underactive thyroid

Options
I am new to the website. Does anyone have any help losing weight when you have an underactive thyroid.
I really need to shed some weight.
walk a lot but cannot seem to shift it at all.

Replies

• carolinafina
    carolinafina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If your thyroid is really under active then you need to see a doctor. Mine was under active 20 years ago and after being tested I was put on thyroid medication. This is something you will have to take for the rest of your life once you start. It will help to lose some weight but diet and excerise will still be your best bet for losing weight.
    But it is always best to be seen by a doctor because it could be something else.
  • duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have an underactive thyroid and I have lost weight - but it is difficult.
    Prior to having the problem I didn't really need to diet at all. A couple of times in my life I guess I wanted to shed a few pounds for a bikini holiday so I cut down for a little while and it just dropped off. Also, I always had a good appetite and ate good size portions - though I have always eaten healthily.
    the problm is your metabolism slows right down with this disorder, so you may even be eating less than you used to but still put on weight. I now exercise regularly ( running, skiing and cross country skiing), but cannot loose weight without following a low cal diet. I joined MFP at the beginning of October and have lost 9lbs so far - it is a great site, but I have to admit to eating below my calorie limit andnot eating back my exercise calories to achieve this. I am not advocating doing this at all as it is perhaps not good for you, but having counted calories before I know it is the only way I can loose weight. The more exercise you can do the better as it speeds up the metabolism - and I know it is difficult when you get tired all the time. Also, certain foods boost the metabolism - try googling it for a list.
    Best wishes and good luck!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    After you take your thyroid pills it will no longer be underactive. Do you take pills for it? Sometimes it takes a while to get the right dose, but after that you should be in the range.
  • blueslady155
    Options
    Yes I have been taking tablets for must be around ten years.
    But it as gone all over the place and the doctors has got to get the correct dose again.
    But find it so hard to lose weight
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I was dignosed a few months ago - I am on Synthroid 10mcg per day. I'm scheduled in a couple weeks to have another blood test to see if my dose is correct.

I haven't found any difference with my weight loss from before meds to after, I started my lifestyle change before I knew I had an underactive thyroid - I actually just went in for a physical and that's when they found it. The only symptom I had/have is I'm always cold!!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    1st of all, get to a library and read as much as you can on the subject.

Secondly, everyone is different, so what works for one, may or may not work for you.

Personally, I struggle with it from time to time, and my most helpful tip is to not be afraid to ask for a blood test. My doctor only wants to check mine every year or so, but in the winter, I feel like crap and ask him to recheck it. Almost every time, I need my dosage adjusted.

When you are on the right dosage, you should feel a lot better and be able to work out more and eat less. Even when you feel like crap, try to move around for a few minutes just to get your blood flowing. You might not lose weight for awhile, but you'll want to build up as much muscle as you can so when you do find the right dosage, you'll already be in the habit of taking care of yourself, and it will be so much easier.

Good luck!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've had an underactive thyroid for years - take 112mcg Levothyroxine a day but that's about to be increased as I've just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I've been able to lose weight just tracking calories on MFP - kinda ashamed of my lack of exercise but it is what it is. What I've found is that the weight just doesn't come off as quickly as I'd like. If you're patient, you'll lose the weight. Look at it more like a life journey toward becoming the healthiest you can be, and don't pay so much attention to the scales. Don't entirely deprive yourself - just stay under or close to the calories MFP says you should shoot for and you will get there. Patience is the key.