do you guys ever think about the cosmos?

Options
jazzdspazz
jazzdspazz Posts: 137 Member
Hello fellow trekkies
( I actually hate stat trek) do you guys ever stop and think just how insignificant we are, ever watch those universe documentary, and think about the universe and quantum mechanics, how a atom can be at more then one place at a time.how our sun is one in 200 billion suns in the galaxy and that's just one galaxy in 200 billion, how there is a possibility that there is a multiverse and the word UNIverse is a oxymoron, really the vastness of it all. It just swirls my lillies beyond recognition, none of us can truely fathom just how big it is, or how math is so universal, as in the language that can decipher it all, how we havent even discoverd more then 1 percent of our own oceans! Don't even know what's really at the center of the earth, and there is a universe.out there with so many possibilities! Like planets made of diamonds, water collections the size of galaxies. And we are less then a speck, less then a atom, to the universe and its size. Phew had to get that off my.chest I can go forever, but I bet ill get to long didn't read comments, just from this post alone

May the stars guide you
Jazzdspazz

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    A few of my favorite quotes on the matter:

"I find it elevating and exhilarating to discover that we live in a universe which permits the evolution of molecular machines as intricate and subtle as we." Carl Sagan, Astrophysicist & Orator

"Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn't be here if stars hadn't exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren't created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence M. Krauss, Physicist

"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high-mass stars that exploded their chemically-enriched guts into the galaxy enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we're all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That's kinda cool. That makes me smile. And I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It's not that we are better than the universe; we're a part of the universe. We're in the universe and the universe is in us." - Neil deGrasse Tyson, Astrophysicist
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lpyi97HVdU1qango3o1_500.jpg

I think about it all the time. I read your whole post.

So happy to find someone here who shares my enthusiasm for space, the universe, and astrophysics. =]
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow trekkies
    ( I actually hate stat trek) do you guys ever stop and think just how insignificant we are, ever watch those universe documentary, and think about the universe and quantum mechanics, how a atom can be at more then one place at a time.how our sun is one in 200 billion suns in the galaxy and that's just one galaxy in 200 billion, how there is a possibility that there is a multiverse and the word UNIverse is a oxymoron, really the vastness of it all. It just swirls my lillies beyond recognition, none of us can truely fathom just how big it is, or how math is so universal, as in the language that can decipher it all, how we havent even discoverd more then 1 percent of our own oceans! Don't even know what's really at the center of the earth, and there is a universe.out there with so many possibilities! Like planets made of diamonds, water collections the size of galaxies. And we are less then a speck, less then a atom, to the universe and its size. Phew had to get that off my.chest I can go forever, but I bet ill get to long didn't read comments, just from this post alone

May the stars guide you
    Jazzdspazz

Cocaine is a hell of drug! - Rick James

JK Actually I believe we our just at the bottom level of a VAST multi-universal dimension. Pyramids for one..we still dont know how they were built. I also believe that stories we hear arent fiction but exist in other worlds...hmmmm
  • Bankman1989
    Options
    Hello fellow trekkies

May the stars guide you
    Jazzdspazz

Cocine is a hell of drug! - Rick James

JK Actually I believe we our just at the bottom level of a VAST multi-universal dimension. Pyramids for one..we still dont know how they were built. I also believe that stories we hear arent fiction but exist in other worlds...hmmmm
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    One of my side hobbies is doing astronomy outreach in my country ;) Big geek here.

Your topic title reminded me of the series "Cosmos". Sagan was inspirational. I grew up watching him, Neil Tyson and others. :)

The universe, its mysteries and the true nature of things is indeed a fascinating topic. Imagination runs amok when often we think about what's "out there" or simply what are we ourselves.

I've spent nights looking up at the sky wondering if there may be being "up there" (learning the night sky is my favorite avocation in my free time) and wondered if someone may be looking back at us, and thinking the same :)
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow trekkies

May the stars guide you
    Jazzdspazz

I've thought of this too. Someone get me into the dimension where Unicorns exist! LOL
  • jazzdspazz
    Options
    Yes! Sometimes I talk to my friends about it all, but they just can't really care about ir because they can think outside their own cubicle, and dont even get me started on the pyramids! I read how giza is like 13000 ancient even when ancient Egyptians where around, and have no writtings on the inside. What so ever, and Egyptians themselves.don't. Know how built it, pretty crazy evidence for a person who belives in advances ancient cultures also that show ancient aliens! <3 it
  • jazzdspazz
    Options
    Hello fellow trekkies

May the stars guide you
    Jazzdspazz

If the multiverse is as its described, everything we think of.happens somewhere
  • Bankman1989
    Options
    Hello fellow trekkies

May the stars guide you
    Jazzdspazz

If the multiverse is as its described, everything we think of.happens somewhere

Very true. Although i am Christian i STILL believe that there are so many worlds out there. Sometimes i believe we are ll here to accomplish things in other lifetimes. I know that there are other universes to go to after we die. Its hard to believe God ends all this on Earth.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    What fascinated me is how little we actually know as apposed to how much we think we know. It's all just theory. The big bang is a theory, religion is a theory. We have no actual facts to go on.
  • Fatchickslim
    Fatchickslim Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My samoyed was called Cosmo, she died earlier this year, I think about her alot.
  • jazzdspazz
    Options
    The real truth of it all, is most likely beyond our comprehension
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I love standing outside at night and breathing in deeply, and thinking who in history may have breathed the same air. I live on an acreage so the stars are bright out here. And sometimes I thank my boys who wake me up in the early morning, because then i can watch the sun rise through the trees, and see the whole sky change color. I think watching the skies is the most awe inspiring thing.
  • WifeNMama
    Options
    Back to the subject... Has anyone here see the northern lights really light up? It's breathtaking. All the different colors dancing like they know they have an audience.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Let's keep it on topic and remember to follow forum rules - keep religion out of the discussion, please.

13) Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss any of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • WifeNMama
    Options
    A few of my favorite quotes on the matter:

"Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn't be here if stars hadn't exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren't created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence M. Krauss, Physicist

You forgot to delete this quote that mentions Jesus. Equal opportunity and all that. :flowerforyou:
  • AshjMusik
    AshjMusik Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    *sigh*