First time i've tried anything like this!

Options
Hi there, I'm bexkee. Food diary newbie. Thus far I've found the site very easy to use and negotiate. Surprised to find I'm under my daily calorie intake for today at least! I think this is going to a very handy tool for me to keep track of myself. I'm essentially a lazy sort much preferring to sit and get engrossed in a book rather than go power walking of an evening. Looking forward to seeing my weight go down a tad and my fitness and energy levels increase.

Replies

• NZGeekGirl
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I find this site great as well, so easy to use and yes, watching the scales go down is so satisfying!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    good luck! You'll find you will end up being surprised at how much you eat and don't realize it until you log it.. it's a real eye opener..and you'll learn so much about nutrition as you begin to pay attention to labels.
  • sckrlov
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!
  • lisaaaaang
    Options
    I've never really been one to watch what I eat, when I eat or how much of it - that's needs to stop and I need help. I really do have fears of becoming physically unfit, being unhealthy and developing diabetes and have acknowledged that I do have a problem with eating and could honestly say...I am addicted to sugar, refined sugar, candy, carbs, etc. For example, yesterday when I was supposed to go running in the afternoon, which I still did and struggled to do, the morning of, i consumed two large cups of coffee, five slices of cake, a sandwich, six slices of pizza, chips, cookies, some veggies, yogurt parfait, bagel sandwich and barely a sp of water....no bueno. When I eat, I'm always thinking of what I can do to make the food taste better or planning my next snack or meal...help! hopefully i'll make the change i need to be healthier for myself and for others. best wishes and good luck to my fellow fitness pals :]
  • bexkee
    bexkee Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks, I'm quite excited about this easy system of keeping track of myself.
  • Monkeymin
    Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hiya, Welcome. Feel free to add me. I've been on here a while now and have had great support and motivation. I've lost 27lbs and am aiming for another 25lbs by christmas. Good luck on your journey.
  • Scottysue
    Options
    Hi I just joined last week - it's the first time I have tried to diet and I am finding it really helpful to sort out which foods contain more carbs, fat etc. The hardest thing for me to do without is bread especially if I am having soup for lunch! Good Luck
    Sue x
  • ladybuglady15
    ladybuglady15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :D I'm not sure if you've considered this, but don't feel like you'll be losing your fun reading when you make the decision to go walking! My friend suggested books-on-tape (or CDs I suppose nowadays) and now that's all I listen to when I go walking/jogging. :) And it definitely helps pass the time when you're being active. If you have a library card, the library usually has quite a selection.
  • bexkee
    Options
    I had though of doing that actually, I do have an ipod but found I became a bit sick of the same music over again. I happen to have my old Sony walkman from the eighties so I can put a tape in that, if the library still has them that is! : )
    My boss goes power walking every morning and listens to the national business report but I think that would depress me!
  • bexkee
    Options
    last time i went on a weight loss mission I gave up carbs after lunchtime. I found it quite easy, I guess if you're really stuck you could try a Cruskit cracker or similar to give you that satisfying chewing motion to go with your soup?
  • ladybuglady15
    ladybuglady15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh! I put the book MP3s from the CDs in my iTunes and then load them on to my iPod, too! So I think that would definitely work. :D Then once I'm done with it I usually delete the files so it doesn't take up so much memory. Yeah, I don't think I could listen to the news for a long stretch in the morning... :/
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been on here for about a month and it's kept me pretty motivated. I am similar to you... like to read and relatively lazy so increasing my exercise has/is a huge challenge! Anyone who wants encouragement and motivation...add me!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I love MFP! The support is awesome! Add me if you want!