Seeing myself at the gym

Options
The last couple of classes I've been to (Zumba/Turbokick), have been pretty empty at my gym. That meant there wasn't really any hiding in the back. I had to see myself, I was forced to see myself, in the wall of mirrors in the group exercise room.
Beyond what I look like, I was really sad to see what I saw. When I'm in those classes I'm busting *kitten*. burning 800-1000 calories. I FEEL like I'm moving and grooving. I FEEL like I'm superwomen.
Thats not what I saw.
I'm barely getting my feet off the ground. I think I'm kicking and punching and going hard, the mirror shows something else.
I think Im shaking and jumping and getting height, the mirror shows something else.

No wonder everyone is always looking at me. I'm by far the largest person at the gym. At least I go, I guess.

Replies

• doramouse
    Options
    You can only do what you can do! The fact that you are there is wonderful and forget about what you look like - which I know is impossible :)
    Keep at it and you'll get better. It's not a contest though - and you should be proud of yourself!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You do your best, who cares what anyone else thinks! You're in there, moving and doing something good for yourself, that's all that matters!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean and what you are feeling BUT you are there and that is way more important than anything else. And the others aren't looking at you, most people are so consumed by their own work that they really aren't people watching. The important thing is, you come out of the class, with a kickass burn, knowing you are doing something to improve your health and fitness. And you know you are getting fitter. And you get to be one of those who inspires other people to get in there and get moving. Chip up! :flowerforyou:
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No body wakes up with a perfect body, you have to work at it. Its awesome that you are at the gym. So who cares what everyone thinks you look like, you are doing this for you
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You know what? Next time you see that chick in the mirror, just turn the negative off! Say to yourself, look at me, I am kicking as hard as I can, jumping as high as I can. Keep it up and she will soon say back- "Hell yeah you are, look at your bad self!" Seriously! You can be proud that you are there when all those who are leaving the room "emptier" than usual aren't getting off their butts and getting to class. Think how your inside is changing, and your attitude about how hard you are working. You will do this!!! Just speak positively to that reflection in the mirror and tell her she is kickin *kitten*!!!
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Keep watching yourself...I have a feeling you'll see things changing. Keep at it and you'll see yourself getting better, kicking higher, etc. It also will give you the motivation to push just a little more each time. I thought the same thing, too, when I first started going to these classes with mirrors, "everyone else is looking at me"....but then I realized that's not true...everyone else is looking at themselves and thinking the same thing!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I can understand how you feel, but you will get past it. I have been at it some time now, and although I am still the biggest (and most uncoordinated) member in my step class, I can do all the class now and I enjoy it. You will see improvements in how you do certain exercises (dips were my stumbling block) and you will probably have to buy smaller workout clothes (its embarrassing when you have to keep hitching up your leggings in class). Just keep at it.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't it be more important what you feel rather than what you see? If you are doing your best and you KNOW you are getting a good burn thats what matters. I feel silly sometimes at the gym too, like everyone is waiting to see when the fat guy trying to run on the treadmill is going to pass out, but I still do it. I feel less and less silly each time I go. I see the same people in there most days, so they know I've been coming in for the last two months, so at least I'm trying.

Keep it up and you will get better at the workouts and feel better about doing them.
  • slimkitty
    Options
    Just do your best!!! I used to have a problem looking at the mirrors. My trainer would always remind to keep my head up and look straight ahead and I always refused. Once I started looking at the mirrors in a detached sort of way and without self loathing - I saw exactly what my body was doing and it was different from what my brain thought my body was doing. At that point I was able to improve myself. I found ways to kick higher, punch harder, jump higher and farther.
    The mirror can be your friend. Don't worry about anybody else in that room. Focus on yourself and your own improvement. You will reach your goals soon enough and then you can set new ones :)
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Most people focus on themselves and how they look in all those mirrors.

Judgers will judge no matter what.

