So frustrated with the last 5!!!

Options
Ok, I know there are threads about the dreaded last 5 pounds, but I want some recent posts to get some friends that are trying to get rid of those last 5. So please add me if you are struggling too.

I am so frustrated. I am 5'6" and at 135 pounds now - I started at 172 so I have lost quite a bit of weight. I set my goal at the very beginning to 130 pounds and that number is stuck in my head. a bit of background, I started with 1300 calories and lost some weight, but started educating myself on proper calorie intake and realized that I wasn't eating enough. I listened to a podcast that was really helpful and they said to eat at the calories that you need at your goal weight. So I plugged in my information and it said to eat around 1600 calories if I want to be 130 pounds. So I did this. I did lose weight very successfully at this calorie intake.

I have also played with zig zagging which helped me get out of the plateau of 147 pounds, but that is also where I increased my calorie intake.

So now, I am still eating 1600 calories but I've been at 135 pounds for a few weeks now and the scale isn't budging. It seems pretty clear to me, that the podcast I was listening to is pretty bang on, except that the weight is a bit off - in that the 1600 is exactly my calorie intake to maintain 135 pounds.

Am I crazy for being frustrated? or should I accept that 135 is where I'm going to be if I eat the 1600 calories and be happy with that weight? Like I said before, that 130 pounds was in my head at the beginning so it's just stuck in my head. I feel like I am a failure if I don't lose that last 5 that I wanted to lose. But the truth is, I don't want a lifestyle of eating less food to maintain 130 pounds, or constantly struggling at that weight.

Most sites say that there isn't much of a calorie intake difference in maintaining 130 or 135 pounds (something like 50 calories!). So should I just cut 100 calorie and see what happens? I know increasing my calories won't work because I am at the calories I need to be for this weight. I am going to try zigzagging again for a couple weeks again, but I have a feeling that I am destined to be at 135 pounds. Is this OK!?

Please help!!

Replies

• fit4everyoung
    Options
    Read later!
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I read the same thing somewhere and raised my calorie intake from 1200 (which was working for me) to 1400. I gained 5 pouinds in two weeks by doing this. Basically, I'm telling you to stick with what worked the first time. That's what I've done. When I switched back to the 1200 cals, I lost three pounds in three days. I hope this helps. BTW it wasn't all water weight either. Even my fat percentage changed.
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been at a plateau of 132-133 for about a month or two now. I read to not worry about the numbers on the scale but to do measurements. I did this and in 2 weeks lost overall 7 inches. I know as long as I continue to eat right and work out that eventually I will see the number I want (125) for myself.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Remember the calorie number is an estimate. You may need slightly less. I would take 100 to 200 calories off what you are eating and see how it working in 2-3 weeks.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    At some point, your body will reach an equilibrium at the weight it wants to be when you are active and eating healthy. I think you should listen to your body and put the number out of your mind. Now you need to switch gears into MAINTAIN mode. That needs far more mental energy than worrying about that last 5.
  • OneDayFree
    OneDayFree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so happy that you have gone so far with MFP. I eat about 1200 cal a day. If I eat anymore than that I gain weight. I go out and walk sometimes during my free time just so I can eat an extra item.

Go with the 135 pounds right now - and after Christmas try for the mark of 130. Give yourself a hand for all that you done and relax during the holiday season.

Hope that this helps. :smile:
  • josterhaus
    Options
    bump for later
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I have 6lbs to go so feel free to add me. I am just going to keep doing what I am doing. I have accepted that the last 6 will be slow and frustrating and given myself the goal of losing it by February. It seems like a long way away but with my birthday, xmas and New year thrown in it works out at 2lbs a month.
  • julzmm
    julzmm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i have about 3 to go. Ive changed my settings now so I am only to lose 0.5 lb per week and I havent changed what exercise I have been doing. Maybe change your settings to lose less per week and then change whatever exercise you are doing. Sometimes its not about the last few pounds, just see how your body is changing for a bit. Maybe there is some inches coming off instead of the pounds!
    Well done for getting this far!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Perso, I had to switch from scale oriented goals to fitness and body fat % oriented goals.

I am sorry to pimp my blog, but you will see 2 pictures of my belly, same weight and even same mesurements!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Yanicka1/view/the-scale-lie-and-so-does-the-mesuring-tape-163954

Still a big difference.

Strenght training had a huge influence on how I look....I have still some weight to lose but nobody outside me see my problems areas.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I read the same thing somewhere and raised my calorie intake from 1200 (which was working for me) to 1400. I gained 5 pouinds in two weeks by doing this. Basically, I'm telling you to stick with what worked the first time. That's what I've done. When I switched back to the 1200 cals, I lost three pounds in three days. I hope this helps. BTW it wasn't all water weight either. Even my fat percentage changed.

Thanks! but actually most of my weight loss was at the 1600 cals, because I was losing muscle on 1200.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    thank you so much everyone! great advice and thanks for the motivation and words of encouragement. I will continue doing what I'm doing and working on toning myself even more. My body may change still and the inches will change, but I will have to learn to accept the weight number.

Just takes some time to get the petty things out of your head. I am happy with my loss! thanks again
  • sdmcbride10
    sdmcbride10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Totally understand, I set my goal at 150lbs, but mentally I wanted to reach 147lbs so that I could have lost a total of 100lbs. I was at a plateau for a long time, then started Jilllian Micheals and the Dukan Diet and wow loved the results. I got me to 151 and now I am trying so hard to reach 147lbs. My husband who loves me dearly says don't lose anymore but I am struggling mentally with the fact of not reaching my goal. I would like to know more about the strategy you used with eating the amount of calories to maintain you goal weight, please provide me some info on that. I would really love to be able to live without having to worry so much about gaining it back. I have found that strength training really has worked wonders for busting through the plateau.