio and more weights because I see better results that way, plus better muscle tone makes your cardio performance even better because you're stronger.
  • Leisa42
    Leisa42 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do 30 min of cardio before each weight session. It is important to get blood and oxygen flowing through the muscles. I do 30 min cardio every day, then weight train 3x a week after. Gotta rest those muscles too.