Calories?

Options
Jenners
Jenners Posts: 30 Member
Okay, so this really is a serious question. Bear with me.

I keep hearing that you should NEVER go below 1200 calories a day. Usually, I don't. On the average day I'm between 1300 -1600 cal/day. I also work out 1 hr/day and increase my calories accordingly.

However,
On the occasion I sleep in (until 11am or so) and don't start eating until a little after that, I find it difficult to eat enough calories. I snack a lot (but on low cal stuff like grapes and popcorn) and still eat normal meals. I am honestly not hungry. At all. It actually makes me feel uncomfortable thinking about trying to cram calories in just to reach the minimal levels on days like these.

I know it's bad to do this habitually, but is having it happen once or twice a month really so bad? If I weren't counting calories, I wouldn't even know I was under. Besides, I've been working so hard to BREAK the habit of eating when I'm not hungry, it just seems counter-productive.

Replies

• Jenners
    Options
    Okay, so this really is a serious question. Bear with me.

I keep hearing that you should NEVER go below 1200 calories a day. Usually, I don't. On the average day I'm between 1300 -1600 cal/day. I also work out 1 hr/day and increase my calories accordingly.

However,
    On the occasion I sleep in (until 11am or so) and don't start eating until a little after that, I find it difficult to eat enough calories. I snack a lot (but on low cal stuff like grapes and popcorn) and still eat normal meals. I am honestly not hungry. At all. It actually makes me feel uncomfortable thinking about trying to cram calories in just to reach the minimal levels on days like these.

I know it's bad to do this habitually, but is having it happen once or twice a month really so bad? If I weren't counting calories, I wouldn't even know I was under. Besides, I've been working so hard to BREAK the habit of eating when I'm not hungry, it just seems counter-productive.
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm having one of those days. It's 6 pm, I have 600 calories to go, but I already had dinner and I'm full. I trying to give up sweets, so I don't feel like having ice cream just to "get there" (now that's a first, LOL), and I'm doing the "no snacking at night" challenge, so I don't eat after 8 pm. I feel full, happy and healthy, and I made good choices all day. So what do I do? I could drink my calories (Acai juice with blueberries, Odwalla superfood)....or shall I save them for tomorrow in case I eat a bit more for Easter?

My big "calorie minus" was today the homemade salad I ate: one cucmber, one tomato, one bellpepper chopped up, served with fat free feta cheese crumbs. It's yummy and very filling, but superlow in calories.

I'm glad you asked this question!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    well, I dont know what the board consensus is, but I have to admit that once or twice a week I dont eat 1200 either. Today Im at 1000 and and still stuffed from dinner. I try not to do it too often, but it does happen for me.

If you are WAY far away eat some peanut butter, or almonds.. something high in calories but good for you. if you are close, IMO id say its fine. Just listen to your body and if you are hungry eat.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    once or twice a month is nothing to worry about

the end

(now watch...this thread will turn into the 456723 thread about eating your calories)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    once or twice a month is nothing to worry about

the end

(now watch...this thread will turn into the 456723 thread about eating your calories)

:huh:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem! :bigsmile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I wake up after 11am I do not force myself to eat the calories I should have had at breakfast time...because no matter what time I wake up I still try to hit the sack by 12mid and no food after 6pm...this works for me but Im sure everyone has their own way of doing things
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm having one of those days. It's 6 pm, I have 600 calories to go, but I already had dinner and I'm full. I trying to give up sweets, so I don't feel like having ice cream just to "get there" (now that's a first, LOL), and I'm doing the "no snacking at night" challenge, so I don't eat after 8 pm. I feel full, happy and healthy, and I made good choices all day. So what do I do? I could drink my calories (Acai juice with blueberries, Odwalla superfood)....or shall I save them for tomorrow in case I eat a bit more for Easter?

My big "calorie minus" was today the homemade salad I ate: one cucmber, one tomato, one bellpepper chopped up, served with fat free feta cheese crumbs. It's yummy and very filling, but superlow in calories.

I'm glad you asked this question!

Where can you get fat free feta cheese crumbs?:love:
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I got it in a Fred Meyer store. They have a "special cheese island" (the regular cheese is in a different location).
    It's called President Fat Free Feta, Crumbled; comes in a 6 oz packaging, one serving has 35 calories, and 0 fat.
    The bottom says: Distributed by Lactalis USA Commercial, po box 1806 New York, NY 10150
    1-800-641-8306 www.presidentcheese.com
    :smile:
  • Jenners
    Options
    Thanks!