C25K on treadmill?

Options
Is it possible to do C25K on a treadmill? It's getting a lot colder out where I live right now, not to mention I don't quite feel comfortable enough yet to run outside.

Replies

• Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    They have a treadmill version
  • keddabee
    Options
    Im also wondering this .. I'm not quite comfortable having everyone see me running outside when I know I'll be struggling but would love to be able to start on a treadmill and then take it outside.
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I just downloaded a podcast off of itunes for free...I use it on a bike, running, skating, everything. same concept right? :)
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I started the C25K outside this summer, but finished it indoors on the treadmill. I run outside now as much as I can, just prefer running outside.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do mine on the treadmill!

Http://www.c25kplaylists.com
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i do it on the treadmill. it's too cold here and i don't wanna look silly going back and forth between walking and jogging. i'm finding that it's much more pleasant on the treadmill! by the way, i just completed W3D3. :smile:
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill! It helps me keep a constant speed so I don't over do it and ruin my training!! It is also way too hilly round here to run outside straight off! If you keep your treadmill at a 1.5% incline then it is similar to running outside!
  • mkavars
    Options
    I've done it twice on the treadmill - literally from "I have to take a nap after I walk for 20 minutes" to running an actual 5K. Slowly. :) Then I did it again when I'd lost all my stamina after a long bout with chronic bronchitis and asthma. It works. I will say that treadmill running (even if you use the inclines and whatnot) is somehow easier than running outside. Maybe because outside you have to set your own pace and keep yourself to it? I don't know. So don't expect to train only on the treadmill before hitting an actual outside 5K.
    As far as outside, good music and a pair of sunglasses help me feel more invisible. Its a lot more interesting to work out when the scenery changes! Plus, if you set an out-and-back course, you don't have the option to quit halfway through like you do in the basement, LOL. You can walk home, but that's still burning calories.
    C25K is a good program! Gateway to 10K is my next goal. Good luck!
  • lotuslion
    Options
    I just started Week 6 of the program, and I've done the whole thing on a treadmill. Nothing says you have to do it outside, and because a treadmill will track distance and time, you can still choose to set your goals for either one (you just may have to convert yards to fractions of a mile.)

Enjoy, it's a great program!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I did mine on the treadmill, loved being able to control the speed.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill! It helps me keep a constant speed so I don't over do it and ruin my training!! It is also way too hilly round here to run outside straight off! If you keep your treadmill at a 1.5% incline then it is similar to running outside!

Agree! I do mine outside for 2 sessions, then 1 either grass or treadmill, but if you do plan to take it outside at some stage I'd keep the incline up as you'll find it a struggle otherwise (it's quite a bit easier without the wind blowing cold in your face!)
  • dewpetals
    dewpetals Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do mine on the treadmill!

Http://www.c25kplaylists.com

Thanks for the link!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I first started on the treadmill, then switched to outside. I don't care who see's me, I hate the treadmill. It hurts my shins :/
  • mn518
    mn518 Posts: 18
    Options

Thanks for the link! I've been wanting to start it but wasn't sure where to start.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible and even preferable to some, I started on the treadmill as it has less impact so is not as harsh on the joints. I still do 2/3 of my 5 weekly runs on it.
  • silverstar33
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm excited to start.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I didnt even know there was a treadmill version. I started it when amazon gave away c25kpro free a few weeks ago. Like some people said, it may be different outside but my goal isnt to run a 5k. It's about stepping my game up from walking to the next level. 9 months ago I was sedentary and 100 pounds heavier, so when I found myself running on the treadmill it was quite satisfying. I would definitely say go for it.