Am I destined to never be a runner?

Options
So, I have a question. Lets take a look into the past when I was in very good shape, excellent actually. When I was in high school, I was on a competitive cheerleading team that was the best in the nation. It was tough, believe it or not... we trained like crazy. I also did other sports and always excelled at most things athletic. I was strong and had big strong gymnast thighs, muscular arms, and a six pack. I ALWAYS wanted to be a runner and would go running and even joined the high school track team. While I was good at short distance running, and in clearly amazing shape... I could NEVER run long distances. I tried and tried to build up endurance but it seemed like it was impossible. Anyways, I got out of shape (although I looked very much in shape, my heart and lungs said otherwise) during my early twenties due to bad habits and heavy smoking. Then after getting clean and then getting pregnant... I was fat and out of shape. I am working my way back into shape now, doing mostly things like 30 day shred and walk/jogging. I would love to train to run but is it possible that some people just aren't meant to be runners or, with proper training and hard work, can anyone eventually do it?

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can go faster but everyone can go LONGER.
    I started not being able to get to the end of my street last year. I'm up to 14 miles at an AWESOME 8:30 min/mile pace.
    You can 100% do it.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Look into the Couch to 5 K program for running. It builds up your endurance a bit at a time over the course of 9 wks. I have 1 more run to go before I graduate - and I know I wouldn't have been able to do it without it (run 5km nonstop now). Great, great program.

Good luck!
    Add me if you would like!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If I can do it anyone can. I'm struggling but I'm getting though it. I'm slow (14 minute mile pace) but I'm slowly adding more distance.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    It seems you've never been in shape to run long distances - not that you CAN'T. You were a smoker when you were younger, then you had your baby. Now that you're no longer smoking and post-delivery - this is when you start to "become" that runner. Every day just go 30 seconds longer, by the end of the week - that's adding a few minutes. Like the other gal said - she couldn't make it to the end of her street - and now.... 14 MILES! Geez - that's still unbelievable to me! How awesome it will be when YOU post that.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You certainly can. You just need to get to the "do" part. :)
  • otherwyse
    otherwyse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe not everyone is destined to be a runner. And, for many of the runners I know ... their knees, hips, ankles, feet, etc ... are old before their time. I believe, unless you're running from something, walking or walking/jogging is a better option for many people. But, you'll have to decide for yourself, of course. Good luck.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    :) If I can do it anyone can do it.... true story.

Want inspiration? Check out the documentary Spirit of the Marathon -- huge variety of runners.

Or is you want awe/terror -- check out Running On The Sun about the Badwater Ultramarathon. People running 135 miles, in the desert, up a mountain, with prosthetic limbs.

Go easy on yourself, running is tough! But man oh man, soooo worth it!!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I am destined to run.

I walk.. A LOT... and if I have to I'll jog slightly to get across an intersection for a car but..

I'm actually quite athletic.. I was a lifeguard at one time.. I still swim, walk (4 miles a day most days) and do aerobics and such.. but everytime I've ever "run" it feels as if my knees are going to pop off and dance a jig..

so yea I can walk like nobodies business but unless someone is chasing me.. I do not run for the most part..

I've seen some people wear out their joints (ankles and knees in particular) through running.. so I am an avid exerciser but very cautious toward running.

Not sure if this helps, but that's my opinion for what it's worth.. :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I was never an athlete. Never did anything physical growing up. I wasn't heavy, but flabby and no stamina at all. Until I was 38 I'd never even considered running a mile. I started the couch to 5k and finished! Not only that, I finished my first half marathon at age 39. It's possible!!!!

Don't give up, but don't go too fast too quickly, you're bound to crash. Nice and easy. Slowly work up and you'll get there!!!!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Yes, you SO can do it. I hated running in high school. I was skinny and athletic but hated running and was a little lazy too :ohwell:
    I started running after my first son was born (well, he was 2). I stopped and started again. My second son is 2 now and I'm running 3 miles without stopping. Unfortunately, my knees won't allow me to do it more that once or twice a week but I still do it. I never thought that I would be able to do it but I can!!! Just start slow and work your way up. It's amazing how quickly your endurance builds up.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    :) If I can do it anyone can do it.... true story.

Want inspiration? Check out the documentary Spirit of the Marathon -- huge variety of runners.

Or is you want awe/terror -- check out Running On The Sun about the Badwater Ultramarathon. People running 135 miles, in the desert, up a mountain, with prosthetic limbs.

Go easy on yourself, running is tough! But man oh man, soooo worth it!!

Spirit of the Marathon was a great documentary.

