10 K

Options
AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
I am signing up for a 10K that will be june 13th! I exercise 7 days a week and run right now about 4 of those. Anyone have a good 10K training plan?

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I am signing up for a 10K that will be june 13th! I exercise 7 days a week and run right now about 4 of those. Anyone have a good 10K training plan?
  • lilmonita
    lilmonita Posts: 31
    Options
    Go to www.runnersworld.com

On the homepage (you'll just have to scroll down a little bit), you'll see a box with a bunch of pull-downs called "Smart Coach."

Use that to tell it how many days/wk. you want to train, what day you want your "long run" to be, etc.

Hope that helps!
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    I just finished my first 10k today! Congratulations on signing up for one! Training programs like runner's world work great, but I found that doing interval training on the road and on the treadmill worked best for me. When I started I could already do some running, but here's what I did:

30 minutes on the treadmill:

3 minutes walk (warm-up)
    1 minute run + 2 minute walk (repeat 2 times)
    1 minute walk
    2 minute run + 2 minute walk (repeat 3 times)
    2 minute run + 1 minute walk (repeat 3 times)

This may not add up to 30 minutes exactly, but you get the idea. As I went on I increased how much I was running until I was running the whole 30 minutes, which took about 2 weeks or so. I would also run on the road or track for about a mile straight.

Hope this helps, make sure you are doing weight training, it will pay off A LOT so your legs won't tire out halfway through. Good luck!