To low carb or to calorie count - that is the question!

Options
I counted calories and watched what I ate, lost 42lbs in 4 1/2 months. I was eating about 1400 calories. I then hit a plateau so I went to see a nutritionist and he said I was consuming too many carbs. He said to up my calories to 1500 and my carbs to 80-100g a day. I've been doing the low carb diet for about 2 weeks now and I haven't lost any weight.

I'm discouraged.. should I go back to calorie counting? Should I continue low carb?

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't really enough time for your body to "catch up". Plateaus are guaranteed in weight loss. Just keep doing the right things and you will lose.
  • ayummymommy01
    ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't really enough time for your body to "catch up". Plateaus are guaranteed in weight loss. Just keep doing the right things and you will lose.

I agree. Just keep at it and religiously track for the next few weeks...carbs are often hidden... but also make sure you are drinking tons of water. Make sure you are getting all the cals you need.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with not worrying about the two weeks. Also, focus on what your measurements tell you. I have not lost any weight for a couple of weeks now, but I lost an INCH off my hips. So something's happening! But I would be totally discouraged if I wasn't logging measurements, I would probably have given up.

Seriously, though, it sounds like you are doing everything you need to be doing! Just stay the course and it will happen for you. :)
  • vsfit03
    Options
    Try doing both.. 6 years ago, I lost 100 lbs from eating a low carb diet and counting calories. My calorie intake was about 1200 cals a day and I cut out all sugar, most dairy, and white carbs.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Also, you said
    I'm discouraged.. should I go back to calorie counting? Should I continue low carb?

You need to calorie count. Tracking your 80-100 carbs still needs to fit into the 1500 calories your nutritionist recommended. You still have to keep your calories at that fixed level. 80-100 carbs is a reasonable amount of carbs. I wouldn't really consider that low-carb. It just keeps you away from sugar, excessive bread, overconsumption of fruit, and too much processed food. The goal in lower carbs is to get you to eat more vegetables and protein, along with sufficient fat, therefore increasing your nutritional profile and keeping your insulin levels steadier.

:grumble: can't spell
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track, just keep counting calories and limiting your carbs! I usually eat around 100 carbs, but I get my protein up to 130 of protein. make sure those carbs are coming from good carbs (brown rice, fruit, potatoes, legumes) not starchy white processed crap! watch your sodium and drink water.

You will get it, just keep on doing what you are doing!!
  • Ichbinceiling
    Options
    You need to calorie count. Tracking your 80-100 carbs still needs to fit into the 1500 calories your nutritionist recommended. You still have to keep your calories at that fixed level. 80-100 carbs is a reasonable amount of carbs. I wouldn't really consider that low-carb. It just keeps you away from sugar, excessive bread, overconsumption of fruit, and too much processed food. The goal in lower carbs is to get you to eat more vegetables and protein, along with sufficient fat, therefore increasing your nutritional profile and keeping your insulin levels steadier.

My feeling of "restriction" on this low carb is an issue too. While I was on my calorie counting, If I wanted a turkey sandwich, I ate it. This feeling of restriction has got me down :(.

I think I will take your advice. He said to limit carbs, but to eat fruits. He wants a banana in my protein shake, but thats 30g of carbs just w/ the fruit!
  • cmriverside
    Options

My feeling of "restriction" on this low carb is an issue too. While I was on my calorie counting, If I wanted a turkey sandwich, I ate it. This feeling of restriction has got me down :(.

I think I will take your advice. He said to limit carbs, but to eat fruits. He wants a banana in my protein shake, but thats 30g of carbs just w/ the fruit!

Just eat your 1500 calories and keep your carbs below 100. You can still have a turkey sandwich. And a banana. Maybe not much else carb wise for the day.

You could also have a half a banana and a half a turkey sandwich. It's about making smart choices. You are on a restricted calorie plan because you are overweight. To lose the weight, you have to do these things. You will learn to live with it. It's not that bad!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you can successfully lose weight without using a carb restriction I would recommend going back to that method. EDIT: Of course, you will need to count calories in either case. (Well, you should anyways).
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight you've lost so far.

You don't mention whether or not you eat your exercise calories yes, I know it's a whole other debate, but might be something to consider.

Before MFP I probably ate about well over 250 gm of carb per day. I joined MFP, counted calories and lost weight. Then plateaued. Read a lot on MFP about restricting carbs, tried it and lost a pound or two and then plateaued again. I found the carb restriction difficult even trying to keep it under 150.

