barely eating when i'm alone!

So i've noticed that when i am eating around others, i can eat a "normal" sized portion, even appetizers and dessert, but (like tonight) i can barely eat anything?? i had 3 tacos for lunch today with my boyfriend, had dinner alone tonight and ate just over a 1/2 cup of brown rice/chili. i tried another bite, but felt nauseous just chewing it! what is my problem?? has anyone else noticed this? i figured i would have the opposite problem...

Replies

• ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Do you get depressed when you are alone? That could be the reason why you don't eat by yourself.
  • lindseyb317
    lindseyb317 Posts: 56 Member
    i dont think i do..... i have noticed feeling guilty though
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    i think i am the opposite...eat well around others and will cheat when i am alone.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    You're associating food with guilt, which is a very dangerous thing. That is generally how eating disorders begin. You start to panic at the thought of eating, and feel sick when actually eating. It may not happen when you are around others because you are distracted. Try watching TV while you eat and not thinking about the food. Or try asking yourself why the food is making you feel guilty. I would hate to see you battle an eating disorder; I'm glad you were able to acknowledge it early on.
  • lindseyb317
    hmm.. you bring up a good point. i hope thats not the case! i do eat in front of the tv already.. cant away from big bang theory long enough :) im not sure i know what to do next though..
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Start paying attention to what you are doing when you are alone and ready to eat. I am sure that you know an eating disorder is not a good thing. My youngest daughter suffers from anorexia and I am constantly on her to eat and she is only 15. Please if you have to get help, do it now.
  • lindseyb317
    i just took a few self-assessments online for eating disorders and they all said i was at risk! looks like a trip to the doctors is in order :(
  • catfisch_6
    catfisch_6 Posts: 11 Member
    Hang in there. If it is something you WANT to fix, talking to someone can help a lot. I know...I've been there too. Good luck.
  • So i've noticed that when i am eating around others, i can eat a "normal" sized portion, even appetizers and dessert, but (like tonight) i can barely eat anything?? i had 3 tacos for lunch today with my boyfriend, had dinner alone tonight and ate just over a 1/2 cup of brown rice/chili. i tried another bite, but felt nauseous just chewing it! what is my problem?? has anyone else noticed this? i figured i would have the opposite problem...

Sounds like you are letting your guard down around others feeling more free to enjoy your food and when you are by yourself you are more self conscious of what you are eating.