If you're pressed for time, check out "My 120 pound journey" on youtube. Ben Davis weighed in at 260 before he just started running. He's now on the cover of this month's Runner's World

:)
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would enjoy running or would actually ever want to run but little by little my husband and I built up our endurance and now we run every Saturday and Sunday...weather permitting. I was not athletic by any means. I did fine in gym class and did aerobics while in college. We love taking long walks around the neighborhood then one day decided that we would try to jog a little...WHEW!!! Let me tell you...to jog one minute almost killed us!!! It was then we decided we would "train" to run longer distances. After about 2 months of "training"...and only on the weekends, we signed up for our first 5k (3.1 miles). We finished together at 33 minutes and only stopped once for a few minutes. It gave us such a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction!! We are by no means "runners" but we do enjoy a nice jog. Alot of people don't care for running and choose to cycle, swim, skate, etc. I think if you find an exercise you enjoy...then do it!!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are some great stories. I will look into C25K more. I have heard about it with great success stories, so maybe I'll give it a try. I guess in my head I feel like if I couldn't distance run when I was in the best shape of my life... I feel hopeless to try and do it again after years of poisoning my body with smoking. I guess I should not feel hopeless... and hey, if it doesn't work out... I will still keep on exercising one way or another. :)
  • SeaShell33
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. Although we were 2nd in the nation in cheerleading :smile: I was an amazing athlete and gymnast and all that, but never could run. Now in my thirties, I gave it a try again and guess what...I can do 7 miles now! I think you just have to push through the hard days and build your endurance...it happens. Good luck, if I can do it...anyone can, :happy:
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I started running to lose weight when I started P90X. My 1st mile I completed was like 14+ minute mile. 2 1/2 years later after Completing 5 Rounds of P90X, 2 Rounds on Insanity, 1 round of Insanity the Asylum, Turbo Fire, Rev abs, BootCamp 360 and having run over 900 miles my fastest mile is 6:21 and I can maintain 8 m/m for 9+ miles. I never had any desire to be a runner let alone a fast runner.
    So, if I can do it you can too.

Just stick with it. I helped a guy at BootCamp learn to run. He had only been able to run 1 mile without stopping. He did 8 with me last month. I asked him why he would stop...are you legs tired? No. Is your HR to high? NO Are you out of energy? NOOO...why are you stopping then? He replied...I guess it's all I thought I could do. Stop thinking and run I said. If you run 2 miles you can do 4. If you run 6 you can do 12. If you run til you really can't you'll suprise yourself.
  • bigfatbitchface
    Options
    I was a soccer player all my life. Played through high school and college, and then adulthood happened and life gets inthe way and you gain weight. I probably havent run in 10 years but started the couch to 5k program last week. The first time I did it I didnt think I could make it the 60 seconds you are supposed to run. But then I just told myself it was 60 seconds and anyone can run for 60 seconds. Trust me, it sucked, but I pushed through that want (not need) to quit. Before I knew it I was done. It is hard at first but after a week of doing it I am ready to move to week 2 and really excited about challenging myself further. You can definitely do it. Pushing through is the hard part but you just have to put it out of your mind and get it done. Goodluck!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Do you actually WANT to run?

It's odd to me that everyone is so crazy about it. It's great for you, sure, but it's also really hard on your body. I happen to love running and am good at it but I prefer biking for regular exercise.

I guess I ask if you actually WANT to because it seems like a lot of people dislike/do not excel at running and feel like a fitness failure if they skip it. Running isn't a requirement for fitness. :)
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am a swimmer by shape and mentality (and the fact I was swimming before I could walk). Tried running off and on during my life, and didn't like it. So, I have considered myself a non-runner since I was 13.

Then I started TEAM Weight Loss this past spring with Lifetime Fitness where I discovered I could short periods of 1-3 minutes at 5mph. This encouraged me to the next step.

I made myself and my husband do a couple of 5ks, figuring we could at least walk it, but then challenging myself to run more than walk. I found out I can run longer if I shorten my natural stride and slow down a bit. I can now actually run about 1.6 miles in 20 minutes, allowing myself a little walking. I am trying to do this at least every Saturday, if not both Saturday and Sunday, after a half mile warm up walk with my dog.

There were two things that really have helped me a lot. I have made myself a good playlist for running. One where the tempo of the songs closely matches my running speed. The music helps take my mind off what my feet are doing. So what if I'm running and singing?

Second, getting a pair of shoes that are comfortable and help prevent the foot pain I get makes me actually not fear running. I also take Cosamin ASU (glucosamine/chondroitin) to prevent my joints from taking too great a beating. Fish oil can also help lubricate the joints.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, find a program (C25K or similar) and just do it!
    Make sure you have good shoes and a good bra and don't start out too fast. In my opinion, that's why running seems so hard, people try to go out too fast.

Like you, I've always wanted to run, but was sure that I never could or would. In less than year I've gone from nearly collapsing trying to run for 3 mins to finishing a 12k race and now I'm training for a half marathon - in fact I ran 7 miles before breakfast today :smile:
    People who know me well are amazed at me running, but honesty not as amazed as I am myself.
    So, if you want to do bit, just do it!!

Having said that, if you aren't really motivated to run and don't specially want to do it, there are lots of other fun ways to burn calories - the key is to find something that works for you.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I CAN run, but I don't like it, and my hips pop after the first few miles. Why do something that I don't enjoy and hurts just to burn some calories?

Find something that you like. I LOVE spinning and dancing. Having fun working out barely feels like a workout!