Now I'm back to mostly calorie counting , keeping carbs under 200 which is MFP guideline for me. I feel less restricted and lost weight again. Overall, I think that it is more sustainable for the long run for me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Try doing both.. 6 years ago, I lost 100 lbs from eating a low carb diet and counting calories. My calorie intake was about 1200 cals a day and I cut out all sugar, most dairy, and white carbs.

This:drinker:
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Most days your carbs are still pretty high, so if it's hard to do lower carb may not be right for you. Tracking your calories and switching up your work out routine might be the best bet. I also do both-- counting cals and low carb. It's not for everyone though. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    If you can successfully lose weight without using a carb restriction I would recommend going back to that method. EDIT: Of course, you will need to count calories in either case. (Well, you should anyways).

Hi, I'm here to cut grass with you.

The problem with just cutting calories and not limiting carbs (somewhat - she was prescribed 80-100g daily - not exactly low carb) is that your insulin is spiked and you're hungrier. And you cannot possibly get sufficient nutrients on a 1500 cal a day plan if you don't limit carbs somewhat.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Hi, I'm here to cut grass with you.

The problem with just cutting calories and not limiting carbs (somewhat - she was prescribed 80-100g daily - not exactly low carb) is that your insulin is spiked and you're hungrier. And you cannot possibly get sufficient nutrients on a 1500 cal a day plan if you don't limit carbs somewhat.

Cut away, I welcome a debate.

If you are the type that has urges/cravings due to insulin spikes, then I would agree that trying to monitor insulin might be in your best interest. I do not have this issue and I don't think it's a universal problem.

I would recommend OP set mins for fat/pro and hit those while staying under calories. Let carbs end up where they do. With a low caloric intake they will probably be low by default.

Depending on your intake, carbs may be restricted by default, but of all the macronutrients carbs are the last one I would bother with. Fat and protein intake need sufficiency and carbs can fluctuate based on this. The lower your caloric intake, the lower carbs usually end up going because of PRO/FAT needs, IMO.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Sidesteal - we're on the same team. You said the same thing I did, only differently. :flowerforyou:
  • Ichbinceiling
    Options

You don't mention whether or not you eat your exercise calories yes, I know it's a whole other debate, but might be something to consider.

Before MFP I probably ate about well over 250 gm of carb per day. I joined MFP, counted calories and lost weight. Then plateaued. Read a lot on MFP about restricting carbs, tried it and lost a pound or two and then plateaued again. I found the carb restriction difficult even trying to keep it under 150.

Now I'm back to mostly calorie counting , keeping carbs under 200 which is MFP guideline for me. I feel less restricted and lost weight again. Overall, I think that it is more sustainable for the long run for me.

Well, in speaking with a friend, she thinks a problem of mine might be that I'm not eating back my excercise calories back. This week - my net has been anywhere from 437 - 825. She says that I might be in a "starvation mode" where my body is trying to exist on what I'm eating.

Thank you for everyone's advice. I appreciate.

I think I'm going to focus on calorie counting and that'll work out to my benefit. I'll let you all know what happens!
  • AmythistRae
    Options

It is the type of carbs that matter....I looked at your diary and when you are tracking...I had to go back a couple of days...so much bread...not judging...but if you take out bread and use lettuce as an example....make it a salad....and add fruit...you will fly out of your lack of weight loss...your body is now used to what you are doing....so it is storing again....shake it up....change it....if you are losing weight because you want too and not because you think you have too...it is not a restriction...it is a gift....you have been able to eat anything you want for years..thus the weight..now you need to love your body enough to mend it....don't look at it as giving something up look at it as gaining something....just my two cents...hope things turn around for you..
  • AmythistRae
    Options

It is the type of carbs that matter....I looked at your diary and when you are tracking...I had to go back a couple of days...so much bread...not judging...but if you take out bread and use lettuce as an example....make it a salad....and add fruit...you will fly out of your lack of weight loss...your body is now used to what you are doing....so it is storing again....shake it up....change it....if you are losing weight because you want too and not because you think you have too...it is not a restriction...it is a gift....you have been able to eat anything you want for years..thus the weight..now you need to love your body enough to mend it....don't look at it as giving something up look at it as gaining something....just my two cents...hope things turn around for you..
  • cmriverside
    Options

Well, in speaking with a friend, she thinks a problem of mine might be that I'm not eating back my excercise calories back. This week - my net has been anywhere from 437 - 825. She says that I might be in a "starvation mode" where my body is trying to exist on what I'm eating.

Thank you for everyone's advice. I appreciate.

I think I'm going to focus on calorie counting and that'll work out to my benefit. I'll let you all know what happens!

Wait. What??? You have to get your calories up!!