Posture

Options
So I'm sitting here at my desk working (yes, on a weekend, but the Packer game is on so I can hear it lol), and it occurred to me: I have terrible posture when I sit! It is much more comfortable to sit with my shoulders rounded, you know, like a C curve. Once in awhile I remember to make myself sit up straight, but mostly I think I'm not sitting right.

Does anyone have any easy ways to change your seated posture so that you are sitting the proper way? Do core exercises take care of this problem or do you still have to mentally think about it?

Replies

• kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My dad bought this device at the state fair a few years back called the "notta chair" for this specific reason! I don't think he ever actually uses it, lol.
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my friend uses this special kind of shirt thing and it makes u sit up straight
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    you can look up to 10 pounds lighter when you have good posture so that helps me to remember :)
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Try and sort it out or you will end up with a "dowagers hump"
  • DzyIzy
    DzyIzy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i am a PT, Posture really depends on a lot of things. Certainly a strong core helps, but also your upperback/shoulder muscles are extremely important. And sometimes stretching is as crucial as strengthening. But even strong muscles can relax so training yourself to think about it also important. One of my professors used to give his patients a lot of sticky dots to put around their home. Everytime they saw one it was supposed to remind them to sit up straight.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you sit all the way back in your chair instead of towards the front of the chair, it will help your shoulders to naturally stay up instead of pull forward. Mostly it is just getting in the habit of sitting up straight.

There are also exercises and stretches that help with the forward pull (as in tight pectoral muscles (chest muscles) especially if your work requires you to be in a forward position as in typing/computer work etc.)

I usually have my clients execute internal and external rotator cuff exercises as well as some lateral shoulder raises and posterior flies etc.

Hope some of this helps.

Hugs,
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Try and sort it out or you will end up with a "dowagers hump"

This is usually a sign of osteoporosis....which is a much bigger issue than just posture.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I think I will put a sticky note in front of me that I'll see while I'm working. I'll just have to move it around to keep noticing it. :)