seriously need answers

Options
I need help from a professional or who has been in this situation. I have been on this ride since 10/16..i basically went from a sedentary life to working out 4x a week, burning 400-500 plus calories each w/o, i have dropped my calorie intake to 1600 (which at 5"7", 210 pounds I figured, through much research to be the right amount for me) i drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, i usually don't eat my x-rcise calories, i do at times eat more protein than allotted, but it is still under the calorie intake allowed.....i am 51 years old, i am finally at this time in my life wanting to get serious, and at this point there have been no results, i even measured myself and nothing lost! when I w/o i sweat like crazy, i have a hrm that keeps track of calories burned, etc,etc,etc.....what is going on? there should have been SOME kind of progress.... i am serious...WHAT IS GOING ON!?

Replies

• StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. Try upping your calories for a week and see if that helps any.
  • WeighAhead
    WeighAhead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not a professional, but i am seeing a nutritionist regularly. Just a suggestion, but maybe try changing your macronutrient percentages to see if that helps. I also agree with the above poster maybe you need some more calories. Good luck, plateus are tough!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Would you consider making your food diet public? If so, we could take a look at what you're eating. That might give us some insight.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Eat all your exercise calories and you will lose!!! MFP has it all figured out for you, just do it. You're trying to make it harder than it is.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    If you are really working out 500 calorie burns 4 times a week and only eating 1600 calories a day you are under eating dearie.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    How long have you been going at it? I didn't see any loss for getting on for a month. It takes time. Don't weigh every day. And don't listen to anyone saying up your calories. 1600 is plenty! I am maintaining on less than that.
  • I only see results when I eat a portion of my exercise calories. I have been at MFP for over a year, but just recently started getting serious again. I work out M-F for roughly an hour and watch my calories and I have already lost 10 pounds. The above poster said it, she is MAINTAINING. She is no longer trying to lose so that is completely different then you who is trying to lose. Like I said I work out M-F and say I burn 800 calories - that gives me a total of roughly 2400 calories to consume for the day. I always leave about 400 in my "bank" because I don't work out weekends. It is working for me. Try eating a bit more and you should see some results. good luck! I know how horribly frustrating this is.

AND I should add.....at a recent Dr. appt for my son the doc and I were talking about weight loss and he said it is twice as hard for us "older ones" to lose weight.
  • ckgdrums
    Options
    I would suggest cutting the wheat out of your diet for 2 weeks, and see if that helps. I mean NO WHEAT, or gluten of any kind. My wife and I have been doing the low-carb way of eating for just over a year, and it has worked for us...plus, we don't have to kill ourselves at the gym to lose the weight. I have lost 75 lbs, and she has lost 94 lbs in a year.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    two things,

1) you've been at it for 3 weeks, not long enough to be frustrated, give it time.

2) without knowing your personal situation, I can't comment on whether YOU are eating enough, but in a generic case, someone with your statistics, eating 1600 calories and exercising for about 500 calories, that's far to low. Now, there are a lot of other factors involved with this, but that's the generic situation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How long have you been going at it? I didn't see any loss for getting on for a month. It takes time. Don't weigh every day. And don't listen to anyone saying up your calories. 1600 is plenty! I am maintaining on less than that.

1600 is not a lot actually... i maintain on 1500, i also maintain on 1600, 1700 and 1800 NET.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Yes have you checked out what your maintenance calorie intake should be. Mine is 1600 calories so I wouldn't lose on that. I have to go down to 12-1300 to lose.
    Bearing in mind the difference is only 300 calories, I found that in the weekends particularly I picked a lot (a mouthful of my daughter's plate here and there, a lick of her ice cream there) and seriously that was stopping me from lose weight. in the last week not a morsel has passed my mouth and the weight is dropping off.
    I suggest you may be eating a bit more than you realise,esp if you have just started. REally examine what you are doing because if what you are doing is working you should be losing.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's been less than a month. How much are you realistically expecting to lose in that time period? In addition to what everyone is saying, sometimes it takes some time for your body to catch up to your new program.

Also how are you recording your food? Are you weighing everything? How accurate are the calorie estimates? People are notoriously bad at estimating calories.
  • fteale
    Options

1600 is not a lot actually... i maintain on 1500, i also maintain on 1600, 1700 and 1800 NET.

I am maintaining on 1500. I gained weight in the first place on 1700 a day average.

Anyway, pointing out my POV is irrelevant because I am maintaining is missing the basic point that I am maintaining BECAUSE I have successfully lost all the weight I wanted to, so I'm not a total rookie.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Anyway, pointing out my POV is irrelevant because I am maintaining is missing the basic point that I am maintaining BECAUSE I have successfully lost all the weight I wanted to, so I'm not a total rookie.

Your pov isn't irrelavent, but thinking that a set caloric limit that worked for you will work for everyone else is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about things. There are formulas to calculate BMR that take into account (at least to some extent) body type. The idea that 1600 is plenty or not enough or whatever is just as misguided as the idea that 1200 calories is somehow the perfect number that should work for everyone, or the idea that all carbs are evil and must be avoided at all costs, or the idea that every person regardless of physical condition should be eating a certain amount of carbs.

