Hypothyroid

Options
I know there are tons of hypo threads on here, but this one's different.

I am/was on armour. 2x30mg got me through the morning and then i crashed so hard in the afternoon I would literally sleep anywhere. (woke up on the kitchen floor once). So they bumped me to 3x30mg. That was keeping the energy going but not relieving any other symptoms (particularly my weight) and now my BP is through the roof. 141/111! WTF?!

I know this is not a medical board and I need to consult my physician. But I was told to stop taking it immediately. Besides, now that I have I don't feel any different than I did while I was on it--except that my BP is down to normal.

Anybody have anything enlightening to share? Informed opinions perhaps? I'm really confused that I don't feel any different than I was when I was on it. Shouldn't that NOT be the case?

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I loved Armour! But they don't sell it here anymore so I was changed to Synthroid. And I'm actually doing very well on Synthroid. If you need to switch - you might like Synthroid.
  • XiaoRuRu
    Options
    I loved Armour! But they don't sell it here anymore so I was changed to Synthroid. And I'm actually doing very well on Synthroid. If you need to switch - you might like Synthroid.

I heard fabulous things about it and that synthroid was nothing compared to it. But I'm not having any results except for a slight energy boost and a way high blood pressure. I know it's not safe to continue, but I'm just really confused. Shouldn't I feel worse after stopping?
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had hypo since I was 9. Ive taken different levels of synthroid currently 112mg. I've never heard of that medication. If I take a the cheap brand its like I'm taking nothing at all, it just doesn't work with me. I'm not an expert by any means but try a different brand or much higher dose. Good luck.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's an immediate thing when you stop taking it and start to experience symptoms. I was first placed on Synthroid and they could never get my dosage right. They put me on Armour and it immediately was just right. I stayed that way for years. This was during my "fat" years. I was still on Armour when I lost my weight. It was like last year I think that I switched to Synthroid and haven't had any problem with it like I used to. I'd say that if Armour's not doing it for you, try something else.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Sound like you certainly need to visit your doc again. And perhaps get a second opinion. Or a third. I know, useful huh? If you feel the same or better with not taking a medication that is a pretty strong indication that either the med isn't working at all or your body, for what ever reason, is not liking it.

Personally I have very strange reactions to most prescription meds and it can take much trial and error with various options to find what does work for me. I don't so much mind the trial part, but the error can really suck.
  • theys1
    theys1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's odd.... Maybe you have something else going on besides your thyroid. I take Armour Thyroid and I have had no issues at all. You should go to stopthethyroidmadness.com it's is an awesome website about it. Serisously it's good. What I learned about the Armour with the new formulation is that you need to either smash it up or chew it up before you take it.... and alot of people do better taking some in the morning and the rest in the afternoon. I am wondering if you have some other issues besides your thryroid that would be causing high blood pressure. I would definately talk to your doctor though......Good luck.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think there is probably something else going on. I know I've gotten REALLY tired before, but not to the point of passing out on the kitchen floor.

I think it can take a few weeks before you notice changes in dosage (or stopping all together.) I have forgotten a pill here or there and not noticed much of a difference.

It might help to lay off of caffeine and certain types of cold medications that can affect your blood pressure until you can get back to the doctor.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have to split my dose 1/2 morning, 1/2 mid afternoon. It has ade a huge difference.