RebootYourLife

Options
Has anyone watched the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? I did last night and I am inspired to try the juice/smoothie challenge. Now this isnt your typical juice before you tell me about nutritional value...

Has anyone done it successfully? Let me know....

Heres a blog about it

http://destiny4dallas.blogspot.com/2011/10/pushing-myself-rebootyourlife.html

(not selling anything...just sharing my thoughts about actually trying this thing....)

Replies

• Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    NOPE! ALSO I'VE NEVER SEEN A SEARCH FUNCTION IN FORUMS EITHER!
  • MsMorningDew
    MsMorningDew Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand what you are saying but thanks....
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    I think they're implying that you should've searched the forums because there's a ton of posts about that documentary and juicing. One was yesterday that got a lot of heat.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the Joe lost a LOT of muscle in addition to the fat. No thanks, although I do juice frequently and did a 24 hour juice fast.

Scott
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    I think they're implying that you should've searched the forums because there's a ton of posts about that documentary and juicing. One was yesterday that got a lot of heat.
    Seems a bit harsh.
  • BrendaSwetland
    BrendaSwetland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband did it for 15 days and lost 20 lbs. He felt great when he did it.
  • MsMorningDew
    MsMorningDew Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    O thank you...
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    NOPE! ALSO I'VE NEVER SEEN A SEARCH FUNCTION IN FORUMS EITHER!
    Yeah because nearly every post started on the forums isn't one that has been repeated before. You'd have to basically paste that remark on every thread on MFP.

As for the OP, I saw the documentary, but I don't think juicing is a very healthy way to go about things. It sacrifices nutrition that I wouldn't be willing to give up, even this version of it. Good luck though if you decide to do it.
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I did it, and I saw an immediate improvement to my health over 15 days of a juice fast. I was strict and made sure I got the rainbow of fruit and veggies in, every single day. I spent about 13-15 dollars a day on food which is LESS than I did for food before. The juice combinations are not always great and there are some bad ones out there that will mke you want to vomit. You will need a juice extractor which removes the pulp, do not use a blender.

Buy a juice recipe but stick to this one daily to make sure you get the green micronutrients you need. You will not become nuttrient deficient:

3 Bunches of kale
    1 Cucmber
    2 Stalks of celery
    2 Green crisp apples (granny smith)
    1/2 a fresh small lemon with the skin on
    about an inch long piece of ginger

Thouroughly wash all the veggies and fruit before extracting. Leave the lemon peel on for sweeter flavor in the juice. You will get about 2 cups of juice out of this about 150 calories worth from this recipe.

Heres a nother good one:

6-8 10-inch long carrots washed with the peel
    1 inch ginger root
    1/2 lemon with peel
    1 small sweet potato washed with the skin on.
    2 green apples.

This one is closer to 200 calories due to the higher sugar content of the ingredients.

A couple things: the juices are not like dole juice you buy at the grocery store. They have foam and they seperate. The nutrients in them break down quickly so drink within the first few minutes. Juice when ever you are hungry and drink lots of water in between. Dont worry about drinking too much juice and gaining weight. You would have to drink 3500 over your BMR calorie intake (which is probably 2300 calories or so) before you gained a pound from all this juice. That would be 5800 calories of juice in a day. So even assuming you drank 200 calories of juice in each settngs you would need to drink 12 2-cup glasses of juice a day to reach the break even mark and not move or exercise in any way that day. Then you would need to drink an additional 18 2-cup juices to gain a pound of mass from excessive juice cocsumption. I dont think anyone could do that much.

You spend alot of time cleaning veggies and fruit, then cleaning the juicer. So juice whenever your hungry and dont worry about it. You will loose weight from fat, and I dont think I lost any more muscle than I would from dieting (you loose muscle as soon as you restrict calories in every single 'diet' plan)

Also try putting the grocery market plastic bags you brought your veggies home in in the pulp catcher for your juicer. SOme people save the pulp to add to their food later (In the freezer) I just used it too feed the deer in my backyard who have grown fat for the winter and are beautiful to watch.

Day1-2 you will only notice you are a little tired.
    Day 3-4 you will feel worn down and almost like you have the flu without a temp. Dont quit this is normal and warn people you will be grumpy. This is the detox phase.
    Day 5 you will star to feel good a little
    Day 7 You will hit what I call "all things are happy zen phase' You are no longer hungry and your bowels have mostly emptied out. You will have to remind yourself to juice at least 5-6 times a day.
    Day 8-10 you will get bored with your old recipes, add hot peppers or strong flavored veggies to keep your interest up. I got a book and experimented with lots of combos.
    Day 10 and beyond you enter a kind of super Zen phase where you have kind of a euphoric sense, I had it. I felt super happy and could have gone in this phase for a considerable time like Joe, except I had intentionally planned for 15 days only; so I stopped. I will be doing a reboot for 8 days this winter after the holidays. Probably mid January.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    i do green smoothies and raw...it is amazing....look forward to seeing the movie too
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes, but had a hard time justifying tossing out all that produce pulp and could only use so much in baking. Do not purchase the juicer they show in the documentary. I did and I'm not happy with it. I'd recommend the slower, quieter, auger-style juicer that squishes the juice out instead of shredding and spinning the pulp. Way too much wastage of vegetables like kale and very wet pulp most of the time that still has juice in it.

On the up side, I LOVE the juice very much and it makes me feel great. I only purchase organic veggies and fruits (if you don't, please at least follow the Dirty Dozen list that recommends the top 12 to buy organic to avoid chemical residue). I try to do several juices a week, but could not maintain the juice fast after I figured out how much groceries it was really going to take to do it.

I love the video and think you can achieve similar results doing some juicing and a lot of eating of those vegetables and fruits. Have you watched the documentary Forks Over Knives and PLANEAT? Watch those too and see what you think.

Laura