First Time Juicer

Options
I finally completed my first juice drink and want to make sure I'm juicing correctly. I used a recipe for "Green Lemonade" which calls for:

1 Green Apple
3 Handfuls Spinach
6-8 Kale Leaves
½ Cucumber
4 Celery Stalks
½ Lemon

My end product yielded 16 oz worth is juice. Is that correct?

I'm drinking my juice now as I type and already feel good! :) I think I overdid it on the Kale...could've used a bit less. I have other recipes from the Fat Sick Nearly Dead website but am very curious about how much juice I should be getting out of the above and other recipes. Thanks y'all.

Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    That sounds delish! I want a juicer soooo bad!
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Really depends on the juicer. Some seem able to extract more juice than others. I've found that feeling the pulp after I juice is a pretty good indicator of how much moister is left in the produce. I've also found a large difference when using fresher produce.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    That also sounds like it would make a wonderful salad.
  • lizluvs3
    lizluvs3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thinking abt buying one too... Sounds good!
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have a juicer and it's one of the best purchase I've made in a long time. I would suggest that you also by a book about juicing because it give you lots of tasty ideas.
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    I bought a Black and Decker one from WalMart for just under $30. Way more affordable than some of the others. I wish it had a wider spout and mouth but it got the job done. I had to cut up the fruit and veggies into medium chunks to fit them into the mouth. Juicing started slow but as I moved along it got faster and I've prepped my juice breakfast in the morning by pre-cutting my fruits and putting them in the fridge. :)
  • stormchaser3
    stormchaser3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also watched Sick Fat and Nearly Dead. Went and bought a juicer and Juice feasted (fasted) for 21 days. Lost 20 pounds and it really did reboot me. I no longer desire bad food. I was a cheeseburger freak now I prefer Subway. I no longer have the desire for soda pop or high amounts of sugar. I really do feel 20 years younger. I am living proof of what they say in the documentary really is true.

You don't have to have a recipe for the juice, just throw in what ever you want and you can't go wrong.
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    @StormChaser. Thanks for the "you can't go wrong" advice and congrats on your progress. 20 pounds is wonderful. I'm excited to feel the reboot effects. :) What type juicer do you use?
  • stormchaser3
    stormchaser3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use a Jack Lemans juicer which is a centrifuge juicer. 99 bucks at walmart If you really want a good juicer and you really want to get serious and get great nutrition and save money on your juice get a masticating juicer. Then you can juice wheat grass which is a superfood. You get a lot more juice from these type juicers and they say the juice has more nutrition because you don't heat the juice up and kill nuitrents . You can find them on Amazon.com
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    haha at first I thought u were talking about steroids...
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    For now my little Black and Decker is working pretty well. I noticed that it juices fruits a lot better than veggies but for now the $30 juicer is what I can afford. Around new years I plan on upgrading -- either by asking my family for an upgraded juicer for a Christmas gift or buying one myself then.

I've made 2 juice drinks now: Green Lemonade and Apple-Pear juice. I've prepped ingredients for a Mean Green juice tonight. :)
  • metrociity
    Options
    do you add the pulp??
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Congrats on juicing!!! Your recipe sounds delicious. I have a juicer that's over 15 years old "the juiceman" and it still works by some miracle. I typically just throw in mostly carrots and apples, but now I'm interested in the book you mentioned!! Have fun with it!!
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    There is really no wrong way to juice in my opinion. I juice daily myself. To be honest the amount of juice that you get from your fruits and veggies depends on the type of juicer you have. Some yield more. I have a Jack LaLanne juicer and I get almost a cup of juice more than I did from my other juicer I used. I used to have a JuiceMan Juicer.. not to mention its all juice now.. the other one did not separate the pulp nearly as good as this one .. Good for you. Glad that you decided to juice.. it’s a happy world over on this side. I also have a youtube diary.. I sometimes post about things I use.. feel free to subscribe YouTube VBlog Link --http://www.youtube.com/user/MzFreeSpiRited
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    how do you count the calories in your juicing?? i just bought a practically brand new jack lalanne juicer this weekend.
  • keaani34
    keaani34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am also a first time juicer! will be juicing for luinch today, I wanted to do a 5 day juice only diet but I ended up eating the fruits and veggies over the weekend. My question is when juicing do I have to only drink the stuff or can I also eat the fruits and veggies? doe's that count as juicing?
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump,
    must read this later as i also just bought a juicer today and i'm starting a new...
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just got a Philips Hr1861 juicer today, it was €129 in Ireland,
    anyway i just made my first drink, 4 large Carrots, 1 Apple and about an inch of Ginger -
    woow the Ginger was way stronger than i had imagined, the drink was awful but i did drink it

so i'm starting in a few days to do the full Fat Sick and nearly Dead program.

It would be interesting to know anyone else on this, good tips etc. Is there a Fat Sick and Nearly Dead group yet.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    juicing...mine as well drink gatorade all day with multi-vitamins.