How to strengthen hips??

Options
Went back to physio after stuffing both knees (again) from doing day ONE of c25k. Also saw my doc who was shocked how easily I had injured myself given he knows I am fairly fit and in decent shape.

Physio says I have hyperextension on the left leg which possibly contributes to the tendon damage (ligaments are fine, off for xray soon to be sure). Also I have a mild scoliosis and weaker left hip, although do not get any hip pain.

He thinks if I strengthen up the hip particularly on the left it may help prevent the knee pain I am getting from running.

Has anyone done this with good results, or what are some good hip strengthening exercises?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The thing I find strange in this is that your physio just said 'go and strengthen your hips' but didn't tell you how or give you any excercises... WTF are you paying him (or her) for? :/

I'd recommend a trip back to ask for a tailored program, your physio should no better than anyone else what will and wont work for you personally.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Iyengar yoga should help. That style focuses very carefully on precision and being specific. A trained Iyengar yoga teacher will work with you to strengthen and balance your knees hips and ankles. In the SF Bay Area there is a teach who has scoliosis and that's what prompted her to study. She now specializes in teaching folks who have scoliosis. Good luck.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    He has given me one exercise for now but I wanted to hear from others who have successfully overcome knee problems by working on hip strength.
  • mary020378
    Options
    i would go to another dr. and get another opinion. also check to see with your health insurance to see if they cover for physical therapy they can help you with hip exercises.
  • keekee1804
    keekee1804 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hula Hooping will help strengthen your hip (and abs, waist etc....) If thats something you'd be interested in I would just be sure to clear it with your dr. first!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working on strengthening my hips, too. I have acquired pigeon toe, basically because my weight has caused my hips to turn in, so now that I've lost a bunch of weight, I'm working on strengthening the hips to get them back to where they should be, and thus fixing my pigeon toe problem.

2 exercises my personal trainer told me to do are squats and lunges - squats especially for the hips.

I also have a friend who is a physical therapist who told me to do clam shells. I'll try to explain it - you lie down on the ground on one side with your knees bent and ankles and knees together. Put a resistance band around your knees (she told me to use the red one) and lift the upper knee toward the ceiling (as if your leg is the clam shell opening). Do this 10 times on each side and eventually work your way up to 3 sets of 10 every other day.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Pilates
  • chickielou
    Options
    I have issues with my hips, I often havent been able to ride stationary bikes cos it hurts my hips. I would love to know how I could strengthen also to avoid possible hip replacement. I havent seen anyone about mine, but things like hip flexors and certain exercises i get pain in my hips so I just avoid them. but obviously avoiding isnt the best way always.