help!!!!!! weight lifters out there!!!!

Options
heyyyya!!!
so i am currently 77kg and want to get down to about 65-70kg but i dont want to just be skinny i want to be toned!!! i dont want a massive 8pack or anything but i want a low body fat % and i want to be fit and lean!!!!
i have decided to do waaaaay more weights cause all i did was cardio and i wasnt loosing much weight.

ive had a look on the bodybuilding website and found a program called jamie eason livefit so my new program is based on that...

new program looks like this...

monday: chest and triceps + 30min walk/jog
tuesday: back and biceps + 30min walk
wednesday: legs and calves
thursday: shoulder and abs + gym class
friday: rest
saturday: 10km run or 1000step hike (same cals burnt)
sunday: rest

however cause im new to this im sure there is other forumlas etc and wat is best and the best mix of cardio and lifting on wat days and in wat order!
so i would LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEE some help pleeease!!!!

ta xx

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Honestly...eh.

I've never been a fan of isolated muscle group workout days. Personally, unless you WANT larger, more defined and bulkier muscles, your better move is to do one strength training workout every other day, doing a full-body circuit each day. I'm sure a lot of people may argue with me, but given everything have read and experienced on this subject, this is the way to go for weight loss/toning.
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    thanks.. anyone else??
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    for starting out, I also endorse a full body work out focused on compound moves three days a week.

Do your serious cardio training on the non-weight training days.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i think you could use more exclamation marks. :wink:
  • LelitaB
    Options
    I agree about the 3 days of weights, but I have read that fitness models to the body part splits, it depends on your goals... But definitely work the LARGE muscle groups. It helps burn calories and stimulate muscle growth. That said, ANY regular weight training program is going to be fantastic for your metabolism and for muscle toning!

How are you eating? Make sure you get enough protein (which is easy) I think the current recommendations are 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kg of goal weight.

So for you anywhere between 60 -90grams a day... which is easy to get.

I have heard LOTS of diets suggesting higher protein intake, so I would be interested on people's view here?
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    When I went to gym I treated myself to a PT hour to ask questions and get a new routine. He told me to work a full body weight routine 3 to 4 days a weeks and cardio the other days with at least 1 days rest and don't do set muscles on different days unless I wanted muscles like him...I do not :noway:
    Sadly the membership is up but I have a treadmill and weights at home so I'm doing the routine from home :bigsmile:
  • theys1
    theys1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That plan is a good one. I use this website as well. But I do agree with Huffdog, doing a full body weight routine will help you keep your heart rate up as well to burn more calories also,that way you don't have to stop in between to let your muscles rest. I do an upperbody excercise and then go right to a lower body excercise. And I do 2-3 sets of each one and then switch to another but alternating between upper body and lower body. Either drink a protein shake or some sort of recovery drink after you work out to help your muscles repair etc.....
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think targeted workouts on specific days is a waste of time. If you want to get lean and tone, you need to be working every muscle every time. I agree with circuit training. Extremely effective and burns lots of calories. Look into a DVD maybe. I learned a lot of about my body and what exercises work what muscles by doing Jillian Michael work outs. You begin to realize "well I did these kind of exercises yesterday, and now 'this' hurts...." You quickly learn your body.

If you are doing target workouts like you have planned, it will take you 3 times as long to see results. My simple advice: work every muscle every time.

GOOD LUCK!
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses people appreciate it!
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    agreed. total body work out. isolation is for bulking up. make sure to get your cardio, rest and healthy food
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Look up a book called 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women - Lift like a Man, Look like a Goddess'.

It'll give you all the info you need, including outlining routines, food and theory.