Half-marathon training help? :)

Options
Hey guys,

I am new to blogging and I have recently decided to run a half-marathon with my dad in May. I am not a "runner" and have began training by doing cardio at the gym and trying to increase my time running on the treadmill. I am trying to coordinate training for the race with weight loss, so I was wondering if anyone had any training tips along with proper diet tips. Thank you so much everyone! :)

Replies

• SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    google Hal Higdon.
  • edmarymom
    edmarymom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey Cubsfan1990! I am a Cubs fan in St Louis.....you can imagine the crap I get! I just ran my first 1/2 in STL - Rock n Roll. I've been walking full and half marathons for about 13 years. But this was a challenge to switch to running. I just read a book called Run Your Butt Off. Put out by the same co that publishes Runner's World magazine. It's got a great training guide. Start out slow and build slowly so you won't injury yourself. You can do this - you just have to put in the time with the right training. Do you have someone you can run with? I did and it really helped when the runs got longer.
  • cubsfan1990
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice! :) I can imagine the crap you get because I live in Wisconsin and am surrounded by Brewers and Sox fans. I am hoping that Epstein can help to change this organization around!! As a Cubs fan I am always optimistic about the future because it can't get much worse than the past seasons. (I hope) I am running the race with my Dad. He has been a runner for his whole life and has run many marathons before so he definetely has an advantage over me. I will look into that book and take your advice!! Thanks again!! :) Go Cubs Go.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Just remember that the goal is to finish. Do not put too much pressure on yourself by setting a time goal. And remember it is okay to walk. I have done four 1/2s and did run/walk (4 min run / 1 min walk) for all them. My hip joints appreciate the variety.

Starting now is a good time. My first 1/2 I started training in January for a June race. I had never run more than 2 miles at a time.

Training for and completing this event will be life changing for you. You will realize that you can do anything.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Search for half marathon support group. We have a thread. Good luck! PS, just a quick training tip, if you're training on the treadmill set the incline to 1-2% to simulate actual outdoor running. I suggest training outside as much as possible, it's a little different than running on the treadmill. I know it's probably cold in Wisconsin, but you can layer up to keep warm.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    top tip.

Buy running shoes if you havent already
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I used www.marathonrookie.com and the half marathon training plan on there for my first half marathon. I liked it pretty well. For my 2nd and 3rd half marathons I used the training plan in the Aug (or July..can't recall) issue of Runner's World and loved it.

I agree with the poster that said to get fitted for running shoes at a running store if you have not done so.
    Also, the goal for your first half should be to finish!! Good luck and have lots of fun!
  • cubsfan1990
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all of the help, I really appreciate it!! I just bought a pair of running shoes off RunnersWorld.com. I can already notice a change in my running from the shoes alone. It is like they are made for me. It is starting to get cold and I will definetely make a note to increase my incline when I have to go to the gym. Thank again guys, I really appreciate it! :smile:
  • stajken
    Options
    Just read your post and so glad to see someone else who is training for a half. I just ran my first 5K in 20 years a week ago and my boyfriend wants to train for a half to run in April--he is a beginning runner, too, so we're both in the same boat. Anyway, it's good to see others just getting started! Good luck!!
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Starting to train for my first 1/2 march 31st
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I want to do the same!

:D good luck!!

and i'm interested to see what others say!
  • Speedy89
    Options
    Congrats on committing yourself to such a goal. I just ran my first full marathon - only started running in June without any prior experience...you can do it too if you set your mind to it.

Before I started marathon training I did p90x plyometrics every 1-2 days for a couple months to build up my leg muscles...it worked really well for me...when I finally started running, my average mile time for distance runs (5-10 miles) were already in the 8 minute range

Honestly, you should just run as far as you can as often as you can - you will naturally get stronger and you will be ready for the half before you know it...the best way to get good at running is to run - your body will make the necessary adjustments along the way.

The key is ignoring the voice in you that says you should stop - if you can go further, then go further...just pay attention to your joints and ankles. Muscle pain is fine because it's a sign you are getting stronger, but if your joints and/or ankles start to hurt, stop, rest until you feel better, and reexamine your running cadence (stride technique) and equipment (shoes). You should get properly fitted for good running shoes. Go to a dedicated running store and talk to someone there. If they make you run on a treadmill to observe your stride you're in the right sort of place.

Also make sure you stretch every leg muscle, your lower back, and your lower abs before and AFTER your run...also do some ballistic stretches for your arms to avoid cramps in your chest/shoulders.

As an additional note: aerobic running (average heart rate = 60% of max) is good for building your cardio foundation...start with that. Once you get to the point where you no longer get out of breath, no matter how long you run, start running at anaerobic threshold (70-80% of max HR) to build up your leg muscles. Eventually you will get to the point where the only limiting factor to how long you can run is the amount of glycogen (energy) in your muscles...getting "winded' will be a thing of the past.
  • trentonfraley
    Options
    Me too. 1/2 marathon training for April 1 2012. Only ran a four mile this week for the first time. I second the motion for Hal Higdon training program. Be careful not to progress too quickly or you may risk injury and that is a total bummer.
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Good luck with the training! I just did my first half last Sunday. I took up running again in january 2011 after a break of 5 years to have family. I did a few 10kms very quickly then started a 12 week runners world sub 2:15 training plan. I didn't follow religiously but did do all the long runs suggested and about 3/4 runs a week total. My mileage was between 15-25 a week. I did some carbo loading couple of days before the race and felt brilliant on the day so managed a sub 2 hour finish of 1 hr 59 mins. Delighted! Add me if you want some support! It's a scary prospect but SO worth it!
  • trentonfraley
    Options
    13.1!!!
  • cubsfan1990
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice. I really appreciate it!!! :)