Running faster....

Options
Ok so I ran 4 miles today and was pissed because on Thu/Fri last week I ran 5 miles easily.... then I looked at my time and my average mile pace dropped by a minute! I don't know what to do now.... I wasn't trying to run fasterbut I know its the reason why I couldn't do 5 miles..... should I slow down and try for distance. Or should I keep running at the new pace and slowly try to increase mileage?

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    What is your running goal?
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    26.2 miles
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    Honestly my friend, the best thing for you to do is to switch it up and do different things on different days...some days to an easy 2-3 mile run...others do a longer 5-6mile...other days add in some strides and forget about the distance all together and just run by the clock...you need to keep your body guessing...do not just run one pace and one distance. Build not only your cardiovascular muscles, but your fast twitch ones as well. Switch it up, and you will see an improvement on not only distance but speed as well! That is my advice!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    As a runner you have to realize that not every run is going to be the same. You're going to have those good runs and bad runs. There will be faster runs, there will be slower runs. I'd like to meet a runner who has never experienced this!
    Anyway, you can work on increasing speed by doing interval training/fartleks.

Keep up the great work.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    How long have you been running? maybe you should do a walk/jog routine to build up your running endurance. That's what I am doing.
  • saffir27
    saffir27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I typical do one day a week that is a speed workout. However, I drop my pace on the long run day. You will find if you consistently do a sped workout once a week your speed will begin increasing on your long run. My recommendation is to plan one run a week to focus on speed or hills, and one day where you focus on distance. To accomplish your goal of a marathon you will want to work on both just not on the same run.

Good Luck.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you look into a running program. Hal Higdon has a few programs you can find on line for free. From novice to advanced.

In a nut shell, there's room for both strategies with your marathon goal. But for building miles, your long run should be at a slower pace (30-60 sec slower/mile). Then you can use one/two of your short mile days to help build speed with fartlek runs.

Google Hal Higdon and take a look at some of his marathon programs.
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As a runner you have to realize that not every run is going to be the same. You're going to have those good runs and bad runs. There will be faster runs, there will be slower runs. I'd like to meet a runner who has never experienced this!
    Anyway, you can work on increasing speed by doing interval training/fartleks.

Keep up the great work.

^^ exactly that.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! Yeah I guess I should follow a program and vary my runs..... I've been stuck in the mileage-only mindset for so long and I know that's wrong.... I did try a walk run program yesterday and did 10 miles and I feel like if I trained that wpay and mix in some speed runs I can reach 26.2 miles and get an ok time. Thanks again!