The 8 Worst Sandwiches in America (Plus 8 More You'll Love!)

Options
WORST BREAKFAST SANDWICH
Au Bon Pain Sausage, Egg and Cheddar on Asiago Bagel
810 calories
47 g fat (23 g saturated, 0.5 g trans)
58 g carbs
1,540 mg sodium

A healthy breakfast sandwich can be a great start to your day—the protein-packed eggs and meat will keep you feeling fuller longer. But Au Bon Pain’s breakfast bagel isn’t what we had in mind. Cut calories by switching to bacon and Swiss there, and cut carbs by choosing an English muffin over a bagel, roll, or croissant.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
Scrambled Eggs Tomato and Spinach Wrap
390 calories
15 g fat (4 g saturated)
47 g carbs
650 mg sodium

(For other early morning sandwiches to dodge at home, check out THIS list of the 12 worst breakfast foods at the supermarket.)

WORST TURKEY SANDWICH
Atlanta Bread Company Turkey Bacon Rustica
960 calories
56 g fat (19 g saturated)
62 g carbs
2,480 mg sodium

Sandwiches shouldn’t top much more than 500 calories; this one gobbles up almost half your daily allowance. While it’s loaded with protein, it’s also packed with saturated fat and more than a day’s worth of sodium (the blame falls largely on the one-two punch of mayo and pesto).

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
Turkey on Nine Grain
370 calories
6 g fat (2 g saturated)
50 g carbs
1,240 mg sodium

WORST STEAK SANDWICH
Quizno’s Prime Rib Cheesesteak Sub, Large
1,490 calories
92 g fat (22.5 g saturated, 2 g trans)
102 g carbs
2,620 mg sodium

At 670 calories, even the small version of this sub is pushing the bounds of reasonable consumption. But in this big guy, you’re taking in a day’s worth of sodium, along with a day’s worth of saturated fat, and nearly a whole day’s caloric intake as well. A survival strategy for eating at Quiznos: If you’re going to order a sub, order it small and without dressing or cheese. Better yet, skip the subs altogether in favor of the more restrained Sammies. You’d be better off with two of them than with most regular-sized sandwiches at Quiznos.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
Bistro Steak Melt Flatbread Sammie
280 calories
13 g fat (4 g saturated)
26 g carbs
645 mg sodium

WORST GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICH
Romano’s Macaroni Grill Grilled Chicken and Artichoke Sandwich
1,260 calories
80 g fat (17 g saturated)
71 g carbs
2,990 mg sodium

Most people know by now that grilled equals good in the world of chicken, but Romano’s somehow manages to challenge that well-established nutritional tenet. The heavy-handed Italian chain takes two reasonable foods—lean chicken and nutrient-rich artichoke—and turns them into a monster of a fat-laden sandwich that comes with almost a day-and-a-half’s worth of sodium and the caloric equivalent of 27 chicken McNuggets.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
Pollo Magro
320 calories
5 g fat (1.5 g saturated)
29 g carbs
1,630 mg sodium

WORST FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH
Chili’s Cajun Crisper Bites Sandwich
1,410 calories
79 g fat (18 g saturated)
124 g carbs
3,930 mg sodium

Words on the Chili’s menu to avoid: “Cajun” and “Crisper.” In Chili’s land, they translate to fat- and calorie-packed sauces and frying oil. Put them between two slices of bread, and you’ve got one of the worst sandwiches we’ve found on all counts—with the sodium equivalent of 120 saltine crackers and the same number of calories as you’ll find in 56 strips of bacon. Taste the same bold flavors and save more than 1,000 calories and 2,000 milligrams of sodium by opting for the Fajita Pita instead.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
Fajita Pita Chicken
380 calories
12 g fat (2 g saturated)
1570 mg sodium

WORST VEGGIE SANDWICH
Blimpie Special Vegetarian 12 Inch
1,186 calories
60 g fat (19 g saturated)
131 g carbs
3,532 mg sodium

“Vegetarian” doesn’t automatically translate to “healthy” (the same holds true for salads—check out this list of America’s worst salads to see what we means). Sure, this sandwich has vegetables, but it’s also loaded with fatty oils and sauce, and it’s on bread that’s 12 inches long. No wonder it contains over half a day’s worth of calories and an explosion of carbs. Portion control is key to keeping weight off. Your strategy with this sandwich: Share it with a Little League team.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
VeggieMax 6 Inch
522 calories
20 g fat (6 g saturated)
56 g carbs
1,272 mg sodium

WORST “HEALTHY” SANDWICH
Noah’s Deli Chicken Salad Sandwich
1,150 calories
95 g fat (14 g saturated, 1.5 g trans)
61 g carbs
1,190 mg sodium

Don’t be fooled because it’s got the word “salad” in its name. This trans-fatty Noah’s sandwich is not a healthy choice for your arteries or your waistline. (Click here for an indispensable list of other health food imposters.)

