Vegan portble protein?

Options
I'm trying to transfer my eating slowly to a vegan/plant based diet, and i'm looking for a good protein source that is portable for my breakfast. I'm a student so it needs to fit in my bag and i don't buy most of the groceries in my house at the moment, so if my junk food eating omni family wont eat it they probably wont buy it, although they do make some exceptions. Also, i eat peanut butter for lunch some days, so i dont really want it for breakfast everyday. Am i totally out of luck? also, ive been eating boiled eggs, but they kill my cholesterol and of course... animal food... any help is appreciated... :)

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ever tried roasted garbanzo beans? You can make them the night before. They have a great crunch to them!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Can you carry a shaker cup? I am a vegan and drink two protein shakes a day because it's an easy way to hit my protein without a lot of effort (then I can eat what I want for the rest of the day which will include more protein.) Trader Joe's vanilla soy protein powder is CHEAP and not bad.

There are also good soy jerky brands (I LOVE Stonewalls Jerquee). Nuts and nut butter are better sources of healthy fat than protein.

You can also roast garbanzo beans and carry them with you. (http://veganlazy.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/crunchy-snack/)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Justin's Nut Butter packets! (justinsnutbutter.com)
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    portable is challenge. You may want to look at Vegan beef Jerkey, it is made by the Turfurkey company. But, the downside, it is very high in sodium. You can get protein from cerials, with almond milk. We have breakfast beans every morning, and sometimes I have to bring them to work to heat up. You may want to check out Go Lean Crunch or recipes that have Quinoia hot cerial. Small container and a spoon, very tasty.

You want to limit your servings of nuts to one a day for weight loss. I found out that from the 30 Day miracle Diabetes cure, they promote controlling and reversing diabetes (don't know your status, but they have great recipes and tips on becoming vegan). Plant based diet and lots of good recipes.
  • little_gothic_girl
    Options
    it sounds like the roasted garbanzo beans are super easy and cheap , that sounds like a winner! i have a cabinate full of spices i could use too... can you roast other kinds of beans? I will have to try the jerky and protein powders when i have a little more cash to buy my own groceries... i hate begin poor.. lol thanks guys!

with the quinoa cereal... would you flavor that with non dairy milk and things you would put in oatmeal?
  • devilblkdress
    Options
    We roast all kinds of beans; kidney, black, navy, etc. Just season them up nice and tasty and then low broil for a while but the garbanzo definitely come out the crunchiest (think almost corn-nutty). I found it to be a great on the go high protein snack for my daughter who is a vegetarian that is a lot less pricey than all the health food snacks she always wants. One of her favorite seasonings to add is parmasean cheese (reduced-fat of course) and lemon pepper. Yum! Also on the pricier side but a vegan protein staple in our house in Unjury "chicken" broth. It is like $20 for a container but has over 20 servings each with 25grams of protein and sooooo tasty we all enjoy it! Very filling to so it keeps a hungry appetite at bay!
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you have a container and a spoon, warm lentil dal is lovely for brekkie - add some potato or squash if you can.
    Or how about a salad of cold quinoa, chick peas and vegetables with a light dressing? I often have that for brekkie in the summer.
    Finally, Trek protein bars are great - depends on where you live if you can get them, they're a UK product.