Running shoes

Options
Well I promised myself that I'd buy some new running shoes if I kept it up running on a regular basis for an entire year, and I have!

So I'm looking for tips as to what I should buy. I have no idea where to start! I don't care how much or how little I spend because I intend to keep them for a long time. I was interested in maybe Nike plus because I could connect it to my iPhone?

All your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

(extra info: I run about 7km daily just around the neighbourhood so it includes concrete and grass)

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If you have a local running store, I suggest going and getting a professional fitting. They will watch you run and pick a shoe that works with your body and running gait.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You need to go to a running store where they will evaluate your foot and your gait. I finally bought myself decent running shoes a couple weeks ago. Because I pronate quite a bit, I needed stability shoes. Everyone's feet are different. We could give you tips, but without seeing your foot and gait, there's no way we could tell you what you really need...
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    Go to a running shoe store. Get fitted by the staff so they can analyze your gait. Then ask them to recommend something based on whether you need a neutral or supporting shoe. Finally, plan on replacing them after you have run about 400 miles in them.

Mike
  • Kloss914
    Kloss914 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Running store and don't necessarily assume Nike's are best for running. FYI... when at a race, it's Brooks, Asics, etc... that you see most of. I am a Brooks girl myself. I'm a pronator so my footwear choice is crucial to sustained, painfree running !!!! Lace up and RUN !!!!
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I guess I'll have to go to a few more running shoe stores. The ones I've been to so far haven't analysed my gait so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Kloss914
    Kloss914 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Running store and don't necessarily assume Nike's are best for running. FYI... when at a race, it's Brooks, Asics, etc... that you see most of. I am a Brooks girl myself. I'm a pronator so my footwear choice is crucial to sustained, painfree running !!!! Lace up and RUN !!!!
    Oh, and I do have the Nike chip that attaches right to the laces of my shoes and uploads to nike website. Great way to track your mileage and push yourself. They have great training programs also !!!!!!!!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i bought saucony shoes a few years ago and LOVE them, they watched me run and suggested a couple different ones and then i picked what felt best to me. I will never buy anything but saucony now for running, I have a pair of Nike's for everyday wear but i will only run in my saucony's!
  • MelanieLeanne
    Options
    Go to Runnersworld.com & you can type in what type of pronation you have & what type of arch, etc. It will then recommend the shoes that are best for your feet.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I guess I'll have to go to a few more running shoe stores. The ones I've been to so far haven't analysed my gait so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the advice!

You can't go to a place life Foot Locker or some other sporting goods store - you need to find a specialty running store. Having a pro do a gait analysis is the best way to find the right shoe for you. You can expect to spend around $100 for most good running shoes.
  • EzraCCM
    Options
    I had knee pain until I got my gait analyzed by a running store (I went to TriSports)... now I'm pain free!
    Don't forget that they make footpods to attach to your shoe laces to track your pace and mileage...
    Of course, if you get bitten by the running bug you may just have to invest in a fancy GPS-enabled watch to track all that next!

Oh, and don't forget to replace your running shoes regularly as they wear!
    Good luck!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I run in Vibram Bikila LS...but, am probably in the minority on that one! :)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I do have the Nike chip that attaches right to the laces of my shoes and uploads to nike website. Great way to track your mileage and push yourself. They have great training programs also !!!!!!!!

If you don't end up getting the Nike+, a Garmin heart rate monitor with foot pod has this same feature.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If you have a local running store, I suggest going and getting a professional fitting. They will watch you run and pick a shoe that works with your body and running gait.

^^This! I used to swear by Nike's and then I got fitted for some Brooks and I will never run in another pair of Nike's unless I'm being chased!!!
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I did a little research on the Brooks site, and due to the knowledge that I pronate, when I wear out the pair I'm using now (spring?) I'll probably get some Brooks.