Can't find my combination of excercise and food for further

Options
So, I have lost almost 40 pounds with diet and excercise, and I've been stuck at 183 for months!!
I've tried lower carbs...
I've tried lower calories....
High calories....
Low fat....
I've excercised 5 days a week, 3 days a week, aquatic workouts, zumba, and walking...
and I stopped doing weights, just to see if my number would come down

NOTHING!

I'm 5'6, and I don't have a lot of jiggle to speak of, my health numbers are pretty good...
I don't know what to do!!

Any suggestions on changes I can make?

Replies

• HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Step up the exercise! :o) If you don't have a lot of jiggle and your health is good, I'd ask why change anything? But if you are not satisfied, then you'll probably have to increase the intensity of your workouts - go back to weight training and do some more rigorous exercise. JMO
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Step up the exercise! :o) If you don't have a lot of jiggle and your health is good, I'd ask why change anything? But if you are not satisfied, then you'll probably have to increase the intensity of your workouts - go back to weight training and do some more rigorous exercise. JMO

^^^ I agree with this.
  • Kloss914
    Kloss914 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me... been stuck for two months with not a single lb. lost !!! I run, spin, weight train.... I'm a VERY active lifestyle... not a lot of moss growing under my feet. I have upped my cals a bit to have a smaller deficit and have added Jillian and interval training of all sorts..... nothing yet. I will keep you updated. I'm trying NOT to focus on the scale but being 13 lbs. from my original goal makes that difficult. Keep up the good work... eventually it has to come off, right ?
  • ladyjade68
    Options
    I was stuck too. for about a month - had lost 47 pounds and was going for 50. It drove me nuts. I can't explain how I got another 9 off, except that I increased my cardio. If you see the inches go, don't be upset about the pounds. It will happen before you know it. Keep up the hard work!
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's mostly all for vanity, I know it's silly, and that's why I haven't said anything sooner - I mean, I wanted to be healthy and I am.
    Who cares if I'm a 2 or a 12?

I'm just disappointed since my doctor still says I'm over weight.
    I hate charts
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

How large of a deficit do you typically create?
    Do you, or have you, incorporated cheat days?
    Do you eat exercise calories back?

When you mention that you've tried higher calorie, how high did you go?
  • ladybarometer
    Options

^^^ I agree with this.

Yes keep my updated!
    My goal for the year was 50 pounds, so I'll need another 12 before the end of the year...
    I want to try kick boxing, hiking, and a few other new things - more intense things.
    I've been thinking all about sustainability with this diet, but I think I need to alter my thinking a bit. Right now, I need to lose weight, and then I will find my sustainable lifestyle. I've gained the habits, it can't be that difficult - for now, I need to push!
  • ladybarometer
    Options

How large of a deficit do you typically create?
    Do you, or have you, incorporated cheat days?
    Do you eat exercise calories back?

When you mention that you've tried higher calorie, how high did you go?

I don't do cheat days often, but holidays and my birthday.
    I usually try to only eat half my workout calories back to leave room for error.
    My high calorie days were 1500-1700, that was when I was doing a lower carb type diet, with a lot of lean protein which accounted for most of my cals.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I stalled for like a month and a half without realizing it. What I did was upped my *net* to 1600 for a month while exercising 6-7 times a week (ate 1800-2000 a day), and after that month went back down to *net* 1200 while exercising 4-5 times a week and I've lost another 8 pounds since I got back. During my stall I still lost inches, but not weight. Now I'm back to losing pounds again. :-)

If all else fails, you should try going to leangains.com and reading up on that. There are quite a few people who have gone on a stall, implemented IF and started losing again. Here's a thread that discusses many types of intermittent fasting: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/348521-intermittent-fasting-support-group
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    What have you been doing for the last 6 weeks or so in terms of:

Calorie intake (just food intake cals, not net -- how much are you eating)
    p/f/c intake in grams (you can estimate this, I dont expect you to do a bunch of math)

Just asking for more info before commenting further.
  • ladybarometer
    Options
    I stalled for like a month and a half without realizing it. What I did was upped my *net* to 1600 for a month while exercising 6-7 times a week (ate 1800-2000 a day), and after that month went back down to *net* 1200 while exercising 4-5 times a week and I've lost another 8 pounds since I got back. During my stall I still lost inches, but not weight. Now I'm back to losing pounds again. :-)

If all else fails, you should try going to leangains.com and reading up on that. There are quite a few people who have gone on a stall, implemented IF and started losing again. Here's a thread that discusses many types of intermittent fasting: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/348521-intermittent-fasting-support-group

Calories fall around 1300-1500 a day
    I usually do about 65-80 grams of protein
    10-15 grams of fiber
    and 75-100 grams of carbs
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I would recommend upping your intake to 1800-2k for a couple of days and then resume your deficit. EDIT: And resume your weightlifting.
  • ladybarometer
    Options

That makes so much sense, after a while, you're body just gets use to the same things days after day. It makes sense to shock it!
  • ladybarometer
    Options
    I would recommend upping your intake to 1800-2k for a couple of days and then resume your deficit. EDIT: And resume your weightlifting.

Can't hurt!
    I will start this tomorrow!
    It makes perfect sense - I need to put my body on it's toes