Body Fat % calculator

Options
I have just done a BF% thing online, and it came up with four results, ranging from 19% to 29%, based on the same measurements, according to the body fat algorithms developed by the U.S. Navy, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corp and the YMCA. Does anyone know which algorithm is the most accurate?

Replies

• HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Take the average of the four results, toss that out the window.

Worry about eating right and exercising, the rest will come. :happy:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I have just done a BF% thing online, and it came up with four results, ranging from 19% to 29%, based on the same measurements, according to the body fat algorithms developed by the U.S. Navy, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corp and the YMCA. Does anyone know which algorithm is the most accurate?
    None of them. The only way to accurately measure BF is by having a DEXA scan. Here's a portion from a CNN report:

DEXA scans

Upside: Superaccurate. This low-radiation, full-body X-ray, typically used to screen for osteoporosis, computes body composition and the percentage of fat in the body by measuring fat mass, lean mass, and bone mass. "They are the gold standard," says David Freedman, Ph.D., an epidemiologist in the Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia.

Downside: Cost. Unfortunately, if not covered by insurance, a DEXA scan could end up costing you a couple hundred dollars, an expense that isn't necessary, according to Nelson.

Other body fat measurements

Upside: Your wallet won't take such a hit from other more economical approaches. Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA), which can sometimes be found at health clubs and involves attaching electrodes to the hands and feet or standing on electrode pads, sends a small electric signal through the body to compute the composition of body fat and muscle mass. Some physicians and health clubs also use so-called skin-fold tests, which use calipers or pinchers to measure the thickness of folds of skins at different parts of the body.

Downside: These measurements are cheaper, yes, but they are also less reliable than a DEXA scan. The BIA is heavily influenced by hydration levels and thus, can be imprecise; depending on the technician, a skin-fold test can be inaccurate too.

If you want to read the full article it can be found here:
    http://articles.cnn.com/2009-01-02/health/healthmag.measuring.body.fat_1_bmi-estimate-body-muscle-mass-and-body?_s=PM:HEALTH
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You think they would all be the same. Have you done one of those hand held body fat calculators? If you go to a gym see if they have one and if they will check it for you. I used to have a scale that gave body fat too but it died.

Its like that BMI thing. Its really bad since it doesn't work for bone size and structure of body. The best test is how do you feel with how your body looks.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi Fteale, by any chance can you get your body fat percentage checked today on one of those "Have you checked your weight today" scales? They usually have the body fat option. You might have to bring a pen/pencil and paper. The older machine use to print out sheets. I don't think the new one do now.

You will be able to see what a scale gives you and compare it to the sites.

Me personally, I wouldn't use an online body fat calculator. I rather use a body fat scale or Omron Handheld body fat monitor. I have both and they both give me the same body fat reading.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to go and get it done properly. I have small children and am doing a Masters at uni. I don't get time to pee in peace, let alone get out and have a fat scan done.

It is important to me, because I know from past experience when I drop below about 17% BF I stop getting periods, and as far as I am concerned that is not healthy, so I want to know where I am now so I know what I have to play with. I run a fair bit and don't want to make myself ill.
  • AZackery
    Options
    I don't have time to go and get it done properly. I have small children and am doing a Masters at uni. I don't get time to pee in peace, let alone get out and have a fat scan done.

It is important to me, because I know from past experience when I drop below about 17% BF I stop getting periods, and as far as I am concerned that is not healthy, so I want to know where I am now so I know what I have to play with. I run a fair bit and don't want to make myself ill.

You own a scale? If you can afford the Omron Handheld Monitor. Order it from Amazon.
  • fteale
    Options

You own a scale? If you can afford the Omron Handheld Monitor. Order it from Amazon.

I don't own a scale. Nor do I want to. I weigh myself about once every 5 weeks when we go to my parents. I don't want to be tempted to weigh in more than that. I was anorexic in my teens and I am not going back there.
  • AZackery
    Options
    I don't own a scale. Nor do I want to. I weigh myself about once every 5 weeks when we go to my parents. I don't want to be tempted to weigh in more than that. I was anorexic in my teens and I am not going back there.

Maybe you can still get a Omron Body Fat Monitor. For the machine, you have to put your weight in each time. Since you weigh yourself every 5 weeks, it would be good to get your body fat percentage then to.

Do you know the formula to see how much of your scale weight is from fat and how much is from lean body mass?

If not, this is the formula.

Weight x BF% = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat = Lean body mass.

I can help you see what body fat percentage would be good for you and what weight would be a good weight. I would need your weight and body fat percentage to do this. You will need to get your correct body fat percentage.
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the US Navy, Marine Corp, and Army formula are within 1-4% accurate for most people. When I plugged my measurements in, I got a low of 17% for the YMCA equation and a max of 24% for the Marine Corp equation. The Navy equation gave me 21% which matches the water displacement test I did recently (21.3%). Just my findings, accuracy is probably influenced by body shape some.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Accuracy is probably influenced by body shape some.

^ This.

For what it's worth, I did the same tests and Army and Navy measurements were both pretty close to accurate. YMCA one was way off.
  • fteale
    Options
    From what I've read, the US Navy, Marine Corp, and Army formula are within 1-4% accurate for most people. When I plugged my measurements in, I got a low of 17% for the YMCA equation and a max of 24% for the Marine Corp equation. The Navy equation gave me 21% which matches the water displacement test I did recently (21.3%). Just my findings, accuracy is probably influenced by body shape some.

I read that, which is why I don't understand how the Army formula was 50% higher than the Navy and Marine formulas (29% vs 19%)