I want to join the Army.

Options
I am liking all the tools I can use to help me reach my goals here. I am new so this is really cool. Like the title says, I want to join the army but I am 3% overweight. I am suppose to weigh 197 but weigh 225. I have a ways to go. So does anyone have any advice to give on how to be able to 1) loose weight (fat) quickly and efficiently and 2) to be able to train my body to run 2 miles in 17.55 minutes?

Replies

• tealesbro
    Options
    I am liking all the tools I can use to help me reach my goals here. I am new so this is really cool. Like the title says, I want to join the army but I am 3% overweight. I am suppose to weigh 197 but weigh 225. I have a ways to go. So does anyone have any advice to give on how to be able to 1) loose weight (fat) quickly and efficiently and 2) to be able to train my body to run 2 miles in 17.55 minutes?
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Here is a website that might help you out. You could probably cut it almost in half.

Welcome :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--9397-2-1X5-3,00.html
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Not to be a smarty pants but START RUNNING SOLDIER!! :laugh:

My son started with walking the 2 miles to running in 15 minutes. he did it one step at a tiime. Give your body the nutrition it needs. An hour before you train eat protien and complex carb. Like banana and peanut butter. I had egg whites and whole grain bread and apples this morning. I kicked BUTT at the gym.

Nutrition and working your way up to the 2 miles........you can DO this!!:drinker:
  • TheMeatman
    Options
    As an Ex-Soldier I can't stress this enough...Get Running Now! Our PT goal used to be 2 miles in 14 mins, and when I first joined up I was not ready for it. Push-ups, Sit-ups, and the 2 mile run used to be the big 3, and I would focus on those. As for losing the weight, should you show up to boot overweight, they used to put you on a controlled diet. My Battle Buddy lost 25lbs in boot camp. I on the other hand barely made the minimum weight (no longer an issue :bigsmile: .) Good luck, and be safe.
    ~Dave~
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Someone told me about the couch to 5k and they say it really works to get you running. Good luck.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, and thank you so much for the service you hope to sign up for...it takes such a special person to serve in the military (I am a former Army wife, so I know the kinds of sacrifices our military members make). Best wishes on joining the military and on reaching your fitness goals!
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    good luck to you!!!
  • nwfamilygal
    nwfamilygal Posts: 635
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou: Good luck to you on your weight loss goals. Thank you for wanting to serve our Country. :bigsmile:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I talked to this guy at church last week (he's in the army just got back from Iraq) who said they had relaxed some of the standards so you may can go ahead and sign up and they'll whip you into shape. I think the minimum age now is 37 not sure about he weight though.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou: