Holiday Survival Strategies

Options
RMinVA
RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
It's party season. And we have all heard "eat before you go," stick to protein and veggies, position yourself away from the food table, etc. But since the average American gains weight over the holidays, it doesn't seem like that works very well.

One that I heard a few years ago (and is actually great year round) is to limit party/holiday food to things that you can't get at any other time of the year. So for example, if you have a favorite family dish that you only get at the holidays/family gathering, etc., dig in. But skip things like chips and dip, mashed potatoes, or a generic cookie etc. that you can get at any time.

Does anyone have other suggestions that people might not have heard?

Replies

• shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    i like your idea
  • Jonicha26
    Jonicha26 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's a really good one! Thank you for sharing :) My plan is to be ridiculously good every other day so I can splurge a little bit on the holidays. We'll see how it goes!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Good idea!
  • MamaCat9
    Options
    Good thoughts, I'd like to see what others have to add.

For now I will add... Portion control!
    Sometimes just a bite of something I think I must have satisfies and makes me realize I can live without it and it's calories.

Good luck thru the holidays!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I pick days I can splurge and stick to only those days. At parties I wear something without pockets and take a small purse. That means I have to hold things which means I can't go munch. If I have a drink in one hand and a clutch in the other then I just can't grab food.
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Im going to use a salad plate and choose wisely :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Stick with your exercise plan.
  • RMinVA
    Options
    I pick days I can splurge and stick to only those days. At parties I wear something without pockets and take a small purse. That means I have to hold things which means I can't go munch. If I have a drink in one hand and a clutch in the other then I just can't grab food.

I carry clutches a lot and that definitely helps :-)
  • Abbie_Thompson
    Abbie_Thompson Posts: 45 Member
    Options

What a clever idea! LOL

Also, pick your favorite healthy party recipe and bring it with you. The hostess will appreciate the gesture and you and the other diet conscious guests will have something to snack on. skinnytaste.com has a lot of tasty options and it gives you the cal count and points if your doing jenny
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    All of those suggestions are great! Portion control is key! I have also been told to chew mint gum because it makes foods taste bad. Also if you are chewing gum you can't put other food in your mouth. (I should have remembered this at a Halloween Party I went to last week)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I hate the "eat before you go" suggestion. It bugs me.

Being friends with the veggie tray before dinner and using common sense usually works. I usually take a bigger serving of protein, unless it's ham... then I pass. :sick: Other than that, I mostly go with your idea of going for the foods that you only really get once a year. With desserts I usually limit myself to one thing, but I may save something else for the next day. I always go for a walk before or after holiday meals, just because that's how I was raised. We always at least walked around the block between dinner and dessert.

So far it seems to have worked, since I haven't really gained over the past 3 holiday seasons, but I'm also not really losing... :grumble:
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I know I have a big eating event coming up, say, for example, Thanksgiving dinner, I always try to fit in a workout that morning, an extra run when it might have otherwise been an off day, for example, to earn myself some extra calories. And then it's all about portion control and, like you said, splurging on those special, once-a-year items.

Also, at parties, I try to keep my hands and mouth occupied by sipping on a low cal drink, like a diet coke or a fruit spritzer or something. It makes sure you stay hydrated so you don't confuse thirst with hunger and satisfies the need to mindlessly put something in your mouth since you're watching everyone else do it.
  • RMinVA
    Options
    All of those suggestions are great! Portion control is key! I have also been told to chew mint gum because it makes foods taste bad. Also if you are chewing gum you can't put other food in your mouth. (I should have remembered this at a Halloween Party I went to last week)

Mint gum is a new one....had not heard that.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I've come to realize that sometimes I like the IDEA of food, more than the actual food.

This is yummy... this is decadent,... this is a treat... and I DESERVE A TREAT.

I ask myself:
    Do I really feel like it right NOW? or do I want it just because it's available?
    If it wasn't here would I miss it? Is it really going to make me happier?

Sometimes, YES I really want it, but not always.
    I try and save things for when they are important to me.

If I'm happy being around people I love or new people who are interesting and intriguing. I try to focus on them rather than the food.
  • mrscortes2008
    mrscortes2008 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your idea is an excellent one. In fact, I'm going to employ it myself.
    I don't know how well this would work for others, but for me, being involved in the cooking itself helps me NOT eat as much.
    I make over 300 Christmas cookies in 15 different varieties for cookie baskets, and I notice that, on the days I cook, I'm so full of all the good smells that I usually forget to eat. But that may just be me...does anyone else notice this?
  • mrscortes2008
    mrscortes2008 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Excellent point! I have definitely noticed that if I take the time to actually decide whether I want something or if I'm just eating out of habit, I usually have the opportunity to choose against it. Sometimes, I can't resist, but then, the extra thought makes it all the yummier. A win-win!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I always offer to bring side dishes and/or desserts that I know I can enjoy along with everyone else.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I plan to surround myself with supportive family and friends that will not try to sabotage my journey. My supportive friends usually suggest party places/eating establishments that offer a salad bar. Salad bars are my friend during the holiday. Already people are saying "let's do lunch." I usually say " I am good to go as long as we pick a place with a salad bar." So far everyone has been very supportive in doing so.

If invited to a party I usually say "can I help by bringing a couple plates of snacks" and so far everyone has seemed appreciative and accepted my offer. I make sure it is something special and avoid carrot sticks and celery but more in the line of party food recipes. This allows me to bring friendly food for myself. Stuffed cherry tomatoes are excellent party food as they are colorful and a large quantity in a clear bowl with a big ribbon around the bottom is very festive.

Think outside the box!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I always offer to bring a side/ appetizer, and then make sure it's something I can eat. A raw veggie tray with some exotic dip (eggplant and curry spice is a fave; or fate free sour cream with italian herbs or mexican chili spices are both winners!). And funny thing: when I bring a dish like that, I am NEVER the only person eating it.

Ditto in the drink department. If it's a holiday affair where alcohol will be served, I offer to contribute to the libations. Cherry flavored vodka can be mixed with low-cal hot chocolate for a steamy adult beverage when toddies and egg nog are the norm; and the same cherry vodka mixed with a diet lemon lime or club soda is a light and refreshing cold cocktail. And I've never had a host turn down a contribution to the bar supplies!