Depression and weight loss

Options
As an adult I can say that I've suffered from depression since I was 9, on and off therapy since I was 14 ( I'm now 22), SEVERE self esteem issues, My anxiety kicks my butt everyday... And it feels like it's interfering with my weight loss. I don't take anti-depressants because I don't really know if that's a good idea for me. All my issues come from my childhood, teen years, and things that happen to me today. My depression is the main reason Ive been over weight most of my life. Food is comfort. Food is my drug sometimes. Does anyone else suffer from depression, but have found other methods to cope, and lose weight in the process?? I go online to support groups and stuff, And they all tell me the same thing ... I need family support , and support from friends. Sucks to say I don't have either. My family tells me good job every blue moon, thats cool but they dont realize how much of a struggle, and a HUGE life style change needs to happen in order for me to live a healthy life...My boyfriend is my one and only support and I feel like I burn him out..I don't have many friends anymore.. I have one but we rarely talk.. It's just a lonely road to walk by myself especially since I want to lose 100+ lbs. Therapy helps.... Sometimes. It really difficult finding people who relate to how I feel, so that's why I'm posting this. I know there are tons of people on MFP who have gone thru this, sometimes worst than what I've gone thru.. Everyday I try my best to stay positive but its difficult when I'm the negative person that keeps putting myself down. I want to find new methods to keep myself occupied but I have no idea what they are...

Replies

• CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I read this and it bought tears to my eyes because it's everything I've been wanting to say but haven't had the guts to say!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE AWESOME! I'm so happy you mentioned it and happier that you are on MFP. You should find a lot of support on here. I say, along with your food diary, use your BLOG!! Write down your feelings, make a strong group of MFPs to surround your self with and positive energy. I want to see you do well, please post updates, tell us when you have good days and feed off of your MFP support. Good luck on your journey!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what anti depressants you are on because they don't seem like they are working well?! They should be helping your anxiety and should be making you more relaxed to overcome any self esteem issues.

I am on anti depression/ anxiety tablets and they have worked wonders for my confidence and weight loss. I'll be here for you if want some help and support because I know what it's like and I feel like I'm overcoming it.

Xxx
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and medication is often very helpful.

Regular exercise has also been shown to reduce depression/anxiety. I can understand being reluctant to try medication, but why not try making exercise your drug instead of food? You will feel better in many ways.
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been going through the same things. You just have to try your best to find the positive things in your day to get by. Anxiety is my biggest problem, it's even the reason I got pregnant. I was too anxious to go to CVS to refill my prescription. The doctor wrote me a note to see a doctor, but obviously, I was too afraid to even walk into the building. I was so afraid to walk into a gym alone, but I just have to look at my body and how well I'm doing. It motivates me to walk through those doors every time. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional, but from my own experience exercise is the single best treatment I have found for anxiety and depression. As hard as it is to get up, go out and get the heart really pumping, I truly believe this makes such a difference. There is some science-y explanation about chemicals released in the brain when you exercise, but I don't know enough about it to speak on it.

My SO is a psychologist, and he recommends daily exercise to his clients too. And he knows of other therapists that refuse to treat clients if they aren't engaging in some sort of physical activity on a regular basis. It's THAT important.

Good luck to you, I know it's really tough, but you can do it!

K x
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow! You could be me!! I have PTSD anxiety and depression.I to have managed to loose most of my friends through just not bothering to talk to them and it sucks! I have therapy but hte thing I find helps me most is excersise. I can't go outside becasue of the anxiety so I do all me workouts at the gym which I find much better! Give it a go! I wont take meds and this is the only thing that helps me to feel better about myself. I also do yoga as often as possible!!

I hope that helps! Add me if you like!!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie_leanne89, depression sucks. You can beat depression. You have to take control over your life. You have to ignore depression. When it visits you, you have to fight to break free from it. Yes, depression makes a person want to eat. Feed your depression healthy foods. Most of the time, depression crave snacks. Stack up on healthy snacks. Fruits, nuts, mini size popcorn, carrots, celeries, etc. - Just because depression visits, it doesn't mean depression has to control your food choice.

I don't know what kind of exercise you do, but if I can suggest Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pound workouts to you, get some. Try Walmart. Exercise is good for depression. Calming music is also good. Go to the Dollar tree, if you have one in your city and buy some relaxing music.

Get out the house, when depression strikes. Depression wants to be entertained. Don't pay depression's cable bill.

I'm here for you. I'm your cheerleader.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Good for you for having the courage to take those first few terrifying steps into changing your life. I read your post and I can definitely say that I can relate whole heartedly.