You are in there for YOU not them. And it sounds like you are kicking serious Butt! Those calorie burns aren't something to be laughed at. You are doing great.

I am never the smallest in the classes I take, but I go up front and center. I sweat like a man and sometimes can't keep up. These are things that used to shame me to the back. I embrace the class for what it is, a workout. I only look in the mirror to check my form, the rest of the time my eyes are focused on the teacher. I forgot there is others in the room.

You are rocking it! Keep it up!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You are there and you are doing it. It is easier said than done but do not pay attention to the person in the mirror while working out {personally I wish they would ban all mirrors from the work out areas}. I am male and have Zumba'd a few times male + overweight+ 0530 + uncordinated + snow= me and a very hyper Zumba instructor who I have a very special relationship with after the last class where I could not hold the excess body air back., The echo was bouncing off the walls for minutes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,037 Member
    Options
    You are doing it! Zumba is great, and you're having fun and burning calories.

I never think any bad thoughts about larger people who are out there exercising. I always think, "Go. Look at you! Keep it up." I was there once.

I think you are an inspiration. Replace those negatives with positives.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Think of the Non Scale Victories that await you!

You're busting some major *kitten* doing what you're doing and it'll only get better ;)

I've found that breakthroughs with exercise happen in 3 month intervals.

Keep it up, you're doing brill ;)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You're there and you're moving and that's what matters. As the weight comes off what you feel like you're doing will eventually be reflected back in that mirror. It really will be. And you'll be faster and stronger than the smaller people who give it only half a try while they are there. Hang tight. Stick with it and use this not as a deterrent but as motivation to be on the outside they way you feel on the inside.

Running was this way for me- last summer I did my first 12K I had lost over 100lbs and yeah I felt like I was the strongest girl in the world... I was on a training run and I ran past a line of stores with plate glass windows. I ventured a form check. I felt as though I was standing up straight, getting full extension on my stride and holding my abs tight... that's what I felt. What I saw was myself leaning forward almost hunched taking little strides and my belly that I had been working so hard to lose actually flopping around. Like picking up and flopping with each step. Something that I had thought for sure had been gone for sometime. I was mortified. But I didn't stop running. I ran more. I practiced form in short distance runs and sprint training. I started focusing more on weight lifting... I will cure this- in fact I plan on running NEXT summer in a sportsbra and looking like the girl in my picture...

Use this experience to make yourself better and eff 'em if they stare. Pretty soon they'll be staring cuz you're the hot chick.

Just never stop.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    You are there and you are doing it. It is easier said than done but do not pay attention to the person in the mirror while working out {personally I wish they would ban all mirrors from the work out areas}. I am male and have Zumba'd a few times male + overweight+ 0530 + uncordinated + snow= me and a very hyper Zumba instructor who I have a very special relationship with after the last class where I could not hold the excess body air back., The echo was bouncing off the walls for minutes.

yay I don't feel alone! guy here that does weekly zumba. me, a younger thin guy that's pretty good! and a older gentleman. total of 4 guys with 30+ girls. we also have mirrors but I try not too look. or I get self-conscious and began to suck even more than I already suck. lol
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually a good thing to see yourself in the mirror. That is what I do when I'm doing my DVD's. Once you get better you'll be able to see the difference. Believe me, when I first started and saw myself in the mirror... it was NOT a pretty sight. Now I can see some difference. Be proud!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    OMG thats what happened to me. We used to have it in the gymnasium and then sat the y put us in a mirrored room. I thought i would die. I found myself not working as hard because I could see myself flopping around. So I feel your pain but I also thought about it and next week I am going for it! I might flop around but Im going to flop this weight right off!! Just go for it with your head held high!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Don't worry what other people think, it is NOT about them. This is about you! I can sympathize with what you are saying. Being a bigger size, you are working as hard if not harder than skinnier people who can jump higher, throw better kicks, etc. Keep going, keep exercising, and in no time you will be far ahead of those who stare. SMILE, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!