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
California Chicken Sandwich
360 calories
7 g fat (2 g saturated)
49 g carbs
840 mg sodium

WORST SANDWICH IN AMERICA
Quizno’s Tuna Melt, large
1,760 calories
133 g fat (25 g saturated, 1.5 g trans)
92 g carbs
2,120 mg sodium

Tuna melts are scary because they sound so harmless—in almost all other forms, tuna is usually a smart and healthy choice. So what’s with the insane caloric overload? Blame the fat-packed mayo the tuna is mixed with, along with Quizno’s larger-than-life portion sizes. Even though they’ve managed to trim this melt down from the original 2,000-plus calorie mark when we first tested it, it still remains the worst sandwich we’ve found.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
Sonoma Turkey Flatbread Sammie
280 calories
14 g fat (4 g saturated)
26 g carbs
760 mg sodium

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    WORST BREAKFAST SANDWICH
    Au Bon Pain Sausage, Egg and Cheddar on Asiago Bagel
    810 calories
    47 g fat (23 g saturated, 0.5 g trans)
    58 g carbs
    1,540 mg sodium

A healthy breakfast sandwich can be a great start to your day—the protein-packed eggs and meat will keep you feeling fuller longer. But Au Bon Pain’s breakfast bagel isn’t what we had in mind. Cut calories by switching to bacon and Swiss there, and cut carbs by choosing an English muffin over a bagel, roll, or croissant.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
    Scrambled Eggs Tomato and Spinach Wrap
    390 calories
    15 g fat (4 g saturated)
    47 g carbs
    650 mg sodium

(For other early morning sandwiches to dodge at home, check out THIS list of the 12 worst breakfast foods at the supermarket.)

WORST TURKEY SANDWICH
    Atlanta Bread Company Turkey Bacon Rustica
    960 calories
    56 g fat (19 g saturated)
    62 g carbs
    2,480 mg sodium

Sandwiches shouldn’t top much more than 500 calories; this one gobbles up almost half your daily allowance. While it’s loaded with protein, it’s also packed with saturated fat and more than a day’s worth of sodium (the blame falls largely on the one-two punch of mayo and pesto).

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
    Turkey on Nine Grain
    370 calories
    6 g fat (2 g saturated)
    50 g carbs
    1,240 mg sodium

WORST STEAK SANDWICH
    Quizno’s Prime Rib Cheesesteak Sub, Large
    1,490 calories
    92 g fat (22.5 g saturated, 2 g trans)
    102 g carbs
    2,620 mg sodium

At 670 calories, even the small version of this sub is pushing the bounds of reasonable consumption. But in this big guy, you’re taking in a day’s worth of sodium, along with a day’s worth of saturated fat, and nearly a whole day’s caloric intake as well. A survival strategy for eating at Quiznos: If you’re going to order a sub, order it small and without dressing or cheese. Better yet, skip the subs altogether in favor of the more restrained Sammies. You’d be better off with two of them than with most regular-sized sandwiches at Quiznos.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
    Bistro Steak Melt Flatbread Sammie
    280 calories
    13 g fat (4 g saturated)
    26 g carbs
    645 mg sodium

WORST GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICH
    Romano’s Macaroni Grill Grilled Chicken and Artichoke Sandwich
    1,260 calories
    80 g fat (17 g saturated)
    71 g carbs
    2,990 mg sodium

Most people know by now that grilled equals good in the world of chicken, but Romano’s somehow manages to challenge that well-established nutritional tenet. The heavy-handed Italian chain takes two reasonable foods—lean chicken and nutrient-rich artichoke—and turns them into a monster of a fat-laden sandwich that comes with almost a day-and-a-half’s worth of sodium and the caloric equivalent of 27 chicken McNuggets.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
    Pollo Magro
    320 calories
    5 g fat (1.5 g saturated)
    29 g carbs
    1,630 mg sodium

WORST FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH
    Chili’s Cajun Crisper Bites Sandwich
    1,410 calories
    79 g fat (18 g saturated)
    124 g carbs
    3,930 mg sodium

Words on the Chili’s menu to avoid: “Cajun” and “Crisper.” In Chili’s land, they translate to fat- and calorie-packed sauces and frying oil. Put them between two slices of bread, and you’ve got one of the worst sandwiches we’ve found on all counts—with the sodium equivalent of 120 saltine crackers and the same number of calories as you’ll find in 56 strips of bacon. Taste the same bold flavors and save more than 1,000 calories and 2,000 milligrams of sodium by opting for the Fajita Pita instead.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
    Fajita Pita Chicken
    380 calories
    12 g fat (2 g saturated)
    1570 mg sodium

WORST VEGGIE SANDWICH
    Blimpie Special Vegetarian 12 Inch
    1,186 calories
    60 g fat (19 g saturated)
    131 g carbs
    3,532 mg sodium

“Vegetarian” doesn’t automatically translate to “healthy” (the same holds true for salads—check out this list of America’s worst salads to see what we means). Sure, this sandwich has vegetables, but it’s also loaded with fatty oils and sauce, and it’s on bread that’s 12 inches long. No wonder it contains over half a day’s worth of calories and an explosion of carbs. Portion control is key to keeping weight off. Your strategy with this sandwich: Share it with a Little League team.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
    VeggieMax 6 Inch
    522 calories
    20 g fat (6 g saturated)
    56 g carbs
    1,272 mg sodium

WORST “HEALTHY” SANDWICH
    Noah’s Deli Chicken Salad Sandwich
    1,150 calories
    95 g fat (14 g saturated, 1.5 g trans)
    61 g carbs
    1,190 mg sodium

Don’t be fooled because it’s got the word “salad” in its name. This trans-fatty Noah’s sandwich is not a healthy choice for your arteries or your waistline. (Click here for an indispensable list of other health food imposters.)