Growing up, I had very few friends. I now speak to no one that I knew under the age of 18. My current friends are wonderful, but it took me a while to trust them and to let them in. Now they're my bridesmaids at my wedding next year. Also, my entire family hates me. I'm the black sheep (who knew that going to college and not having a kid when I was 18 was such a terrible thing...)

I totally understand feeling like you're burning out your boyfriend. TRUST ME. I've been with my fiance for 6 years and he's had to sit me down a few times and tell me "Honey, I can't handle this right now."

What I found has really helped has been, strangely, exercise. Finding the motivation to move and do SOMETHING every single day. Going to the gym is my safe haven. Yeah, once in a while you get the jock a**holes who give you 'the look' and the skinny little beans who can't lift more than two pounds, but have ten pounds of makeup caked on to work out in (like REALLY!?) but most of the time, it's just people who want to get healthy. It's a mutual understanding between EVERYONE that it takes a lot of hard work to get to where you want to go. Even the jocks had to start somewhere.

For me, it's not about getting 'skinny' or 'healthy' even, it's about staying sane. When you've had a difficult life, you need an outlet and, unfortunately, there isn't always an option to talk. So go and take it out on those dumbbells! =D I always feel strangely satisfied after curling 30lbs...even if it's just twice, lol.

Stay strong, girl. Keep doing what you're doing and let the gym be your therapy instead of the fatty foods. But please, keep eating. Snack on peppers, peas, carrots, etc. You can eat all freaking day if you want to. But make it good stuff, kay? And drink lots of water!

Hope this helps. :) Good luck!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've been there, through years of severe depression, and while I don't claim to have "all the answers", I've found some tools that certainly help. I'm like you; I don't have the support of family or friends, but wow when you get to the place where you realize that you are STRONG enough to fight it, and keep fighting , and you realize you're winning....wow, there's nothing more empowering in the world.

In addition to a background of trauma, I found that my hormones were imbalanced, which contributed greatly to my depression. I take a natural supplement that balances my hormones, and it has made an extreme difference. I also have had to choose to walk away and completely break ties with anything in my background that contributes to pulling me down. It's important to define your triggers, then make active choices to eliminate, or at least let YOU be in control, of them.

Taking B complex, also B12, is helpful. I like to use nutritional yeast in my food, because it's a natural food source of B12. I also like to use things like flax meal, which is another natural source of B vitamins. Processed sugars contribute to depression, as does alcohol. If I drink, I always feel kinda blue the next day.

Drink plenty of water, and use exercise as the ultimate "high". Making yourself complete a good workout, even if you don't feel like it, will give your spirit a boost and give you a feeling of empowerment. It's important to claim that and let it carry over into the rest of your day.

Another thing I use is L-Tyrosine, (500 mg capsules), which you can pick up super cheap from a health food store. I notice a HUGE difference with it. Basically, it's a nonessintial ammino acid that plays an important role in the production of dopamine and norepinephrine. I take it every morning, but if you start to feel stressed it helps to take it during the day.

Hope that helps. There was a time that I thought I would have to give in to the darkness and depression, but I can honestly say that I am in control of it now, rather than the other way around. I truly never thought I would ever say that. It's a long road but you can get there too!!! xoxo
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    I go there most days :) with the eating for comfort for fun for happiness for sadness for bordem for just about any excuse under the sun lol. It's a sick and twisted game and it's a horrible reality that food is the only way to feel full and content. But its not impossible to break those habbits. I think most of us at some point have had a bout of depression on some level and there are just some of us who battle it most days. For me I think my key to surviving is finding and doing something I love. I love my job and that keeps me occupied. It's a terribly lonely place to be I can empathise with that, no one really understands whats going on inside you except you. And you're right we are all our own worst enemy with negativity. But you can absolutely do this !! and you're not alone there are tons of us out there who feel and experience the challanges of depression and being overweight. Finding something positive to focus on everyday really helps, I try to forget what it is a cannot control or change and focus on the things I can. Celebrate those small successes and forget the failures.

I've been 10 years without medication and I'm still surviving, there was once a time when I really didn't care whether I made it through the day or not. I never though I would make it this far in life to be frank but here I am and although I still struggle there is so much light at the end of that dark tunnel its worth fighting on for.

My philosphy is to make all choices with love and forget what happened yesturday you can't change that but you can focus on right here and right now. I still have to kick myself in the *kitten* sometimes and remember to do that lol.

Nothing is impossible :) if you believe in it.

You so got this girl !
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Well done for posting up and looking for help, I must admit I am a fan of taking the meds in order to get you to a place where you want to be - I have personally tried without, and literally couldn't exercise because of the insomnia, IBS and inconvenient vomiting sessions which accompanied the anxiety! That said, I also have friends who have managed without the meds but I think you've got to be honest with yourself about whether you need that extra help or not - you say you are going to counseling and want to exercise, and that's great.

