Men vs Women in weight loss OMG

Options
It has taken me 10 weeks to lose 17 lbs. My husband started MFP 12 days ago and has dropped 11 lbs!!!!!! OMG
It reminds me of that tv commercial -- you know the one LOL.

It's hard to be supportive when he comes out all excited because he dropped another lb when all I want to say is, "oh knock it off". ROFL

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it. We all lose at different speeds. I think I've lost about 1lb this year!!! :laugh:
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    My husband decided last week to drop some weight. Asked for advice. I gave it. Comes out last night and dropped 2.5lbs this week. Never in my entire time on here have I ever lost over 1 lb at a time. ^*^*^(%$$%........lol
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I wish my husband would use MFP! He doesn't need to lose, but he could certainly stand to be more healthy. I even bet he could gain a little (which would be a good thing for him) if he stayed on or above his own maintenance calories for a week or two. :)
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Plus they get to eat a gazillion more calories while they are loosing it. My brother in law was fussing last night about not loosing as fast as he would like to. I asked him how many calories he eats and it was somewhere above 2000 per day (not sure of the exact number because when he said it my vission clouded over and my ears starting ringing from the internakl scream I let out). When I told him I only get 1200 per day he said oh wow and slinked away. I think he realized he was in real danger at that moment of having something thrown at him... I hate my hormones!
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started a weight loss program about 3 months ago, I have dropped 46 and she is down 28. She gets mad when I have huge weight loss weeks. As long as we get to our goal weight.

A couple of weeks ago I had a 5.5 lb weight loss and I didn't do anything different.
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh I have experienced the same thing with my husband. But our bodies are very different. Depending on how overweight the person is they will lose weight a lot faster. When we work out together doing the same routine his calories burn is almost double mine.

I wouldn't worry about it but it does seem unfair :wink:
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yup! I hear you! Hubs did the same thing to me... comes up and says he put on 7 kgs during winter, proceeds to start dieting and exercising... 3 weeks later he's already shed 4 kgs. I moaned about how I keep gaining and losing the same weight and he just turns right around and says it's because I need to be consistent!

Well yeah, it's true, lol, but can't he just be supportive? :)
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling I may be in that situation pretty soon :grumble: I don't know why but it does seem that men can think about losing weight and the lbs just fly off like nothing. All I can say is celebrate with him and keep working hard. slow and steady wins the race.
  • pshearer7777
    pshearer7777 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand your aggravation with the disparity. However, you still have a very impressive weight loss so far... keep it up!!!
  • LMLeu
    LMLeu Posts: 29
    Options
    My husband thinks he's the fitness king. Most every suggestion he's given me to help me "eat healthier" has made me gain weight. Don't feel too bad, I've been at this for about 10 weeks and I haven't even lost 10 lbs yet.

There are a lot of factors that go into weight loss. Support, exercise and lifestyle changes. I know that I may not have lost a bunch of weight, but I can tell that the inches are coming off. ALL of my clothes fit differently, and some are starting to get too big!

Keep at it. Hubby may just have more to lose!!:tongue:
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Men are probably more blessed in that department, but to be honest females are the hotter gender...
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I have lost 100 pounds! But now to maintain!
    You must support each other in the quest, men do loose faster than women, we have more
    fat pockets.
    It doesn't matter loosing 1/2 a pound or 2 it is still a loss!
    Stay your course! It does work
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    In just reading this I can relate. When married 9 years ago my husband was just under 200 lbs and 6'3. He ate like a horse! And ate whatever he wanted. He said he hadn't really gained weight since high school (hate him). I however married him a chubby size 16/18 and growing. I exercised all the time. After having my two kids I ballooned to a size 28! However my husband in that time only gained about 15 lbs and thats because his job load changed and so he didn't have to work as hard. But I swear he just cuts a little of his intake of food and bam he is skinny again! I however have been through two lap band surgeries and recently breast reduction and guess what? I am still fat! Well I have about 30-40 lbs to still lose. He tells me losing weight is easy and doesn't understand why he doesn't gain. Today he has some belly fat (he is 10 years older than me and time is not being nice to him) and he keeps saying he needs to get his six pack back as he gobbles a cake down. Whatever right? My doctor told me that woman take longer to lose than men because our bodies are built to have babies and the body even though we are not trying to have babies holds on and preserves fats just in case. She said its like a savings account and the withdraws are limited. Also hormones have something to do with it too. Whatever the reason its not fair but I am there with you too. He keeps eating while I watch ever morsel. But I know I will eventually finish. And BTW 17 lbs is alot! You should be so proud. Congrats!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    right?!?!?!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Men are probably more blessed in that department, but to be honest females are the hotter gender...

^ Always droppin' knowledge bombs on MFP.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My hubs has been doing mfp for a few months (although we joined at the same time), I lost about 30 pounds in 3 months and he definitely hasn't. I just found my equation and he's fight to find his. That being said, his clothes are starting to fall off of him, so I'll take that kind of bonus weight (where the inches fall off his belly and hips and finds itself in his muscles). I fight to keep my weight up, he's been plateaued at 204 - 206 for 3 weeks.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

haha you know me well
  • xtinajoc
    xtinajoc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    men always lose it faster, just the facts of life but thats what makes us women stronger!!!!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

haha you know me well

New pic is looking good!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Well, given the average male is taller, heavier and has a higher percentage of lean mass than the average female, it is the way it should be.

If you're bigger you need more calories, can burn more calories and can hold more water weight.