All people are different, do your research. Try a moderate diet plan that at least attempts to account for the fact that people have different body types as a starting point, and see if it works. Be careful to record caloric intake and expenditure as accurately as is feasible. If the plan doesn't work, reassess how your body is handling the change, then try either slightly more or slightly less (or slightly different macro splits, or slightly more exercise, or whatever) based on that assessment. Give each attempt adequate time to effect measurable change. If those attempts all fail then consult a doctor/nutritionist.
  • fteale
    Options

Your pov isn't irrelavent, but thinking that a set caloric limit that worked for you will work for everyone else is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about things. There are formulas to calculate BMR that take into account (at least to some extent) body type. The idea that 1600 is plenty or not enough or whatever is just as misguided as the idea that 1200 calories is somehow the perfect number that should work for everyone, or the idea that all carbs are evil and must be avoided at all costs, or the idea that every person regardless of physical condition should be eating a certain amount of carbs.

All people are different, do your research. Try a moderate diet plan that at least attempts to account for the fact that people have different body types as a starting point, and see if it works. Be careful to record caloric intake and expenditure as accurately as is feasible. If the plan doesn't work, reassess how your body is handling the change, then try either slightly more or slightly less (or slightly different macro splits, or slightly more exercise, or whatever) based on that assessment. Give each attempt adequate time to effect measurable change. If those attempts all fail then consult a doctor/nutritionist.

Exactly. The OP has already DONE her research and come up with 1600 cals. So people telling her she isn't eating enough is pretty unhelpful. I am not advocating starving yourself, but 1600 cals isn't starving. None of us got here from eating to little.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Exactly. The OP has already DONE her research and come up with 1600 cals. SO people telling her she isn't sting enough is pretty unhelpful. I am not advocating starving yourself, but 1600 cals isn't starving. None of us got here from eating to little.

That is a fair point. I'll leave it at that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Exactly. The OP has already DONE her research and come up with 1600 cals. So people telling her she isn't eating enough is pretty unhelpful. I am not advocating starving yourself, but 1600 cals isn't starving. None of us got here from eating to little.

But isnt the point that 1600 cals with all the exercise ISNT working for the OP (probably because it isnt enough calories), hence her post....
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I suggest you do some more research for "women of a certain age." In my research I found that we are more insulin resistant...meaning we don't metabolize carbohydrates as efficiently as we used to. I completely changed what I ate...I eat more protein, very little bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. Generally none (although I had a little pasta and bread last night). Lots of fruits and veggies. I eat often, snack a lot. And my weight loss has been slow (but I didn't have a lot to lose in the first place) but I have lost when "portion control" wasn't working.

Eat more "clean" and keep it up. This is a lifestyle change so while results are encouraging, get the mindset that you are in it for the long haul.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    But isnt the point that 1600 cals with all the exercise ISNT working for the OP (probably because it isnt enough calories), hence her post....

Ok, I had a minute at work, I've been working through this guy's articles. There are many other experts on the subject, but this is what I'm reading through now so you're stuck with my biased opinion. There's a lot of information, so if you want a quick read...look elsewhere.

In response to the OPs stall:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adjusting-the-diet.html

Read:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html

Read:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/lean-mass-or-total-weight-to-set-calories.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

Then Read:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

And before you jump straight to a 50% deficit:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Take your goal weight, give either a reasonable time period to achieve that goal or a reasonable rate of loss, and determine a reasonable calorie deficit based on that.
    Setup an adequate macro split for your new diet
    Start a cardio and strength routine that supplements your diet to help you meet your goals (hint: heavy weights >>>> pink 2 pounders or shake weights and other gimmicks)
    Stay hydrated
    Be willing to reassess your plan as time progresses based on your results and the effects, good and bad, on your body

Read through the other very useful articles on BodyCompisition.com and check out this thread for other places to look for information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383854-fact-vs-fiction

My main point is that it's not as simple as 'this calorie number will work for you' or 'eat more' or 'eat less' (well it is as simple as eat less, but to lose fat the right way and maintain it while also maintaining general health there's a bit more to it than strictly reducing calories at the expense of all else). Educate yourself as much as possible (I've still got a long way to go myself, but I'm working on it) and make decisions based on science and logic.
  • Otrepsi
    Otrepsi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1600 calories, then burning off 400-500, you're only netting 1100-1200 calories. That is simply not enough to fuel your body, so your body is trying to hang on to every bit it can keep. Couple this with the fact that you've switched your lifestyle so abruptly and it's not surprising nothing has happened.

I would start eating back at least half your exercise calories and give it another 3-4 weeks to see how your body adjusts. The first couple weeks I was on here, my loss was very slow, even though I was set for 2 lbs a week (1200 net calories a day). I did some research and decided I could bump up my calories about 200 and still be under maintainence, and as soon as I did that, I started actually losing the 2 lbs a week.

Basically you need to fuel your weight loss in order for it to happen.