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
    California Chicken Sandwich
    360 calories
    7 g fat (2 g saturated)
    49 g carbs
    840 mg sodium

WORST SANDWICH IN AMERICA
    Quizno’s Tuna Melt, large
    1,760 calories
    133 g fat (25 g saturated, 1.5 g trans)
    92 g carbs
    2,120 mg sodium

Tuna melts are scary because they sound so harmless—in almost all other forms, tuna is usually a smart and healthy choice. So what’s with the insane caloric overload? Blame the fat-packed mayo the tuna is mixed with, along with Quizno’s larger-than-life portion sizes. Even though they’ve managed to trim this melt down from the original 2,000-plus calorie mark when we first tested it, it still remains the worst sandwich we’ve found.

EAT THIS, INSTEAD!
    Sonoma Turkey Flatbread Sammie
    280 calories
    14 g fat (4 g saturated)
    26 g carbs
    760 mg sodium
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    133 g of fat???? On the Quizno's Tuna Melt!!:sick: :noway:

I mean, they are ALL bad but WOAH, that one about made me fall out of my chair!!
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Yuck! Prepare your food at home ... at least then you know what's going into it!
  • msdivadivine
    Options
    OK AT THIS RATE I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO EAT OUT AGAIN AND I WILL BE FORCED TO STAY AT HOME AND COOK:sad:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    181273.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

WOW WHAT DID YOU GET THIS LIST FROM DO YOU HAVE N E MORE?
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options

I mean, they are ALL bad but WOAH, that one about made me fall out of my chair!!

I agree with Tam, that is just nuts.
  • elliott062907
    Options
    181273.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

WOW WHAT DID YOU GET THIS LIST FROM DO YOU HAVE N E MORE?

It was in mens health magazine.
  • elliott062907
    Options
    Yuck! Prepare your food at home ... at least then you know what's going into it!

That's like with subway. I thought I was eating smart by only have a few a month?? Then I read the calorie untake and fat grams of what I was eating!!!!! I fell off my rocker!!
  • elliott062907
    Options

I agree, I have been eating morte whole wheat pita's and low carb wraps now.
  • K2T4e2n6
    K2T4e2n6 Posts: 50
    Options
    MSN.com posted this list also.
  • elliott062907
    Options
    MSN.com posted this list also.

scarey huh??
  • K2T4e2n6
    K2T4e2n6 Posts: 50
    Options
    It's HORRIFYING!! I'm scared to eat out anywhere. I've started either ordering appetizers or sharing. I REFUSE to eat a "regular" portion meal by myself at a restaurant. hahaha

I used to work at a Blimpie's and we had a lady come in EVERYday and order 4 (!) footlongs for her and her husband. They were for lunch and dinner for the two of them. And it was ALWAYS the veggie and it was ALWAYS covered in cheese-6-8 pieces, mayo, oil and southwest sauce (spicy mayo). They kept gaining weight and couldn't figure out why.

***NOW TIME FOR A PSA (PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***
    I DO NOT recommend the Veggie Max. It is a dehydrated, frozen mash of fake vegetables. They keep it around to appease the vegans/vegetarians (ps vegans there's some kind of dehydrated milk in it to stick it together). It gets drug out at the last second and half-butt microwaved before being covered with frozen or wilting vegetables (depending on if you show up in the morning or afternoon). They don't throw the veggies out at night they refreeze them. This goes on for a couple of days (they get delivery on Wednesdays and Saturdays if that helps you calculate) until new veggies arrive and the whole vicious cycle starts again.

I apologize to and for those of you CURRENTLY working at Blimpie's.
  • msdivadivine
    Options
    I am getting to the point that I am afarid to eat out at all. My problem is that I love food that has rich flavor and with that comes tons of calories. I guess I will have to go on the Whitney Houston diet......"Yes waiter I will have a hot cup of steam and a bowl of nothing, thank you.":laugh:
  • nevertellen34
    Options
    Subway you can actully be smart about.
    On the menu board they list 6 inch subs with under 8 grams of fat. Now keep in mind its "you" who picks what goes on your sub and you go for chipolte sauce and mayo extra cheese and oil well then you know why your going out of whats considered healty lunch.

Anyone whos been here long enough knows we log our food and condements like mayo and mustard. I picked few subs that were quite acceptable in fat and calories from 6 inch turkey to 6 inch club even .. I get light mayo and tell the lady to go easy with it,mustard for dressing and two small triangles of cheese.

Now I think theres only like ONE sub you can get at quiznos here in canada chicken one I cant remember the name of..expensive and hardly worth it there!