My biggets pet peeve

Options
this has to be my biggest pet peeve...

To lose weight is simple your body needs to use more calories then you eat.< its that simple

if it were that simple i would not be here, and i know several others would not either.

hell the last two weeks (before getting sick , unrelated) i ate at or around 1200 and gained around 5 pounds

and no i do not sit around all day, i am on my feet, wrestling large dogs all day.

Replies

• Anweena
    Anweena Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i hear ya. it's not just simple math.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    An active person should probably be eating more than 1,200 calories a day. Also, any person should not be gaining weight on 1,200 calories a day. If you are concerned, see your doctor.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    this has to be my biggest pet peeve...
    To lose weight is simple your body needs to use more calories then you eat.< its that simple
    if it were that simple i would not be here, and i know several others would not either.

Ok, while I agree that '...is simple' is a bit difficult to swallow, but TECHNICALLY, those people saying 'more output than input' are kind of right. Now, before you prep the stake for burning, please understand that although the essence of that is true, the reality is that everyone's bodies react differently to different things. And since I have yet to meet any human beings that have a 'Calories Burned' readout imbedded in their person compliments of their body, everything we do; all those numbers we come up, with are really kind of guesses. Granted, some are better/more accurate/etc than others, but we don't always really know what the heck is going on with your physiology.

Heck, look at the land of nutrition! Eggs...good or bad? Water...is more always better or is that gallon a day too much? Corn Syrup...evil death concoction or just another sweetener? For all of the amazing technology, when it comes to ourselves...we are kind of in the dark.

Breathe deeply and understand some people are trying to help. Granted, some are just A@!hats.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    An active person should probably be eating more than 1,200 calories a day. Also, any person should not be gaining weight on 1,200 calories a day. If you are concerned, see your doctor.

agreed, you should not gain weight eating under maintenance. Unless it is water weight due to TOM or a day or so of higher sodium intake.

Are you weighing and measuring all of your food, if not, you may be eating a lot more than you think. If you do weigh your food and are gaining on such a low caloric intake I would make an appointment with your doctor. You may also want to have your thyroid checked.
  • jocraw66
    Options

Agreed! I eat at least 1800 calories a day most days. There are on occasion when I eat less and even at times when I eat more but I didn't lose weight eating the minimum calories. I only started losing when I upped them
  • Losewhey8
    Losewhey8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Drink water! I swear everytime I go back dieting and nothing works, increasing my water intake by 8 tall glasses a day kicks in my metabolism also when I get faster cardio (30 min a day) it also changes my body's metabolism to burn calories. HOpe this helps
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Or you are under estimating what you eat

Or you shot your metabolisme to hell from years of under eating

Or you have a medical problem
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    What ??? Calories in- calories out doesn't work?? you mean Iv'e been lies to??? OK now I'm pi**ed!

I hate when people say that. It is rediculous. Anyone who has grown a plant knows better that that.

"You get out what you put in. Its that simple".

If you were to plant grass in poor soil and just give it water, do you think it would grow well? The answer is DUH! Sure it will grow, it may die but it will definitely NOT do well. Add some fertilizerin the correct amounts and VOILA! you get healthy turf. Not a difficult concept.

Our bodies are the same in that respect; we need good nutrition at the correct amounts to be healthy, lose weight, or maintain both health and weight. "It's that simple".
  • rachaelmae79
    rachaelmae79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you eat too few calories in a day your body can go into starvation mode and actually hang on to body fat. Its a delicate balance. And its NOT easy. :(
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    yeah , i am thinking about going to the doctor (time is an issue my work schedule went from set days to screwy)
    had thyroid check about six months ago, a few months after my weight loss hit this brick wall. (had lost 50 pounds in about 4 months last year).

if i try to overestimate my portions on purpose , but if i miss, then that would still not put me that much over and i am starting from a somewhat low calorie base.

water not an issue i tend to drink 100 plus oz a day.

did i miss anything?
  • FitnessDivaK
    Options
    I understand your frustration.

Make sure your "lifestyle" in MFP is set to active. I guarantee the site will tell you to eat more calories. What could be happening if your lifestyle is set too low for your daily activity is you're burning way more calories than you're accounting for, which could put you at too much of a deficit, causing your body to go into starvation mode (Your body could be holding on to calories/fat rather than burning them). I know it seems weird, but sometimes eating more actually helps you lose.

This may or may not be the case for you, but from reading your post it's the first thing that comes to mind. If it's not the case, you should definitely see a doctor because there could be another underlying cause.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Or you are under estimating what you eat

Or you shot your metabolisme to hell from years of under eating

Or you have a medical problem

you are correct on you middles statement , been going u and down since i was 16 , actually hit my 'goal' weight at that time, hit my senior year of hgh school, discovered 'partying' and that was shot to hell
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    What ??? Calories in- calories out doesn't work?? you mean Iv'e been lies to??? OK now I'm pi**ed!

I hate when people say that. It is rediculous. Anyone who has grown a plant knows better that that.

"You get out what you put in. Its that simple".

If you were to plant grass in poor soil and just give it water, do you think it would grow well? The answer is DUH! Sure it will grow, it may die but it will definitely NOT do well. Add some fertilizerin the correct amounts and VOILA! you get healthy turf. Not a difficult concept.

Our bodies are the same in that respect; we need good nutrition at the correct amounts to be healthy, lose weight, or maintain both health and weight. "It's that simple".

as far as your plant anology you have never met my mother :laugh:
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    i am going to my gyn today , just for a shot , will only see a tech, but they have a weight loss clinic, might get a price on what they charge, though i am sure i will not be able to aford it. and they recomend hcg, so i am not as impressed with them as i might be.

i should call the doctor i suppose but this may sound silly but my doctor here is an MD , and i am not as confident in them for all over , not just i am sick with this stuff, as i would be if i was seeing a D.O.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    and i honestly did not mean this as a help me thread necissarly mor as i hate when people say this, and kinda a feel better thread for those others that don't find this shedding pounds thing so easy

you to let those who have a knock down drag out fight for every pound, know they are not alone
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What do you have your weekly loss set as? I wouldn't put it for more than 1 pound per week loss. I understand you lost 50 pounds in 4 months but you're body at that time had a LOT of excess weight so it was easier. Now you don't have that same junk to pull around so weight-loss does slow down & it gets frustrating. After I lost 60 pounds the scale wouldn't move for anything.

Do not get frustrated, do not quit... just understand that *your body isn't going to lose as fast as it did before*, take that, write it down & repeat repeat repeat because I sure didn't get it through my skull till I started packing on the pounds again.

Just a warning & advice!
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    i think its set at 2 pounds.