How is your diet? I recently started taking some high strength fish oils to see if they'd help me through the Winter, and I take extra B vitamins which are supposed to be useful too. Do you do any kind of meditation or yoga? No-one could have been as sceptical as me but really love it now - I use aromatherapy oils too to help me sleep, and when I have the money I've found Reiki and massage helpful too. I know you're US but I quite like this link and the relaxation info will probably be about the same - good luck to you, you're doing great: http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_and_alternative_care/mind_guide_to_relaxation
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional, but from my own experience exercise is the single best treatment I have found for anxiety and depression. As hard as it is to get up, go out and get the heart really pumping, I truly believe this makes such a difference. There is some science-y explanation about chemicals released in the brain when you exercise, but I don't know enough about it to speak on it.

My SO is a psychologist, and he recommends daily exercise to his clients too. And he knows of other therapists that refuse to treat clients if they aren't engaging in some sort of physical activity on a regular basis. It's THAT important.

Good luck to you, I know it's really tough, but you can do it!

K x

This. Totally this. Everyday. Especially when you don't want to.
    and meditation and mindfulness exercises so you can learn to sit it the room with your freak out and resist the urge to resist it. Just see the freak out thoughts emotions and urges, acknowledge them but keep breathing and noticing. It'll be the hardest thing in the world at first, but its totally powerful and takes the power away from the anxiety.
    And www.healthjourneys.com

Therapy and these and you can do it. Meds are good too.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I suffered a severe bout of PPD after my second child was born and went on anti-depressants...then realized that I've probably been depressed throughout my entire life. Getting on and staying on my meds help me find the motivation to go and exercise, which in turn, helps with the depression. I'm on a very small dosage of my meds (the smallest possible to prescribe) and I know that the dosage is small because I'm able to move.

Depression sucks, but getting help, whether it's from talking to someone, meds, exercising, or a combo of those, can make such a difference. Best of luck to you!:heart:
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I'm the same but I found my drug of choice - running. Weight loss, people's support/compliments never solved my depression - it was my own awareness of what I'm capable of that I achieved through running.
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As had depression for about 10 years. Looking back now. I would say it went back into my childhood. Long stories, even freaks my Doc out. Have controlled it so to speak, without medication. Yes i have tied it. And different ones, in that time frame.

Stress brought on my last major hit. Again medications wasnt for me. Im fighting this, with will power. Having lost family and those i consider family along the way. Its been a battle. BUT its working, for me. Now with this battle to understand why i am the way i am, Im finding a way to get my health into order. That will power isnt as strong, but im trying. Thats what matters.

Some things works, for some, some things work for others. Its a learning curve for sure.

Im on the way back, now just to conquer my weight. And nothing will beat me again :)

Hang in.. and ty for sharing
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yes! Will power is the best way to conquer depression. People can't change who you are or make you feel better - you have to do it yourself or you'll just fail. Even if you fail, as long as you keep trying and trying you're building your will power until you finally succeed. I admire people like you :smile:
    As had depression for about 10 years. Looking back now. I would say it went back into my childhood. Long stories, even freaks my Doc out. Have controlled it so to speak, without medication. Yes i have tied it. And different ones, in that time frame.

Stress brought on my last major hit. Again medications wasnt for me. Im fighting this, with will power. Having lost family and those i consider family along the way. Its been a battle. BUT its working, for me. Now with this battle to understand why i am the way i am, Im finding a way to get my health into order. That will power isnt as strong, but im trying. Thats what matters.

Some things works, for some, some things work for others. Its a learning curve for sure.

Im on the way back, now just to conquer my weight. And nothing will beat me again :)

Hang in.. and ty for sharing
  • Leanne_fat2fab
    Leanne_fat2fab Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's response!!! Reading thru all of the posts makes me feel so great! I've learned alot just today reading thru this and it's truly making me want to push myself to get my head right so I can have a happy healthy future!!! I am going to take a piece of what everyone has said and use it in my every day life!!!! You all are awesome :-')
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Depression is exactly why I got fat. I just keep my self busy now, and feel much better:flowerforyou:
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Depression has many causes, for many it's not just one thing. I do believe that positive thinking, exercise, meditation can all be very helpful in treatment and that for some it is enough.

But depression also can be caused by chemical imbalances in the brain and so for others medication is necessary. We don't expect others with chronic illnesses to fight their disease with will power alone. There is no shame in taking medications to balance brain chemistry; it doesn't mean you have failed.

Over the years, I have known several people with chronic depression. Overall, a combination of therapy, etc with medications seem to have the best response. For some, being on antidepressant for a while brought them to a place where they could start initiating other healthy behaviors.