Entering recipes into the thing that figures how many calori

Options
LKBruneau
LKBruneau Posts: 4 Member
I'm new to MyFitness Pal and today when I wanted to input a recipe to find out how many calories per serving, I ran into the problem of not being able to put in my amount per ingredient but was restricted by what the computer choices were. For instance, the recipe called for 1/4 c Splenda and my only choice was 1 packet. The next ingredient was cream cheese. The recipe called for 8 oz of cream cheese but my only 2 choices were either 28 g or 1 gram. Am I doing something wrong? How do I easily input a recipe to get the correct information.
Frustrated Linda B

Replies

• Cathleenr
    Options
    I'm new to MyFitness Pal and today when I wanted to input a recipe to find out how many calories per serving, I ran into the problem of not being able to put in my amount per ingredient but was restricted by what the computer choices were. For instance, the recipe called for 1/4 c Splenda and my only choice was 1 packet. The next ingredient was cream cheese. The recipe called for 8 oz of cream cheese but my only 2 choices were either 28 g or 1 gram. Am I doing something wrong? How do I easily input a recipe to get the correct information.
    Frustrated Linda B

um..maybe try a more generic search term. when i put in "cream cheese" into the search box, i get everything from a bagel with cream cheese to fat free cream chees...tons of choices. as for splenda, you may have to do the conversions yourself...like how many teaspoons are in a cup... (its 48)...heres a handy conversion chart:

http://www.asknumbers.com/CupToTeaspoon.aspx
  • jalford0226
    Options
    Welcome! When entering your ingredents into the recipe part you can change how much by entering in your nutrional info on its own without having to choose from the drop down menu. Hope that helps!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Look for "Splenda for cooking" and always try to find your brand. If you end up with 3 or 4 entries for philly cream cheese but they all are in grams then use a search engine and say 8oz equals how many grams. it will come out right.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is lots of duplication and bad data in the database. There are probably alternate entries for splenda that work by the gram or by volume. For the cream cheese, you could have used the gram weight - 8 oz is about 226.8 grams.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does take a bit of patience to work out the best search terms to find what you want - but if you find an online conversion tool you will be able to work it out - for example 28g is about an oz, so you can add 8 serving of 28g.
    Another useful tip is to look for items that don't have an * in front of them. Unlike the other entries they aren't added by users and typically have lots of serving size options to choose from.