Always hungry

Options
Some days I just get this urge to eat all the time but my stomach is NOT growling. So I usually try not to eat until my stomach says so. I eat throughout the day. I have meals that are full of nutrition and average about 200-300 calories each. I drink lots of water as well but will the urge to eat (especially sweets) go away? What causes this? I don't want to fail because my mind (or whatever) is telling me to eat but I have to keep saying no. I also try munching on things that are under 100 calories...such as fiber one bars, salads, half of a turkey sandwich, carrots, shrimp, etc. but sometimes it doesn't help. What should I do?

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    hello fellow omahan!

Your stomach doesn't need to be growling to indicate you're hungry. What's your daily calorie goal?

Might open your diary, others will request that in order to offer better suggestions.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    If you're not over eating, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're struggling not to go over your calories + exercise calories, I would recommend drinking 1-2 cups of green tea a day, preferably in the morning / early afternoon, unless you buy de-caffeinated.
  • Crystal860412
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way, I could eat and be full and a half an hour later be starving again. And that, I think was a huge reason for my weight gain. When I started this though, I failed for awhile at the beginning because, I had no clue what I was doing. I was trying to eat 3 meals a day, which I've never done. I could never eat breakfast, it always made me feel sick. I really struggled with drinking water, it made me feel sick as well. But once I started getting better at this stuff, and figuring out my body and needs a bit...I realized that for me, I didn't need to eat big meals to get full...I eat a small-med size meal BUT I eat a snack every 2-3 hours. And once I started being able to drink more water I realized that alot of the times I was more thirst than hungry. Also, more fruit and protein really helps keep you fuller longer. My diary is open and you can look at it all you want so you get a better idea of what I mean. Today wasn't a good day...there was a birthday party :laugh: Feel free to add me, everyone can use more support and motivation.
  • Crystal860412
    Options
    I also made my diary public
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Looks fine, all I see is that you're going over a bit on sugar/fat/carbs - maybe try to reduce those a little? Sugar isn't so much of an issue - but it's better to get it through complex carbs rather than sweets / refined sugar.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the protein MFP has set for you, but I don't see much in terms of protein intake in your diary. Protein will help make you full for longer.

Just curious why 1200 is your calorie goal if you still have 80 lbs to lose? Seems low. I'd be gnawing my arm off if I at that little.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough in general (1200 is way too low imo) and not eating back exercise calories = always hungry. It's a simple solution, eat more.
  • stacyb521
    Options
    I feel like I am always hungry to and what works for me if i'm having a hungry day but don't want to blow my calories is to make a bag of light butter popcorn (I shop at Aldi's so it's the fit and active) which the entire bag is about 40-60 calories (1 cup is 20 calories) so I feel like I'm eating a lot with out hurting my calories. Good luck!
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to make each meal/snack contain a little protein and fat with the carbs to slow absorption and keep you full longer. Look for high fiber carbs as well.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Try eating more whole grains and less processed foods. They will fill you up longer and control sugar cravings.
    I noticed a lot of your meals are prepackaged and processed. Try a few days eating a lot of vegetables and fresh fruit and whole grain pasta/rice and beans. Breakfast could be a better cereal with milk and berries. For snacking, try banana with peanut butter.

Try dark chocolate for chocolate cravings, or homemade hot cocoa with a bit less sugar and dont drink soda.

I think once you get those pre-packaged foods out, you will notice your cravings will cease and you can eat more. A banana is more filling than a kitkat.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I meant *you can eat more* for less calories and you will feel full longer. :-)